Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part 2

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
That IS a sweet haul! The truck is going to come out great, keep up the good work Duncan.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Mike, it sure seems to be taking a while to complete....:rofl: :rofl:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I gotta hand it to you Duncan,your doing it all the right way by paying extreme efforts to all the details of the build.your very fortunate to be able to pull off this kind of restoration,that many of us just simply cannot due to other means in life.It takes a lot of time,Patience and Major commitment,a lot of support from the wife..lol (you know what i mean hehe) and major bucks to do this without effecting the priorities in life.I envy you...lol.your going to end up with a "Perfect Build" when this is completed and the results of your efforts will come back to you.I also noticed that when frustration sets in you go to something else or take some time off which is what you need to do.My Father instilled this into me as well,he would see me get frustrated at times in my youth while i was going through the Automotive learning curve and would always tell me.Walk way from it for a bit and cool off,think about what your doing.when you go back to it,it will fall into place.this advice always works for me to this very day.in any type of project i may undertake.Keep up the good work!! cant wait to see the completed Truck!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What are you doing for wheels?

Leaning towards Centerline Wilderness series in a 17 or 18..

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=12259&type=vehicle&data=14

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=12250&type=vehicle&data=14

I gotta hand it to you Duncan,your doing it all the right way by paying extreme efforts to all the details of the build.your very fortunate to be able to pull off this kind of restoration,that many of us just simply cannot due to other means in life.It takes a lot of time,Patience and Major commitment,a lot of support from the wife..lol (you know what i mean hehe) and major bucks to do this without effecting the priorities in life.I envy you...lol.your going to end up with a "Perfect Build" when this is completed and the results of your efforts will come back to you.I also noticed that when frustration sets in you go to something else or take some time off which is what you need to do.My Father instilled this into me as well,he would see me get frustrated at times in my youth while i was going through the Automotive learning curve and would always tell me.Walk way from it for a bit and cool off,think about what your doing.when you go back to it,it will fall into place.this advice always works for me to this very day.in any type of project i may undertake.Keep up the good work!! cant wait to see the completed Truck!!

Thanks...that sums it up pretty much on the money.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Leaning towards Centerline Wilderness series in a 17 or 18..

Nice classic wheels. They will fit nicely. I had 33" tires on 15" wheels and they still didn't fill the wheel well.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Doug, I wanted to keep with something that would look a bit retro.
The truck had 31 or 32'' tires on it, I will be keeping them at that size.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Something is bound to happen if you keep watching :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There has been things going on behind the scenes...I've spent quite a bit of time investigating riveting the frame back together.

At this point I'm still not sure what to do, I need 7/16 round head solid rivets and the only practical way to install them is to do it hot.

Most commercial tools using the .401 shank will only handle a 3/8 max rivet, at this point I'm thinking about getting a few rivets and doing some experimentation, possibly making my own tool.
As far as a bucking bar, I'm thinking that a machine shop would be my best bet and maybe make a couple up with different sizes.

The other thoughts are to use a button head bolt and weld up the head so it looks like a rivet...but I'm not sure if I like that or not.

Last thought is to bolt it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I guess it helped to write it down and then read it.

I ordered up a pile of rivets today and am investigating an air hammer.

http://www.eairtool1.com/servlet/the-1467/Ingersoll-Rand-6A-Pneumatic/Detail

It appears you are on the right track Duncan. You could always peen them the old fashioned way by hand with a hammer & Bucking bar but you would have to develop your technique so you could work fast. Some have modified a ram from a hydraulic jack or press and made a c-clamp arrangement. As far as heating the rivets a torch works but if you could get your hands on a farriers forge it would be much more controlled and faster.
You may be able to rent a pneumatic rivet tool as the rivet breaker/demolition tool is the same tool with a chisel installed instead of a bucking bar.

Here are a few links that may help you out.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLzflSQ5ro&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwTAZN_00Ww&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncgq6OPmY4o

www.bigflatsrivet.com/catalog.html
www.historicmachineryservices.com/
www.rivetsinstock.com/
www.michiganpneumatic.com/default.aspx
www.michiganpneumatic.com/default.aspx

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Greg, already had checked some of those places out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Had a good talk with a fellow today and it sounds like they have everything I will need. The tool doesn't have to be as big as the one I looked at, it seems they go in sizes according to the rivet diameter.
I willl be ordering it up in the next day or two once we get a couple of other things worked out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts