Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmm...D man's experience in those books...with any notes??? Cuz those notes could be worth a tooooooooon. Although...if you are looking to get rid of them, for less than a mil...lemme know sometime...I'm always interested in more copies.

Any "American Chopper" viewers here? if so did you watch last night, you think Paul Jr. is fired for good or was it just fabricated to make good television? i personally think it was the latter but then again i'm a cynic so what do i know...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hell I didn't even know there was a new season on, I used to watch that show all the time. Without even seeing the show, I say it's just fabricated for raitings and better television. I've seen several sources that say the majority of what happens on 'reality' tv shows is scripted. That kinda 'did it' for me, I can't watch anything now without thinking...liars.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I think the firing was part of the show. Any publicity is good publicity.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wonder how much of this thread is scripted. :(

Well...this is a drama between a man and his one true love. So, no scripts, completely autobiographical.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dag nabbit...just went out to the Bronco, set the choke, started runnin rough...tried lettin her warm up. And geezus, started smellin straight fuel, and she started blowin black worse than a competition diesel...haha, ok maybe not that bad. Anyway, took her out for a little spin, no more black smoke, but still smell fuel. I was kinda confused as to why this would happen, she spun like a top when I parked her 2 days ago...why such a sudden change in 48 hours. Anyway, looks like I get to go tinker with my carb. Any points of interest?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I would check the nitrous bottle first...
If not that then deffenitly the twin screw supercharger...

Basically what im sayin is i dont got a clue...
Good luck though ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would check the nitrous bottle first...
If not that then deffenitly the twin screw supercharger...

Basically what im sayin is i dont got a clue...
Good luck though ben.

HAHA...thanks for the input Don. I was worried about those at first too...ended up the dual reverse vortex fans went out on the Flux capacitor though...luckily I had a spare.

Seriously though...the mixtures screws backed out...so I readjusted, float level was a bit high, so I readjusted that too. Nothing hard/bad. Now no more black or raw fuel smell. I think the choke is lettin out a little early too...but it's gettin warm out now, so I'm not as worried about that right now...I'll drive 2 footed as I back outta my parking spot and call it good til winter rolls around...at which time I will have forgotten about the choke and be pissed...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yea that was my next guess...

Figured it was...you just wanted to see if I could figure it out. You know, one of those prophetic learning experiences where I epiphanize and realize, yes I can do it. So let me thank you for the opportunity Master...haha.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You are welcome young one...
Now take your knowledge and use it to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Bwahahahahahaaaa.

Yea,
Well im glad you got it all figured out ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was just going through all these pics, i never knew your rig was wrecked, how'd that happen? PO? you? nice restore anyway, are you going to put your trim back on? was that race track or just dent trim? your truck looks sweet as is but i think the side moulding would just accent that.

As a side note: how does your truck sit so high on stock springs? i know it's stock but it looks as if it has a 2" lift over other highboys, i know i could clear 35's but 37's would be pressing it, i've always admired your rig, it's one of the cleanest i've seen online.

Yes...red sure enough was wrecked. The short story is...a drunk driver (uninsured BTW)...crossed the double yellow when I was on my way home from school. I didn't have time to react. It was an old civic, and I launched off/over the hood, it ripped the front axle out completely out from under the truck. I got a little air, landed on the passenger side, slid about 100ft and came to a stop courtesy of a telephone poll catching my bed. About 75-100yds from that were middle schoolers playing in the school's field...so it coulda been worse. I was freakin out I was sooooo pissed. Nobody even got close to me for about 15-20 mins because I was so bad. Only injury I had was a bruise from the seat belt. Dad eventually gets there...and before asking whose fault it was...he said 'How do you wanna die'...because I (because it was obviously my fault according to him) just messed up the truck so bad. But after he heard some witnesses and got the police report...he said...'well now's as good a time as any to restore her.' So we did. 8 or so months later, after about 18k and becoming greeeeeeat friends with the folks at DC, she was ready for paint. So we had a 7k paint job sprayed on her at one of the best shops in the state.

As for the trim, yes it was racetrack...and at the time of the restore, my trim was dingy and woulda seriously taken away from the work we put into it...so we left it off and had the pinstripes put where the trim was supposed to be. At the time, DC had just come out with the full racetrack trim...and it was $2300 a side, and I couldn't afford another $5k in trim. Since then, I have used the oven cleaner trick to on a full set of trim...and it looks good for a driver, not for Red though. I've also picked up a set of DC trim...looks good, but I never got around to putting it on. I have another set, that I had chromed, which will be what actually does go on. However, I decided at this point, I won't put trim on until I completely redo red again...which will be new paint and a couple undercarriage corners I cut the first time around...but that's probably 2-4 years away.

As for the height, and thanks for the compliment and admiration....I've always wondered that myself, I think I just benefit from having a truck that was extreeeeeemely low mile and well taken care of. It was owned by two brother's before me...and they were/are pretty good family friends...basically all they used the truck for was to putt around on their property. So the springs were good. However, as time has progressed since I've owened, I think the springs are starting to sag a little bit on the front passenger side. The tire is starting to rub a little more, and it's getting slant that's becoming a little more visible.

My professional opinion is

You have gas ;)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That I do Dennis...that I do.

But seriously, your professional opinion...do you think I made the right assessments and proper adjustments? Because the Bronco did this on start up and got better as I drove it...still noticeable though. So the fix was on a hot carb, but it seems to have done the trick.

Yes...red sure enough was wrecked. The short story is...a drunk driver (uninsured BTW)...crossed the double yellow when I was on my way home from school. I didn't have time to react. It was an old civic, and I launched off/over the hood, it ripped the front axle out completely out from under the truck. I got a little air, landed on the passenger side, slid about 100ft and came to a stop courtesy of a telephone poll catching my bed. About 75-100yds from that were middle schoolers playing in the school's field...so it coulda been worse. I was freakin out I was sooooo pissed. Nobody even got close to me for about 15-20 mins because I was so bad. Only injury I had was a bruise from the seat belt. Dad eventually gets there...and before asking whose fault it was...he said 'How do you wanna die'...because I (because it was obviously my fault according to him) just messed up the truck so bad. But after he heard some witnesses and got the police report...he said...'well now's as good a time as any to restore her.' So we did. 8 or so months later, after about 18k and becoming greeeeeeat friends with the folks at DC, she was ready for paint. So we had a 7k paint job sprayed on her at one of the best shops in the state.

As for the trim, yes it was racetrack...and at the time of the restore, my trim was dingy and woulda seriously taken away from the work we put into it...so we left it off and had the pinstripes put where the trim was supposed to be. At the time, DC had just come out with the full racetrack trim...and it was $2300 a side, and I couldn't afford another $5k in trim. Since then, I have used the oven cleaner trick to on a full set of trim...and it looks good for a driver, not for Red though. I've also picked up a set of DC trim...looks good, but I never got around to putting it on. I have another set, that I had chromed, which will be what actually does go on. However, I decided at this point, I won't put trim on until I completely redo red again...which will be new paint and a couple undercarriage corners I cut the first time around...but that's probably 2-4 years away.

As for the height, and thanks for the compliment and admiration....I've always wondered that myself, I think I just benefit from having a truck that was extreeeeeemely low mile and well taken care of. It was owned by two brother's before me...and they were/are pretty good family friends...basically all they used the truck for was to putt around on their property. So the springs were good. However, as time has progressed since I've owened, I think the springs are starting to sag a little bit on the front passenger side. The tire is starting to rub a little more, and it's getting slant that's becoming a little more visible.

That's one helluva a story, glad to hear you came out on the better side of it, are you still up in the air regarding the trim or is it a definite go ahead? you should run a poll here and ask "trim or no trim? i like your truck as it is but personally speaking i think the trim would just give it that extra flair, it would just set if off so to speak, as for the body lean, i've seen your other thread and most ideas have already been bantied around, so i can't add much to that dilemma other then to say it's most likely just spring fatigue on that particular side, have you looked into getting them rearched? i know the cost almost makes it more reasonable to just get new springs, though i've heard pros and cons concerning superlift, skyjacker and their competitors, i know the '99-'04 superduties are supposed to be an exact fit too, keep us posted.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's one helluva a story, glad to hear you came out on the better side of it, are you still up in the air regarding the trim or is it a definite go ahead? you should run a poll here and ask "trim or no trim? i like your truck as it is but personally speaking i think the trim would just give it that extra flair, it would just set if off so to speak, as for the body lean, i've seen your other thread and most ideas have already been bantied around, so i can't add much to that dilemma other then to say it's most likely just spring fatigue on that particular side, have you looked into getting them rearched? i know the cost almost makes it more reasonable to just get new springs, though i've heard pros and cons concerning superlift, skyjacker and their competitors, i know the '99-'04 superduties are supposed to be an exact fit too, keep us posted.

Yes...the trim is definitely going back on...I looooooove the racetrack trim, but just haven't gotten around to putting it back on, and now I feel like it's too late. But it'll go back on after Red gets freshened up again. As for the springs...I'm a stickler for keeping, as much as I can, original equipment on her. So I'm thinking about getting them rearched...Got a couple shops that can do it for me, and I might have them put an extra inch or two in it for me...so I can still be on stock equipment...just with a little more height...yeah, I know, I'm cheating.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yes...the trim is definitely going back on...I looooooove the racetrack trim, but just haven't gotten around to putting it back on, and now I feel like it's too late. But it'll go back on after Red gets freshened up again. As for the springs...I'm a stickler for keeping, as much as I can, original equipment on her. So I'm thinking about getting them rearched...Got a couple shops that can do it for me, and I might have them put an extra inch or two in it for me...so I can still be on stock equipment...just with a little more height...yeah, I know, I'm cheating.

Ben I know you told me how to clean the trim. Will a buffing machine help bring the shine?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben I know you told me how to clean the trim. Will a buffing machine help bring the shine?

You gotta get that anodizing off first. However, I have tried on a few small spare pieces, a grinding wheel to get through, then went to a finer and finer wheel...then buff the $#!T out of it...it turned out alright...but I didn't really pursue it.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You gotta get that anodizing off first. However, I have tried on a few small spare pieces, a grinding wheel to get through, then went to a finer and finer wheel...then buff the $#!T out of it...it turned out alright...but I didn't really pursue it.

I guess I could have it powdered coated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts