Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That thing bring's back memories on mine when I had my cab torn all the way down to that. It also was a blue cab and almost looked exactly the same. Nice work and progress. Are you going to do anything to coat the floor? You know, I rhinolined my inside and underneath of the floor and I tell ya what, it turned out great. Just an idea.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That thing bring's back memories on mine when I had my cab torn all the way down to that. It also was a blue cab and almost looked exactly the same. Nice work and progress. Are you going to do anything to coat the floor? You know, I rhinolined my inside and underneath of the floor and I tell ya what, it turned out great. Just an idea.

Thanks Buck. I'm probably going to get the floor repainted the original color and then some some variation of Fatmat, Dynamat or equivalent...probably at least 2 layers....followed by felt and carpet. I've not given a lot of thought to the underside yet...the box liner stuff sounds like a good idea though!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Man I can't wait for the final product pics. It's really cool seeing builds like this. It's alot of work and takes some cash, but in the end it's worth every penny IMO. Here is a pic of my underneath just to give you an idea of the rhinolining.

IMG_0200.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Very cool...thanks for posting that!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ahh crap! i've been sitting here trying to figure out what the hell that was,was thinking thats the weirdest gas tank i've ever seen!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Funny you mention gas tanks Tex....I'm just looking through catalogues to see if I can get a bigger aft axle fuel tank...looks like there are some, but you have to relocate the spare. I'm going to remove the aftermarket auxillary tank that's on it as it looks like hell with the filler sticking out of the box.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Somebody on this forum put a 38 gallon tank between the rails, but I can't recall who it was. It looked good when they were done. Like you said though, the spare has to find a new home.

Looks great Duncan. When your done would you do mine ?

If your running oversized tires would you even want to use a spare thats small enough to hang underneath the tank ?

Duncan, send whatever rhino liner you have left my way ;)

Btw, good work on the truck... I find that stuff a little daunting when it's totally stripped down - like I'll never get it back together the right way again (as in, not wanting a box of 'leftover' parts) lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Somebody on this forum put a 38 gallon tank between the rails, but I can't recall who it was. It looked good when they were done. Like you said though, the spare has to find a new home.

I'll have to have a look for that...thanks!

Looks great Duncan. When your done would you do mine ?

If your running oversized tires would you even want to use a spare thats small enough to hang underneath the tank ?

Sure...send your truck up...you'll get it back..errr...someday! I'm not planning on running real oversized tires, the ones that are on it are 32'' and I don't plan on going any bigger. I haven't even had the spare off since I got the truck. I'm going to have to give this bigger tank thing some thought.

Duncan, send whatever rhino liner you have left my way ;)

Btw, good work on the truck... I find that stuff a little daunting when it's totally stripped down - like I'll never get it back together the right way again (as in, not wanting a box of 'leftover' parts) lol

Thanks Charles, I've taken hundreds of pictures and probably 50 videos, so hopefully I don't wind up with mystery parts at the end!

Duncan... Im still up for adoption, i am pretty handy with a wrench too!
:D
Coming along nice man, cant wait to see the finished product.

You might have to fight it out with Tex for the adoption...:rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anybody ever given any thought to finding a gas door assembly from another truck and welding it to the existing box where the box has the forward fuel line?...I can't think of why this wouldn't work...any thoughts?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's what I'm thinking and the tank is already in place. I'm also wondering is manifolding two fuel lines into one, then using an electric pump would work...I really don't care about having a selector switch for the two tanks. I can just base the reading of the rear tank which I'm thinking will work...gotta do some investigating about whether this will work or not.

If one tank had a tendency to have more gas drawn from it, it would suck air before using the gas in the other tank. Probably would be better if you used two pumps with switches.

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
Super nice job on the truck thus far!!

were you referring to this fuel door added and the tool box...was a single tank bed, added the p/s tool box to the d/s also and while there added the fwd fuel tank door
296bqxs.jpg

how about aux tanks like this?? only thing is that its sends your idea of the tool box down river

2qkrvux.jpg

wouldn't you use the dual tank valve like ford sets up from the factory??...and use the factory switch ???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If one tank had a tendency to have more gas drawn from it, it would suck air before using the gas in the other tank. Probably would be better if you used two pumps with switches.

You are probably right about that.

Super nice job on the truck thus far!!

were you referring to this fuel door added and the tool box...was a single tank bed, added the p/s tool box to the d/s also and while there added the fwd fuel tank door
296bqxs.jpg

how about aux tanks like this?? only thing is that its sends your idea of the tool box down river

2qkrvux.jpg

wouldn't you use the dual tank valve like ford sets up from the factory??...and use the factory switch ???

Thanks for posting that...I'm not putting a tool box in...and good point about the factory switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts