Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duncan, if you don't already have the tool box on the passenger side, you should consider adding it if you can find a good one .

I had mine added and it didn't take my friend long to put it in. Maybe two hours.

The trim was hard to find. If I could find NOS I would replace it.

CList008.jpg

004-2.jpg

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
I really like having the side tool box to carry extra parts, jumpers, etc. in. When I first got Burt I didn't really like the look of it, but I've grown to LOVE it there and someday, when I have him stripped and re-painted I would like to see about putting one on the driver side also.
Dak

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
On the subject of the toolbox in the side, I like it. the current box that's on my '79 doesn't have it but my supercab donor does. So eventually the '79 will have one.

yeah I got that little side box in my SC and I get asked about it alot. She holds 2 gals of radiator water and other misc fluids

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Carpenter came by today and is gonna build me some stands for the cab and box....I'll put castors on them so I can shuffle them around. Found a nice mess of splicing at the tailights...grrrrrr....and then people wonder why they have electrical problems?????:headbang:

79_Truck_0243.JPG

79_Truck_0251.JPG

Woodgrain on door panels is perfect :D

79_Truck_028.JPG

79_Truck_029.JPG

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Found a nice mess of splicing at the tailights...grrrrrr....and then people wonder why they have electrical problems?????:headbang:

You should find an electrician that could clean that up. smilieneenar

I didn't thnk that hack job wasn't too bad till I noticed the wirenut. :spank:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's a friggin abortion!..I've already found and ordered some NOS sockets...grrrrrrr. They will be fixed by using soldering and using and environmental heat shrink over each joint....people are freaking butchers!
Main wiring harness was in good shape though:

79_Truck_0311.JPG

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It's a friggin abortion!..I've already found and ordered some NOS sockets...grrrrrrr. They will be fixed by using soldering and using and environmental heat shrink over each joint....people are freaking butchers!

Tell me about it. After working in an over the road truck shop for a number of years I have seen some interesting ways to wire lights. Did you find any scotch locks yet?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Only one...it was under the dash on the second brake switch for the cruise control....I figure I can get the pin out of the original connector and fix it properly. Those damn things should be banned!!

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Only one...it was under the dash on the second brake switch for the criuse control....I figure I can get the pin out of the original connector and fix it properly. Those damn things should be banned!!

You can usually pull the metal slpice part out pretty easy, and yes they should be banned!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
True...but then you are still left with a gap in the insulation and potential issues down the road....damn! I really despise those things!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
True...but then you are still left with a gap in the insulation and potential issues down the road....damn! I really despise those things!

Yes there is that, heat shrink (if possible) is the best solution that I know of.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Woodgrain on door panels is perfect :D

79_Truck_028.JPG

79_Truck_029.JPG

Yea yea,rub it in.

Try finding Woodgrain Door Panels for a 7th gen.It's like finding a girl in High School that isn't a whore.

Seriously though,they were only offered in 80-81 on XLT Lariats.I've only seen one set in person in my life,and those are the ones that I have on my truck.When I saw them in the junkyard,I grabbed them as quick as I could.

Trucks comin apart great there Duncan.lol.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks!...I've seen that they are damn hard to find! I checked with Bill..(BKW)....woodgrain came on the Ranger XLT which is what this truck is. The Lariat had the map type pockets on the lower (amongst other things) that this one does not have.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Yep.For 7th gens,Lariats had a hard plastic map box that was covered in color keyed carpet,and Ranger XLT had carpet accent trim pieces to cover the bottom of the door.Ranger and Custom had nothing.

I wish the 6th gens could be had with Burlwood OR Rosewood wood tones,cause i've never personally been a fan of Burlwood.I think they 6th gen interior would look good with Rosewood in them too.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ya sure on that one Shaun my 85s got soft map pockets that have an elastic on the back edge. Theyre also color coded with carpet on the outside. My cousin had an 84 XL with the hard ones.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Talked to a restoration shop today, they are going to call me and come down to look at the truck and give me a rough idea of cost. I am going to send the frame into a frame shop to get the measurements checked. I'm not going to bother with any sort of toolbox, but maybe the second gas tank.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Ya sure on that one Shaun my 85s got soft map pockets that have an elastic on the back edge. Theyre also color coded with carpet on the outside. My cousin had an 84 XL with the hard ones.

We're talkin Ranger Lariats,which disappeared in 82.After that,the plastic map pockets were offered on the XL which basically IMO was a mix between the Custom and Ranger trim levels of 80-81.They were probably offered as an option on the XLT as well.The 82 F250 XL I got my interior out of had the hard plastic map boxes,but someone else had already called dibs on them and the door panels.*#@!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts