Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project: New Engine

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry bud...that really sucks. Don't know the PN either. But those are what my grampa used to call peanut plugs...same size the ol' M blocks takes.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah this is just a disaster. I think I'm just gonna make them drive back and forth all day with different plug numbers just to piss them off all day :rofl: As far as the headers I have no idea what to do. I knew the price was too good to be true. I wish I noticed the plugs before I put it in. I would have sent the whole thing back. I don't know of any benefit to putting these heads on. Maybe the parts guy has more info on the motor or why this was done.

Edit: I looked up a 1983 F100 and a 1991 Mustang with 5.0L. Both show SP-450 under A/Z website. I think that should work for me. Now to figure out the exhaust. I might be able to heat the headers and bend them up a bit. I'll see what my friend says tomorrow when he looks at it.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well the good thing is Autozone is being extremely helpful with this. Hopefully I can get it done in a few days.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Now I'm trying to get some manifolds to work with this. But Autozone is really making up for this so I can't complain. The guy even offered to order me another engine (some performance one, but I don't think it has enough to make it worth redoing everything) if I choose at their expense, but if I can get them to find me some manifolds that will work I'll be happy for that. This way it works out well for me and Autozone. So it looks like I have to be patient for a few more days. The people I spoke to last night who couldn't help me out did call the guy who sold me the engine, so he showed up before he went to work to see exactly what I needed and what he could do to help.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Truck runs! But the clutch or linkage binds and the pedal won't go to the floor :headbang: 'wtf'

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Linkage is moving fine it looks like. I think the pressure plate is a problem. I'm going to put my old pressure plate in. At least I can start it up finally.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad things are starting to straighten out for you. Hope you can get all the bugs worked out and get driving soon. I'm anxious to hear a vid.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hoping for tomorrow. Putting my old pressure plate in. Autozone is ordering a different clutch for me, but if the old plate works out that's fine by me.

Well thats good yer getting it going, it seems like one thing after another. Makes me wonder whats gunna happen this summer when I put a new motor and trans in my truck

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hopefully it goes better for you. I'm just glad that Autozone is being really good about the problems I'm having with doing this. The guy came down yesterday to see the engine run and see the defective pressure plate. My friend is coming around 3pm to take my trans. out while I'm working on customer's cars.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Clutch works now. Just have to do some adjusting and put shifter together. I'm welding the exhaust to the headers to let it run for awhile tomorrow. Then when my cherrybombs come in I will put the manifolds on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet...down the home stretch now huh? Hope there are no more bumps in the road...good luck.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks should be driveable tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. At least I can drive further now. When I get some more money I'm probably going to get rid of the points and put an msd ignition and distributor in.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It runs and moves!!! :nana: I just have to do the exhaust now.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm saving the video for when the cherrybombs go on. Hopefully they get here soon. I can't bug anyone about the wait since they are free. I have to install the manifolds this weekend. The exhaust welded to the headers is not working too well for me.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yep my test drive even included towing my utility trailer 15 miles. I still have the exhaust issues and need to to do my rear brakes and a minor adjustment to the clutch because the pedal doesn't come all the way to the top but other than that so far everything is great. I will make a video maybe tomorrow. It might be a while before I get the exhaust issue fixed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts