Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project: New Engine

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Time to say good bye to "Old Smokey"!

I stayed after work on Saturday for 3 hours. I removed the transmission, the exhaust, headers, and any wiring, etc. Tomorrow I will have the egine out and remove what needs to go on the new engine. I would have had the engine out yesterday, but forgot to get the grade 8 bolts to put the new engine on the stand and bolts to hold the chain to the old engine. OOPS!

My new hoist and my hood under some blankets

hoist01.jpg

New Engine. My part time guy asked if it was one of those new fancy overhead cam 302s :rofl:

newengine01.jpg

All my parts in part time guy's toolcart smilieneenar

cart01.jpg

My exhaust that can be removed in a matter of minutes

exh01.jpg

Engine ready to be taken out

oldengine01.jpg

oldengine02.jpg

My transmission

trans01.jpg

The new motor will be painted black. I am problably going to have blue heater hose and vaccuum hose. I liked the blue engine, but it got dirty quick and did not look good anymore. Black will hide everything.

I also found out that I have to put new brake shoes, drums, hardware, wheel cylinders, and adjuster kits. And to think I thought my fiancee cost me a lot of money!!! 'smiliedoh'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey man...happy you're gettin some progress on it...can't wait to see the finished product. I also have to commend you on making your part time guy's tool chest your parts' beeeeeeeeeatch....haha.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Going in early tomorrow to get the motor out and new one unpacked and on to stand. I'm shooting to start up Tues. or Wed. depending on how busy at work and all. Earlier if my boss lets me work on it during hours. Nope no toploader 4 speed unfortunately. Just a 3 speed. And yeah I'm sure the part time guy will be thrilled if he sees his tool cart haha.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks guys. Motor is out now and starting to get everything ready for paint. Will post some pics later hopefully.

Edit: I just ordered more parts :headbang:

I've actually never put this much into a truck in one time LOL.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Not much progress today. Waiting on more parts such as new oil pick up tube before I get oil pan back on and a new flywheel because it cost the same for a new one as it did to resurface mine. Go figure... It is painted black on top. Just needs a few more coats and when pan is on I will take some pictures. I'm not going for a perfect paint job. Just excited to get it back in and drive it :)

FWIW, after seeing traces of yellow, which I'm assuming is the Lucas additive stuck to the top of my valve covers I wonder how well it really mixes with the oil. Plus when I drained it this time it was like sludge with only around 125 miles on it. My oil was always dirty due to blowby and all but never this bad looking. It says on bottle to help keep new engines new, but I don't think I'll ever be using it again.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Still waiting for my parts. Not to thrilled about that... :guns:

A picture of the engine black. Still no oilpan on due to waiting for a new oil pickup.

newmotorblack01.jpg

The big hole in my truck that is creating a hole in my pocket.

enginebay01.jpg

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks Steve. Looking forward to getting it back together and drive it :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah man...what's the outlook today???? Get your parts in?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Nice valve covers.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
No parts yet!!! UGH! Looks like this is going to go into next week. I'll update when I know so more info. :box2:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dang, that sucks, who did you go through for parts???

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Autozone. This way everything is theirs and if it all messes up it's their fault. So far I've gotten a free creeper for waiting and money off of a spindle nut socket for a Super Duty I'm working on. I told the guy starting Monday he has to drive me to work every morning :rofl: I'm trying to be patient because they are giving me a ton of money off on everything. They even had a flywheel sitting on the shelf for me.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks. I'm excited to get it back in and fire it up. At least it came pre-tested with 10 minute run time, so as long as I did a good job with all the gaskets I should be good for quite some time :). Will be nice not to have to carry 5 quarts of oil around with me all the time.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts