Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part 2

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
^^^ Can't have too many of those. Extra parts always come in handy. I have to try and convince the other half that I always need extra parts.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No, still waffling on it...may just wind up keeping the original gears and changing the speedo gear to compensate.
The original plan was not to change the gears, that's why I changed the 1st/2nd gear ratio in the transmission.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Keeping the original 3.50 gears, will just change the speedo gear. Did a it more work on the frame last weekend, going to do more this weekend and am getting a trailer lined up to take it in for powdercoating.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did more grinding and filing of the frame today, nearly have it to the point of being able to be taken in for powder.
Still have to redo the factory welds and straighten the underside of the front crossmember where the steering damper mounted.
Talked with the leaf spring manufacturer today as well, they are looking into supplying me the springs in pieces so they can be dryfilmed to save me the hassle of taking them apart.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Me as well Buck, the quad has dragged on longer than it should have which is putting a damper on things due to space.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Took a break from the quad today and spent a couple of hours doing more grinding etc. Holes are time consuming, using a file on them.

79_truck_00215.JPG

79_truck_00417.JPG

79_truck_00617.JPG

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Took a break from the quad today and spent a couple of hours doing more grinding etc. Holes are time consuming, using a file on them.

79_truck_00215.JPG

79_truck_00417.JPG

79_truck_00617.JPG

Looks like both our trucks were manufactured in San Jose - GOOD CRACKER!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Good eye Doug!..and yes..I hear it is a shopping mall now.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Good eye Doug!..and yes..I hear it is a shopping mall now.

A Ford shopping mall, I hope! smilieFordlogo

How far up toward the front was the VIN located on the frame? I haven't located mine yet. I should have done that when the engine was pulled. :headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just in front of where the cab sits...if my decrepit memory serves me right, I think there is another one stamped in as well.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Guys, I really don't know when it will be completed, it seems the best laid plans get interrupted by other projects etc. Things always seem to take longer than what I had thought (frame as an example). I'm hoping to get it as perfect as I can.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Since today's plans went in the crapper due to rain, I spent more time on the frame.
Seems there is more than I would have thought...go figure.
First couple of pics was where I drilled out a rivet and it wandered off center, so it had to be filled with weld.
Started by filling some rough spots where mud/sand had got trapped behind the front spring mounts.
I might use urethane between the pieces when they go together to keep crap out of gap.
Started on the front crossmember welds, I was going to just leave the raw bead but then I thought that might look kinda crappy with the powdercoat...so grind and fill it was.
Could have laid thicker beads but I was being anal about trying to follow the factory contours :D
Even made a little video.

79_Truck_0039.JPG

79_Truck_00418.JPG

79_Truck_01016.JPG

79_Truck_01213.JPG

79_Truck_01710.JPG

79_Truck_01812.JPG

79_Truck_0205.JPG

79_Truck_02310.JPG

79_Truck_02413.JPG

79_Truck_0259.JPG

79_Truck_0287.JPG