Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 78 SC build/question thread

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
What are the little plastic keepers that hold the rods in the tailgate to the latch itself? I got some universal type ones at AZ and they worked for about 10 min about the third time I pulled the latch to open my tailgate.
E6AZ5421952A (replaced D3TZ1021952A & E3TZ1021952C) .. Nylon Tailgate Rod Clip / Available from Ford.

MSRP each: $0.85 // PARTSGUYED.COM price each: $0.61.

Fits: 1973/96 F100/350 Stylesides / Myriad 1979/2011 FoMoCo Passenger Car door lock rods.

Last edited:
Tailgatelatch.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Illustration Section 400, Page 4 is the 1973/79 Ford truck parts catalog pic for the tailgate and attaching parts. The above pic looks like it came from a Mitchell manual.

Notice the clipin the Ford pic has the same basic number as shown above: 431C56 but...

When you look up this basic part number in the Text, it says refer to basic part number 21952

Ok I'm risking looking like a total idiot (more so than usual) but I cant figure it out even after searching. So here is the deal: I ran across a post on here that said you could figure your rearend gearing by turning the drive shaft and counting how many turns per one wheel revolution.

I jacked up my rear end today and tried it and after 20 mins of disbelief and a bunch of tries, I kept getting 1.75 or so. Can that be? I'm running 35" tires and a 351m and wouldn't think all that would mesh well.

Am I missing something? To be clear I am turning my rear tire 360 degrees and counting the number of turns my drive shaft makes. The drive shaft turns roughly 1 3/4 times per wheel turn.

You mark the tire with chalk at BDC ..and also place an item on the ground that corresponds to that mark

Now you turn the driveshaft paying attention to how many turns it takes to bring the mark on the tire back to the marker.

IIRC it will be Minimum 2 3/4 turns up to 4 1/10 th turns

I didnt do any marking or anything but 1.75 driveshaft turns per 1 wheel turn was what I came up with. I even did it both in gear and in neutral. We used the valve stem at the very top and measured all the way back to that point.

I did notice there was a lot of play or slack in the whole thing. I could spin the tire 5 degrees or so before the drive shaft ever even hinted at moving.

But wouldnt it be six one way half a dozen another? You say do it and I'll give it a shot next time I get on a flat spot, but I was thinking it wouldnt matter which I turned.

It makes sense I suppose. As you were saying before though... will me spinning the drive shaft change my outcome as opposed to doing it by spinning the tire?

I don't have a tach hooked up but it feels/sounds like I'm in the high 2k rpms at 55-60 mph.

I do have bigger fish to fry other than my gearing like my heater that seems to be possessed and short of getting a young priest and an old priest... It's going to a shop where they can fix it.

Were both wheels off the ground ?
You Turn the driveshaft not the tire.

You have to mark the driveshaft as well to MAKE SURE the ratio is kept track of...not memory.

Ford Truck Articles