Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project: New Engine

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yup it was crazy. I had one of those tupperware (sp?) containers just to hold oil in the bed. It used like 2 quarts in 5 days or something like that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hell that right there pays for the new engine.....

Yup it was crazy. I had one of those tupperware (sp?) containers just to hold oil in the bed. It used like 2 quarts in 5 days or something like that.

Geez, you guys nailed it...if I didn't have to pay for the oil consumption in the Bronco, I coulda paid for replacement parts 2-3 times over it seems. I need a quart every 200 miles, and it looks like the rear main is starting go too, seal sweller doesn't seem to be working anymore.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Geez, you guys nailed it...if I didn't have to pay for the oil consumption in the Bronco, I coulda paid for replacement parts 2-3 times over it seems. I need a quart every 200 miles, and it looks like the rear main is starting go too, seal sweller doesn't seem to be working anymore.

When I first really noticed the oil problem I didn't think much of the cost but it sure adds up quick

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well after a big hassle with parts the engine is in. I still have to put trans in and I'm debating on which bellhousing of mine to use. The one that is in the truck has a little clip holding the fork and if you bump it slightly it will pop out. I have a newer bellhousing which seems to be a better design but I think it is narrower. I'll figure that out tomorrow and see which is better to use. I think the narrower one will work fine because I had to drill new holes for the crossmember anyway using the old bellhousing. The shorter one should make it fit the original holes hopefully.

Enggoingin01.jpg

enginein01.jpg

enginein02.jpg

flywheel01.jpg

clutchdisk01.jpg

pressureplate01.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks good man...hope the bellhousing situation works its self out for ya too.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks. I'll let you guys know tomorrow about the bellhousing. One is from a 1971 and one is from a 1980, but the 1980 one is the one that came with the transmission. I should stick with the 1971 one though if the clip doesnt come undone again. We shall see. I'm shooting for Friday to drive it because I can't stay late tomorrow and still need to do a complete rear brake job. So far I have $2,000 into engine, engine hoist, clutch, flywheel, front pads, rotors, calipers, brake hoses, wheel bearings, seals, rear shoes, drums, hardware, wheel cylinders, and axle bearings.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ok guys have to go with the 1971 bellhousing. It is not that the newer one was actually shorter. It was shaped different enough that it wouldn't clear the floorpans. Oh well. Too bad though because it was a lot lighter than the old one. I could have saved a few drops of gas with the decreased weight :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well throw that biiiiiiiatch together and get to drivin her.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Workin on it. Hopefully I'll get it all done by tomorrow. I was hoping for a slow day at work to squeeze some time in on my truck . But being busy is better than nothing.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Trans is in. A friend came down to the shop and we got that done in like 10 minutes. He may come tomorrow and do some stuff while I'm working on other cars. I should have it fired up tomorrow after work.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Fingers are crossed...hope it goes well for you man.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Should fire it up tonight smiliepeelout

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Suhweet...don't forget to take vids, to share such a special moment with the rest of your FTF family. It's like your truck's rebirth.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will. Not of initial start up though. Wouldn't want to record a failure or capture any profanity in case there are any minors here...just in case :rofl: I'll get a few though. You guys will probably like the exhaust even though it will be getting done over again when I have money.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
LOL Tex. I might have to just to pay for what I put into it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Here's a good one. I went to put the spark plugs in...the ones that take a 13/16" socket. They don't fit. It needs a spark plug with 5/8" socket. The heads are from the 80s with a 1974 block!!! And I think that must be what is causing my headers to now hit the crossmember. I spent over an hour just trying to figure out how to get the exhaust to work. I might have to put manifolds on. I'm going to yell at the Autozone people tomorrow especially since they told me only one person there could get me the right info to find the plugs I need. I'm assuming the heads are from the 80s at least since the smaller plug. Does anyone by chance know the motorcraft number? Maybe SP-450? I looked up that number for a 1983 F100. I am beyond frustrated and pissed off right now.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts