Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove it to work, thought it would be warmer this morning, hopefully it warms up through the afternoon.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Replaced the belts on the '78 today. I wanted to wait until I tear into the front of the engine, but one of the belts was squealing pretty bad. I'm glad I did. One was just about to crack in half.

I put on some Goodyear Gatorbacks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I bought a '3 month old' Holley 670 Truck Avenger...this thing has been giving me fits. Not because I can't tune/rebuild a carb...but because of the condition I was told it was in when I bought it. 'Bolt on and go'...from a member on another forum. Body of the carb looked good, tossed it on the Bronco...crud and sludge just backed up out the vent tube. No biggie, crack it open, nothing but sludge and rust...clean it out all nice and purdy like. Put it back on, still not running right...apparently I missed the crack in the float...so now I'm waiting on that. Also went ahead and ordered a couple street avenger rebuild kits for the one coming off the Bronco and going on to Red as well as the one coming off Red.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think I would have to post pictures of what that guy sold you on that forum.

I took two of the rust...and my buddy got a video of the crap backing out of the vent tubes. I've had successful transactions with the guy before, and for the price...I'm still money ahead. I did let him know I wasn't overly pleased though.

But what I want to know is...how can it have sludge AND rust??? I figure the sludge is from being put away with gas in it...but I figured that would prevent rust. Unless there was water in the gas or rust in the tank??? Or the carb was left out in the rain.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That sucks about the carb Ben. At least you are still money ahead and can rebuild it. Let me know how it runs when you get it all rebuilt. I am gonna go Holley at some point with both my trucks because I am just not happy with edelbrock. The truck avenger or street avenger is the one I am looking at.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That sucks about the carb Ben. At least you are still money ahead and can rebuild it. Let me know how it runs when you get it all rebuilt. I am gonna go Holley at some point with both my trucks because I am just not happy with edelbrock. The truck avenger or street avenger is the one I am looking at.

Thanks Buck. I think the TA's retail for close to $400, after the cost of the carb, shipping and rebuild parts...I'll still only have about $200 in it. I suppose that cheap I should have known it wasn't bolt on ready. All I've run for years are the Street Avengers...PN 80-783c. That's a 650cfm echoke vac secondary carb. I've had zero issues out of them, short of needing a rebuild every 5 years or so due to sitting. Like I said, I have one on the Bronco and one on Red right now, and two on the shelf...so I like them. Only reason I snagged a TA was because I'm hoping to gear the Bronco toward a little more offroad use.

That said...the Kris and Paul pointed me in the direction of QuickFuel, and if I were buying a new carb again...I think I'd give them a look. A little more expensive, but if you call them up directly to place an order, give them your specs, and they'll tune the carb so it's ready to throw on when it gets to your door.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I did like Quick Fuel when I had them build me an E85 carb for my 77. I ended up selling it to a mud racer and still going strong when I went back to gas. I may look at them too now that you mention it.

Well a $330 rebuild later on a supposed $125 NOS carb and the truck is a running pretty decent not sure yet if it will smog but am hoping, swapped out the remainder of the vacuum line with new ones, retimed to 14 deg as per the emissions sticker underhood, bypassed leaking heater core for now. Truck drives pretty nice and although I have yet to replace any of the original bushings, it drives nice and the untouched brakes are still locking the wheels when slammed down. Took the skeptical wife for a ride and she liked it and said, " Rides very nice, you are going to paint it though aren't yousmilietease Yes a green light whoo Hooo!!! Well first things first, lets see it pass smog first. I did receive my taller coils I am going to experiment with this weekend. My truck sits at 15" coils laden. I need 2" of lift to level the truck how I would like it. The new coils are almost 19" unladen, wondering if they will compress/sag 2" once ladened? Hope so, These things are beefy to say the least and I got the Variable rate so we will see. The picture below shows 9 coils I went out and counted 13 so pic is not accurate. How easy is it to change the pan seals on the truck? I had a few drop weep out after runningg it for about 45 minutes(mama don't likes the drips)smilieIagree
Moog_CC860_S.jpg

10154353_10201904839050081_2010257888_n.jpg

Last edited:

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
All I did to my Dent today, and let it run for abou a half hour, and I had moved it back and forth a few times to keep things limbered up and in working condition, started up on the third time, after pumping the gas a few times. Well I'm eagerly waiting for better weather.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
It wasn't today, but a couple days ago we had some decent weather and the road were clean so I finally got the 75 out after I had fixed a float in the eddy carb and seemed to run ok going to Home Depot for some wall paneling and some 2x4s. Heater even worked pretty good. I love the 8 foot bed for hauling. The wife even went with. She made a comment...."dang you keep this cleaner than anything else". Why is it that my 01 Lincoln cont. I don't seem to have time to clean the interior, but my trucks I always have time:)

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I think it's because our trucks are our babies. and I think that's because we love them, my 07 Colorado is dirty inside, but my 78 F-150 is clean , so we can assume that these are our babies.

With the front so low though I can not fit the 33" I want to run on the old school Vector-like mags I got for it. I don't want to hit the fenders or chew the new tires that will get installed.IMO I have always like my vehicles level, with that said I do plan to tow and am removing the helper springs and installing an airbag system. That way I can have my cake and it it too.
1504138_10201274914382358_1359375696_n.jpg

Just failed my smog test on the 79. Everything was a pass except the CO2 which was way out of whack. Gone have to start backtracking. This is a 460/c6 CA vehicle all the smog is intact after reinstalling what was laying there from the PO's handywork. Carb was just rebuilt, vacuum lines all replaced, timed to 14 deg. as per the underhood sticker. The smog guy just read off a crap load of stuff that could be affecting it. Where to start boys is the ? Am I to understand that it is getting to much fuel and not enough air, is that right? I did notice the the flapper on the aircleaner is not opening when motors already nice and hot, I know the flapper works cause if I remove the vacuum hose it slams shut remove it and it opens. I am thinking that small sensor whatchumacallit under the cleaner that has vacuum to it might me the culprit, if so could it be the cause of the high CO2? Help!!!!!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Finally got around to dropping the rear axle cover on my supercab to change out the gear oil. God knows how long ago it was changed. Just letting it drain over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles