Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think that is a preferable way to store them.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
When ya'll winterize, do you take the weight of the springs and tires with jack stands ?

I asked the PO about putting it on jack stands and he said he'd rather deal with any repercussions from having it sit then to lose it in a fire. If the building caught on fire, he said the first thing to come out is the truck and I agree! Of course, now I have two to drive out in that case...but maybe at least save one, two possibly if I have time.

My PO let it sit for 8 years and I've let it sit for the last 3 and it doesn't seem to have affected it at all.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I really can't put mine up on jackstands for the winter, so it has to sit on its wheels for the winter, when I put it to bed for its long winter's nap. Will that hurt anything just by simply parking it in a storage facility,and covering it up with a good quality cover, I will a least a half a tank of fuel in both tanks with a good dose of Stabil and ethanol treatment, I had also changed the oil.

My black 250 sat for years in the garage on its tires and didn't flat spot. Jacking them up off the ground is overrated.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The battery on the dent is pooched. 1 month left on a 3 year replacement warranty.

My local battery "choices" are Carquest or Interstate. I don't want to drive 100 miles to get a like-kind battery that, once again, might not make it through the warranty period.

Nearest source for a Lifeline is 250 miles.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I have no technical battery knowledge backing this up...all I know is I've tried using cheapies, I've used the double platinum with meteor particles, I;ve tried the optimas, etc etc...and the best for me has been MotorCraft. My vehicle sit, my vehicles have had bad alternators, my batteries are rarely tied down...and they flat out perform the best out of anything I've had.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My black 250 sat for years in the garage on its tires and didn't flat spot. Jacking them up off the ground is overrated.

The main reason would be for easy rotation of wheels to keep the ring/pinion covered and help prevent rust....I know that after a year with the Shelby sitting, it does create spots I can feel for the first while.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
^^^I have no technical battery knowledge backing this up...all I know is I've tried using cheapies, I've used the double platinum with meteor particles, I;ve tried the optimas, etc etc...and the best for me has been MotorCraft. My vehicle sit, my vehicles have had bad alternators, my batteries are rarely tied down...and they flat out perform the best out of anything I've had.

Thank you, Ben. Didn't think of that!

Just remember that any flooded lead/acid battery does self discharge way more than an AGM....in any case, the 'ol battery tender (or jr) will do wonders.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The main reason would be for easy rotation of wheels to keep the ring/pinion covered and help prevent rust....I know that after a year with the Shelby sitting, it does create spots I can feel for the first while.

That's even in a climate-controlled environment?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The battery on the dent is pooched. 1 month left on a 3 year replacement warranty.

My local battery "choices" are Carquest or Interstate. I don't want to drive 100 miles to get a like-kind battery that, once again, might not make it through the warranty period.

Nearest source for a Lifeline is 250 miles.

Thank you, Ben. Didn't think of that!

I suppose those are too heavy to order somewhere and have it shipped to you?

Just remember that any flooded lead/acid battery does self discharge way more than an AGM....in any case, the 'ol battery tender (or jr) will do wonders.

I was waiting for someone to chime in about the tenders.....even on an cheapie, wouldn't the tenders add years to a battery's life?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I suppose those are too heavy to order somewhere and have it shipped to you?

I was waiting for someone to chime in about the tenders.....even on an cheapie, wouldn't the tenders add years to a battery's life?

Yes, but I am impatient.................:(

Tenders are our friend!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Going to go pick up a battery today at the Ford Dealer. This dealer carries Interstate brand batteries instead of Motorcraft.????????????????

They have one Group-24F battery in stock.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Installed the battery today. Problem solved! Looks I had one dead cell. The battery would charge just fine, but when checking the voltage it stayed at 10.5 volts.

Dropped it off in Decatur, AL Friday night.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Dropped it off in Decatur, AL Friday night.

:( :( :( :(

Drove mine down to the forest tonight for some quiet time. Full moon with about an inch of snow. I was able to drive without headlights. Built a fire and basked in the quietness, other than some coyotes.

Had a couple of beers, also. I've been rejuvenated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles