Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hahahahaha I use a regular one without air it works alot better.

Hey smartazz....I tried the regular one as well with a 2lb hammer...no dice..the thing was damn near fused together..hehehehehe.

I know what your talking about Duncan.

I've also found that if you brace what you're banging against to keep it from moving or vibrating helps tremendously
Like jamming a 10 ft 2x4 between the drag link and the wall

It's kind of the same as trying to cut a 2x4 with a sawzall, but its vibrating so much it doesn't want to cut.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Dman...just droppin in to say kudos on the progress. Does it sting a little tearing into such a pristine original?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know what your talking about Duncan.

I've also found that if you brace what you're banging against to keep it from moving or vibrating helps tremendously
Like jamming a 10 ft 2x4 between the drag link and the wall

It's kind of the same as trying to cut a 2x4 with a sawzall, but its vibrating so much it doesn't want to cut.

That about sums it up!

Hey Dman...just droppin in to say kudos on the progress. Does it sting a little tearing into such a pristine original?

Hey Ben...good to see you back..and yes it does sting a bit!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Damn Duncan...Now I know I should have been hangin around more. That is one sweet truck!!! It looks like you are doing an awesome job !!And I can't wait to see the finished product !! Goin back in the post a ways... I would go with the blue engine and semi gloss black brackets...I think you would be really pleased with the results.
Keep up the great work !!!!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hey smartazz....I tried the regular one as well with a 2lb hammer...no dice..the thing was damn near fused together..hehehehehe.

Hmm seems a bit light I use a cut down 10 pound sledge hammer. Glad ya got it off though. I probly woulda just cut it off with a sawzall after fightin with it for an hour.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Damn Duncan...Now I know I should have been hangin around more. That is one sweet truck!!! It looks like you are doing an awesome job !!And I can't wait to see the finished product !! Goin back in the post a ways... I would go with the blue engine and semi gloss black brackets...I think you would be really pleased with the results.
Keep up the great work !!!!

Thanks Chuck...I gotta say that it sure is a lot of fun working on it!...and I'm thinking that is the color scheme that will be done.

Hmm seems a bit light I use a cut down 10 pound sledge hammer. Glad ya got it off though. I probly woulda just cut it off with a sawzall after fightin with it for an hour.

I was gonna use a BFH but I was a bit worried about the stress on the steering box....but like you said, it is off now!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Jumpin in also to say keep up the good work.

Thanks Buck. Did a bit more yesterday...stripping the dash out in preparation for removing the cab. Gonna have to make a trip to the wreckers to get a new unmolested bracket for the heater controls and radio mount.
One of the previous owners hacked the dash to install a DIN mount radio so it has to be fixed. I see the ignition switch has a "made in Taiwan" label on it...so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's not original...:rolleyes:.
All the harnesess seem to be in good order.

79_Truck_0012.JPG

79_Truck_041.JPG

79_Truck_048.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
very nice duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Don!.....I'm hoping by the end of this weekend that I'll be ready to lift the cab off. I think I've taken nearly 500 pics so far and lots of videos so I can put everything back just the way it was.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
It's always great to take pics and video. I didn't do that at first and wished I had. I learned quick though after having to go to junkyards and looking how things go together. Are you taking the dash out completely? If so, the bolts that hold the dash in, just make sure they are unbolting easily. If they aren't take your time doing so. I had one bolt that was coming out kinda tough and just kept unbolting and the square nut that is not supposed to pop out did and feel down into the cab. It was kind of a pain to get one back in and tighten the bolt down when I was putting the dash back in. Hopefully you don't have any of that kind of trouble though. BTW, Nice progress.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for that bit of info on those dash bolts/nuts...the plan was to remove it so I will be watching for that!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The dash bolts were no problem, they loosened off nicely. Found the vent intake/cowl drains full of pine needles and leaves...hehe. Everything is now ready for the cab to be lifted off...I've got to go and build a couple of wood supports so the cab isn't sitting on the garage floor.

79_Truck_030.JPG

79_Truck_034.JPG

79_Truck_0351.JPG

79_Truck_039.JPG

79_Truck_077.JPG

79_Truck_078.JPG

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

That is the most bare I HAVE EVER seen one of these cabs!!!! Nice work!!!

That's going to be an amazing truck once it's done.:cooldude:

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
WOW!!! Yeah, what Lee said x 2 !!! I'm soooo jealous!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is the most bare I HAVE EVER seen one of these cabs!!!! Nice work!!!

That's going to be an amazing truck once it's done.:cooldude:

Thanks Lee!...I've got high hopes for it turning out well!...and thanks Chuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts