Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project: New Engine

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with Jasper like I had planned. Saving money was not worth the aggravation. Autozone is sending me a rear main seal and one piece oil pan gasket. So far that is about it. I would never recommend buying an engine from them even if it cost $100. It is quite depressing knowing I have to take it all apart again, but it is easy to do. I'll probably take it apart next Saturday if I can get my friend to come down and we will get it done in a few hours. I talked to the engine company as well. They want me to run dye through the motor and mail them the seal then pay me the cost of the seal. I told the guy that is just a waste of time to get reimbursed $10 for a seal. They won't pay me the labor because I installed it myself. They said their book shows it is ok to install newer style heads on the engine so I'm beat there as well. Lesson learned. I'm almost tempted to put in some rear main sealer and see if it just swells the seal up for good. Opinions on that?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well...I hope when it is officially in and done, you won't have any more problems for another 30 years. But I'm not gonna lie, when you said you were going through AZ, I just cringed...personally I've never had good luck from any parts I've gotten there...gaskets, starters, alternators, batteries, etc.

As for the rear main sealer...a bunch of guys don't like it, they think it's too thick, and wonder what it's doing to the rest of the engine...but I've used the stuff several times in different rigs and SWEAR by it. I figure it's no thicker than Lucas...and the sealer does work really well. I put a bottle of the BAR's Rear main stop leak in my current Bronco a year ago...at the time, it would leave a 4" puddle under the Bronco when it was parked over night. I put the stop leak in, haven't had a problem since (althought, I thought it started leaking again a month or so again...turned out it was just a VC gasket). I will say though, it is merely a band aid...and if/when it does start leaking again...the seal has deteriorated worse than it was originally. But like I said, I've gone as long as 3 years and sold a vehicle with no more leaks... but I've also had vehicles go as little as a year and start leaking again.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I may just try the sealer and fresh oil and see if anything changes. If I can squeeze even a year out of it and enjoy driving I'll be happy. Then I can do a nice new exhaust system with glasspacks.

I used to be a die hard glasspack fan but I really do like the way my truck sounds with some well-broken in Flowmasters and echo tips. The fender well exit headers help...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the heads up on the rear main sealer Ben :)

No worries...at first I thought it was nuts, but I needed to try something...best $10 band aid I ever bought.

I may just try the sealer and fresh oil and see if anything changes. If I can squeeze even a year out of it and enjoy driving I'll be happy.

I say go for it...even if the leak is too big, I'm sure you've spent $10 in worse ways...hahaha.

I used to be a die hard glasspack fan but I really do like the way my truck sounds with some well-broken in Flowmasters and echo tips. The fender well exit headers help...

I'm gonna punch you in the throat if you keep advocating those Blowmasters...hahahaha.

I'm gonna punch you in the throat if you keep advocating those Blowmasters...hahahaha.

If you heard my truck, you wouldn't say that ;)

I have a Magnaflow on my '05 and it sounds pretty sick too. I get compliments at the red light sometimes lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not gonna get back into the FM debate again...just not my style...especially on these trucks.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I got the rear main sealer. Will probably change oil tomorrow and add it. Still waiting for Autozone to get seals. Hopefully the sealer will stop this:

leak01.jpg

Not as big of a puddle as the old motor left, but still very frustrating with only about 90 miles on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts