Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part 2

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Sending it out...I've tried to source the "kit" that all the places are using but to no avail.
Looks like any of the resto places are all using the same kit....I would rather do it myself.

I'd like to do it to say I did! That'd be a fun evening project. Any plans for an external CD changer?

I'm assuming you're adding an aux line in.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd like to do it to say I did! That'd be a fun evening project. Any plans for an external CD changer?

I'm assuming you're adding an aux line in.

So would I...although I suspect more than an evening, the tuning mechanism still works to set the stations.
The standard kit comes with a line in which I will use for my Zune.
It comes with a 50W x 4 amp, which I suspect in reality will be closer to 20WRMS x 4, which will be fine for me after I do sound dampening.
I may incorporate a 6 x 9 or 8 x 10 sub using the line outs, but for my purposes, putting some decent door speakers in and a dual VC dash speaker will probably fit the bill.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
How does the wiring work for the center channel? I skipped hooking mine up in the dent because I wasn't sure how I'd do it without piggy-backing another speaker.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's simply a 4 channel amp with fader. So the setup (what I would do) is run the door speakers as the "rear" and the dual voice coil dash speaker as the "front".
The dual voice coil speakers simply have 2 sets of connections to them...just like a sub, only in this case you are connecting a left/right signal to the full range speaker as opposed to a summed mono signal (typically) in a sub application.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Okay, I see how that works. Thanks for the clarification.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They don't offer that at my Home Depot. smilietease

Very nice haul, Duncan. That speedo cable is a gem!

I teach the course....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The speedo cable was a source of worry....that foam bushing was like a petrified piece of wood on my original one and any aftermarket ones I looked at appeared not to come with it.
I might sleep with it tonight :D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I teach the course....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The speedo cable was a source of worry....that foam bushing was like a petrified piece of wood on my original one and any aftermarket ones I looked at appeared not to come with it.
I might sleep with it tonight :D

Don't forget the speedo lube. :wasntme:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe one day you will remind me to send you those a/c vents smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Maybe one day you will remind me to send you those a/c vents smilietease

I did...right after the last time you told me to remind you...:rofl:
I'm a ways away from vent installation :wasntme:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
:rolling laugh:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On a related note, I got 2 chrome seat XLT covers from DC on this trip.
All I have to say is one word................."perfect"
Considering they are reproductions, the "Ford" logo and engineering # is part of the item...I compared them to my worn originals....you CANNOT tell them apart.

primetime

sawmill slave
I was curious, how do you plan on dressing the engine? Are you dressing those 434 cubes of goodness to look stock for the sleeper look, or are you going to add some shiny stuff to make people wonder and look close?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I was curious, how do you plan on dressing the engine? Are you dressing those 434 cubes of goodness to look stock for the sleeper look, or are you going to add some shiny stuff to make people wonder and look close?

The block and bracketry will be powdercoated in Ford blue. Intake and exhaust will be ceramic coated in a "chrome" type of ceramic coating. The valve covers and air cleaner will be of a "Ford Racing" type.
My hope is that from outward appearance, the truck will look factoryish.
The fuel injection closely resembles a Holley carb.
Rims will be Centerline Wilderness type, probably a 17'' with BFG A/T's

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
On a related note, I got 2 chrome seat XLT covers from DC on this trip.
All I have to say is one word................."perfect"
Considering they are reproductions, the "Ford" logo and engineering # is part of the item...I compared them to my worn originals....you CANNOT tell them apart.

What do they look like?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts