Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V2..The Dents We Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Never heard of a 78 SLT (Camper Special) Hi Boy.
Because...there was no such thing. The ad is not a typo, the seller is clueless. The truck has an aftermarket lift and a 460 engine (and other sins), none of which are correct.

High Boys: 1967/76 F250 4WD & 1977 F250 4WD assembled before serial number Y20,001 (Y20,001 occured in February 1977 which was the middle of the '77's model year).

High Boys were available only as a Regular Cab: Cab & Chassis, or w/a Styleside or Flareside Bed, or w/a factory installed Flat Bed or Stake Bed.

Available as a Custom, Ranger or Ranger XLT. The right side tool compartment and tie downs were an option on all 1973/79 Styleside pickups with one exception.

The tool compartment was not offered on 140" wheelbase F350's...as these trucks have the spare tire mounted in this location instead.

Available High Boy engines: 1967: 240/300 I-6's & 352 2V / 1968/74: 240/300 I-6's & 360 2V / 1975/76: 300 I-6 & 360 2V / 1977: 300 I-6 & 351M/400 2V's.

There is no such thing as a Camper Special High Boy. No such thing as a Super Cab High Boy, and... No such thing as any 4WD w/a 460 engine and/or M/T until 1983 and then in F350's only.

The first F250 4WD Camper Special was offered in 1977 from serial number Y20,001 ... which is not a High Boy.

Last edited:
Thats why I though it was funny. Like I said before you see guy posting their F250 and sometimes even the F150s as hi-boys. Like you said clueless. But I didn't know that info until I started searching these forums and guys like you who are ford guru's to school us.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
High Boys were available only as a Regular Cab or Edit: as a Crew Cab: Cab & Chassis, or w/a Styleside or Flareside Bed, or w/a factory installed Flat Bed or Stake Bed.
It seems I forgot something. :rotz:

what is the story w/ the black truck?...a 76/77 w/ a 78/79 grille and bumper..how much?

According to the guy we talked to who was selling it for a neighbor it's a 79 that was built for mud racing. $5500 is the asking price. Sitting on 44's and has MANUAL steering. I looked up under the front fender well and you can see the engine since the inside splash guards have been removed. Looked like a big block.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Opinions?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2216667928.html

3n93kb3m75V35P55S0b2fce89eb2a272616e7.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1978 Super Cab: "Needs taillight lenses."

Needs entire taillamps, as nothing is there, and besides, there are no taillight lenses available for these trucks...and there never was.

1974 F100/350 from serial number T00,001 & 1975/79 F100/350: The Styleside taillamp body/lens is a one piece assembly and is the same as 1975/91 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.

The Bronco and Econoline lamps have a foam rubber gasket that just peels off. These were available branny new from Ford until just recently for 24 bucks each.

Dozens are still available from dealers/obsolete parts vendors and Taiwanese/Chinese lamps have been available in NA since 1979.

You can tell the real lamps from the fakes (which are also sold on fleabay and etc)...by lookin' at the lenses.

The real lamps have DOT (Dept of Transportation) and/or SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code numbers marked on them.

The fakes are as naked as a jay bird...and the plastic that makes up the lenses is poor quality and thinner than Twiggy (if y'all recall who she was).

I've seen some of these el cheapo lenses deform due to bulb heat...I kid you not.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The tail light assembly can be had new aftermarket for about $20, the yard is ripping him off... I have several used myself.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
1978 Super Cab: "Needs taillight lenses."

Needs entire taillamps, as nothing is there, and besides, there are no taillight lenses available for these trucks...and there never was.

1974 F100/350 from serial number T00,001 & 1975/79 F100/350: The Styleside taillamp body/lens is a one piece assembly and is the same as 1975/91 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.

The Bronco and Econoline lamps have a foam rubber gasket that just peels off. These were available branny new from Ford until just recently for 24 bucks each.

Dozens are still available from dealers/obsolete parts vendors and Taiwanese/Chinese lamps have been available in NA since 1979.

You can tell the real lamps from the fakes (which are also sold on fleabay and etc)...by lookin' at the lenses.

The real lamps have DOT (Dept of Transportation) and/or SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code numbers marked on them.

The fakes are as naked as a jay bird...and the plastic that makes up the lenses is poor quality and thinner than Twiggy (if y'all recall who she was).

I've seen some of these el cheapo lenses deform due to bulb heat...I kid you not.

Assembly. :D

The tail light assembly can be had new aftermarket for about $20, the yard is ripping him off... I have several used myself.

I figure I can nab them off of an econoline if this dent were to become a part of my stable. :wasntme:

Fellro

Staff member
That would be one set I have... a 79 E150.

Fellro

Staff member
Possibly, I have 3 complete sets.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Because...there was no such thing. The ad is not a typo, the seller is clueless. The truck has an aftermarket lift and a 460 engine (and other sins), none of which are correct.

High Boys: 1967/76 F250 4WD & 1977 F250 4WD assembled before serial number Y20,001 (Y20,001 occured in February 1977 which was the middle of the '77's model year).

High Boys were available only as a Regular Cab: Cab & Chassis, or w/a Styleside or Flareside Bed, or w/a factory installed Flat Bed or Stake Bed.

Available as a Custom, Ranger or Ranger XLT. The right side tool compartment and tie downs were an option on all 1973/79 Styleside pickups with one exception.

The tool compartment was not offered on 140" wheelbase F350's...as these trucks have the spare tire mounted in this location instead.

Available High Boy engines: 1967: 240/300 I-6's & 352 2V / 1968/74: 240/300 I-6's & 360 2V / 1975/76: 300 I-6 & 360 2V / 1977: 300 I-6 & 351M/400 2V's.

There is no such thing as a Camper Special High Boy. No such thing as a Super Cab High Boy, and... No such thing as any 4WD w/a 460 engine and/or M/T until 1983 and then in F350's only.

The first F250 4WD Camper Special was offered in 1977 from serial number Y20,001 ... which is not a High Boy.

How often do you think you have typed this info. You should make a copy/paste file so you can just click and click and there ya go.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
How often do you think you have typed this info. You should make a copy/paste file so you can just click and click and there ya go.
A coupla months back, a newbie showed up on t'other site with an entire list of High Boy info he "claimed he compiled after doing hours of research."

Uh huh...almost everything he compiled was from posts Dennis and I had typed previously...taken verbatum from our posts.

The info not gleened from our posts was crap...with one mistake after the other. In other words, it was either guess work, or crap info he took from fleabay (and etc) ads, and we all know what that means.

I quoted his post and then corrected all his crap info, and I told him flat out (in my usual style!)...to give credit where credit is due...for the info he got from Dennis and I.

The newbie then vanished like a phart in the wind.

I don't copy and paste, I don't post links or scan and post parts catalog pics. Why? Because I'm clueless! Dennis is supposed to be here in June to teach me how to do it all.

In exchange, he gets the royal treatment...free room & board for the two or so weeks he's gonna be here. Plus, we're gonna hit all the shows, junkyards, obsolete stores and dealers lookin' for goodies.

And, since Dennis eats more food per meal than a pack of starving wolves, I may have to take out a loan to pay for it all!

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Ya know Bill, I pass by your city often in my travels between Crestline and Burbank and have friends living in Hacienda Heights. Perhaps sometime we could get together to talk truck over a cup of coffee (my treat!) I greatly admire your knowledge and persistence, as well as your attitude!
Dak

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
My additude could stand improvement, but I've been this way since I was weaned, so I ain't gonna change!

I'm 100' from the Whittier city limits, top a the hill, west of Colima, south of the power poles.

I'll be there in June and early July.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
They only said they started the frame off process...apparently, they were still in the 'thinking about it' stage.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn...that'd pretty nice, but about 4x's more than my budget currently allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts