Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'll get some pics and vids. Hopefully it will only take a few days. But nothing goes as I plan and this being Easter weekend I'm not sure how much time I'll get to work on it. Working 6 days a week puts a big damper on my free time. Looks like a couple late nights at the shop this weekend. Plus the engine has been out before so everything should come apart easily and my exhaust can come out in only two pieces after the collectors so at least that part is super quick :) I also have to use my oil pan, valve covers, and timing cover so I have to do a little paiting. The motor is black and I'm gonna leave it that way I think. I will paint the valve covers, timing cover, and oil pan cast color probably.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any of you guys had problems with blowing flashers on a fairly regular basis? The Bronco has officially now gone through 3 new flashers and 1 used one that was good in the last 5-6 months. Any ideas?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
No idea Ben that sounds very strange. They usually last years... I hope someone has an answer for you.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's an incomplete thought, but it's the best I've got...

Flashers tend to blow/wear out when people pull trailers a lot. I don't get the impression you're pulling a trailer, but maybe you've got some electrical oddity that's putting more load on the circuit similar to what happens when you add several more lights to the system?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Any of you guys had problems with blowing flashers on a fairly regular basis? The Bronco has officially now gone through 3 new flashers and 1 used one that was good in the last 5-6 months. Any ideas?

Ben, are you blowing any other fuse or bulb or anything?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, are you blowing any other fuse or bulb or anything?

Nope, no other fuses or bulbs...just the flasher. IIRC, the turn signals go through that too right? If so, my turn signals are still working, it's just when I turn the E flashers on, the come on solid and don't flash. There is a warning before the eflashers stop working...my turn signals start blinking extremely fast, then within a couple days the eflashers go solid. As soon as I replace the flasher, every thing works perfectly fine for a few weeks, then starts over.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
About the only thing I can think of would be your hazard is faulty in your turn signal switch. I'm thinking that if you wouldn't have any problems with anything if you didn't use your flashers than grounding shouldn't be a problem in the sockets or wiring, but as soon as you hit the hazard switch more current is entering the thermal flasher causing it to burn out. I always hate to say, just replace the switch, but as long as the grounds are all Ok elsewhere and nothing is spliced into that particular circuit, I would think the switch is bad causing a bad current that overloads the resister inside the thermal flasher. Hopefully others will chime in here to discuss.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well daggon...it's a relatively new switch from JBG too, only about 7 months old. For the time being, I'm content just replacing the flasher every so often...but if it gets any worse, I guess I'll have to do a little more digging.

Side question...everytime I go get a flasher from O'Reilly's...they have the regular $3 Buss flasher...but then they say there is also a $9 Heavy Duty Buss flasher as well...think I should go for the HD flasher next time?

Since the break lights use the same element in the bulb is it possible there's a connection ( or short ) there ? Have you done any work to a trailer plug or harness lately ? Just some ideas to think about.
The heavy duty flasher units are to carry the extra current for the bulbs on a trailer etc.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Since the break lights use the same element in the bulb is it possible there's a connection ( or short ) there ? Have you done any work to a trailer plug or harness lately ? Just some ideas to think about.
The heavy duty flasher units are to carry the extra current for the bulbs on a trailer etc.

Well when I first got the truck...me and dad almost completely rebuilt the harness...so it's almost all new...the trailer plug was another issue, so we just snipped it out. As for the brake correlation...haven't really checked into that yet.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'd get an electronic one (flasher). They're even more spendy, but will last forever. Just be carefull if you do and make sure that your not masking another problem.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Someone left a nice little 2 ton jack in my parking lot because they broke the piece that allows the jack to pump up and down. Two minutes and a little welding and I have myself a nice little floor jack.

jack01.jpg

Here it is barely lifting the tire of my Bronco (plow truck)

jack02.jpg

Might have to modify it a little to make it more truck friendly :D

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
If you can't find the problem Ben, the heavy duty one may be the way to go. The heavy one may show you where the problem is if you know what I mean. I've seen quite a few times where it's taken a heavier fuse or a " roll pin " to find a short. Not the best way to do it but sometimes if it's hidden there's not many other options but to smoke it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you can't find the problem Ben, the heavy duty one may be the way to go. The heavy one may show you where the problem is if you know what I mean. I've seen quite a few times where it's taken a heavier fuse or a " roll pin " to find a short. Not the best way to do it but sometimes if it's hidden there's not many other options but to smoke it.

So in other words...you're saying have a fire extinguisher at the ready...hahahaha.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hey quick question. My instrument case/housing crumbled when I took it out. Are all 73 - 79 the same? I just found one with the 100mph speedo in it mines an 85.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey quick question. My instrument case/housing crumbled when I took it out. Are all 73 - 79 the same? I just found one with the 100mph speedo in it mines an 85.

I believe the casing is the same...but there are some wiring adjustments that need to be made for the 100mph speedo. I asked in a thread a little while ago, I'll do some digging and see if I can't pull it up. But yes, it is possible...Lee (UNRULEE) swapped his 85mph speedo out of his 79 with a 100mph speedo.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I think alot of people swap the 85 for the 100. It should fit. I think the only difference is the clusters in 79 said unleaded fuel. Just remember if you have gauges use a cluster with gauges. The wiring is different if you use idiot lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts