Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 78 SC build/question thread

I had a 180 in there and it ran a little warm on the dash gauge (cant get the temp sensor out to but the new temp gauge thermometer in the spot). I pulled it and went without a stat.

Why would you stay to not go with a 160? It's only running a little on the warm side and when summer hits.... it'll melt if I dont do something.

the general reason for a 180 is that is where the engine needs to be for effecincy (hacked that spelling:D). I know what you mean though these guages vary lots on these trucks it is best for peace of mind to add a better guage to see what is really going on. My blue truck showes over half way on the guage at 180 but my bronco is nice & low. Basicly saying the dash guage is not very accurate & 180 is good year around just need to check to make shure with a good guage how hot it is really running.
John

Do't go by the gauge all the time..they can be faulty..
especially going higher

There is a problem with these trucks and the ICVR system when corrosion takes place

The 1st time I freaked out was climbing a mountain pass with a heavy semi behind me.

The temp Gauge and Fuel gauge pinned to the high side

It has done is several times until I cleaned all the contacts on the PC and ground for the cluster

To know the coolant temp use a candy thermometer with ther rad cap off and needle as high as it goes.

Normally overheating blows coolant out the overflow tube

If it doesn't do that.. you're fine

Just make sure the coolant isn't filled higher than 1" below the rad cap sealing ring

These engines are meant to run at 209*F and if you remove the t-stat the engine may run markedly lower thus causing premature wearing of engine parts.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm sitting here looking at the door tag and it's been painted and I dont have anything to take off the paint with here. Here are the digits below the VIN

755 / UP / X143 / FZM / G / 16A / 06400 / 1978 / 57
WOW! Your truck have a 755" wheelbase? It must be a real bear to drive and park.

But...755 is supposed to be 155.

155" Wheelbase.

UP: U = Cream / P = Dark Nectarine Metallic.

X143 = F150 4WD Super Cab Pickup, 6,400 lbs. GVWR

FZM: FZ = Saddle & Tan Vinyl w/Saddle Appointments-Ranger XLT / M = Super Cab Styleside Pickup.

G = C6 Cruise-O-Matic.

16A: 16 = Ford 9" Rear Axle / 3.50-1 / non Limited Slip / 3,750 lb. Rear Axle Capacity // A = Adjustable Steering Column w/Power Steering.

6,400 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

57 = Houston TX Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.

No such thing as a BODY code of F2M, it has to be FZM.
-------------------------------------------------------
Thermostats: 351C (1970/74 Passenger Cars) 351M & 400 use a unique t/stat, not the same as anything else. May be hard to find in autoparts stores.

The factory installed t/stat was 192 degrees. A 180 degree t/stat was available at the parts counter, and this was it. These two t/stats were all that were available.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weatherstrips: The finest quality w/strips are reproduced by Dennis Carpenter in the USA, who sells them to the other repro parts sellers and to the general public.

Some repro parts sellers offer made in China w/strips. These are crap and don't fit worth a damn. You get what you pay for, so... Buy the best and cry only once!

John in AZ said:
You can order a new 'stick on tag' from the Martini [confused] Reports people.
Huh? The only martini I know about is a beverage. Or Martini: A single shot rifle used by the Brits in the Crimean War and against the Zulus in Africa.

martiauto.com offers: Build sheet info, copies of: original window stickers, Warranty Plates, Certification Labels, and any other specs your heart desires.

There is a fee (which escalates depending on how much info you want) for all these services, which is known in the hobby as a MARTI Report.

In the late 1980's, FoMoCo was planning to THROW AWAY all the info that pertained to 1967/79 FoMoCo vehicles.

Kevin Marti, a Mustang "nut" in Phoenix AZ found out about FoMoCo's plans, and got ALL of it.

While you can request a build sheet from FoMoCo (it's free)...it takes 6-8 weeks to receive it, cuz FoMoCo has to get the info from Marti.

Last edited:
Ah... thanks for the info gents!! What's funny is I used to tell people I knew a lot about these old trucks.

Now I know I dont know my butt from a hole in the ground :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It's acutally shorter than 155" since one of the PO cut it from a long wheel base to be a short wheel base. I don't know that it even measures out the same as a swb SC does. I like the look of it though.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's acutally shorter than 155" since one of the PO cut it from a long wheel base to be a short wheel base. I don't know that it even measures out the same as a swb SC does. I like the look of it though.
A short bed Super Cab has a 140" wheelbase, a long bed Super Cab has a 155" wheelbase.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have another question for you (imagine that, ME having a question). On my doors I have noticed the gap the window sits in is much bigger than what it should be. I havent taken it apart and looked inside the door but was wondering if there was a bolt or bolts that pull one side of the dor in close to the other. Granted I know I need a new set of "anti rattler" rails but there is a lot of space between the inside of the door and the outside as far as the window channel goes.

Any ideas?

I bet that is a repro door.

Measure the gap and post the result.

doorcontents-1.jpg

70sDoorHardware.jpg

Sorry for the delay in reply, work has been crazy. I didnt have a tape to measure today when I went to swap cars out but I did snap a couple pictures as I was pulling up to stop lights.

1302040497.jpg

1302040496.jpg

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I had a 180 in there and it ran a little warm on the dash gauge (cant get the temp sensor out to but the new temp gauge thermometer in the spot). I pulled it and went without a stat.

Why would you stay to not go with a 160? It's only running a little on the warm side and when summer hits.... it'll melt if I dont do something.

I may have missed it, but what engine do you have?

If it's a 351m400 you need a 192 degree t-stat.

I had a 192 in it but on the dummy gauge it showed to be running pretty dang hot so I went to swap and just left it out all together. I hope this weekend to put a 192 in and call it done.

I just got home from being stranded. Went to the county line to get some beer and when I got back in the truck it would click and make a faint squealing noise. Solonoid (sp?) right? I'm going to pick up a new one and go swap it out in the morning.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you checked the condition of the battery and the cables?..including the mating surfaces where the cable attaches to the starter.

Yeah I pulled a bonehead move and had the ignition and the starter wires swapped on the solenoid. I was about to change the key switch on the cab when I looked at it again and figured out what I had done.

Thanks for the reply and letting a bonehead like me hang around!!

Ford Truck Articles