Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They are a pin that screws in the 4 corners. You slip the gasket on, gives you ability to work the ends into the groves, place the gasket close, and slip the pan up and holds it. Once you start putting bolts in, you remove the wedges and put the bolts in
I can't seem to find them online, they usually come with the 1 piece gasket.
Later today when I'm in the shop I'll grab a picture of a set

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well i grabbed the 4 piece set of gaskets today. Hopefully ill droo the pan this weekend. Hopefully itll be faster than 4 hours... Thats what labor time shows.. any tips?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Also i pulled on the wheels today. My king pin isnt loose like an old mechanic said a while back. I cant get it to shake or anything. But i do have a bad brake caliper on the driver side..its locked up

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Test for king pin. Leave tire on. Jack truck up until tire barely off ground. Have someone watch the king pin. Take a bartender the tire and pry up and down. If king pin moves you need to repair. If not, good. Grease it up.
Caliper is probably locked in the slides. Take it apart. Good time to squeeze in new pads. Clean everything well. Use brake grease on the new slide plates that come with the pads.

As far as the time on the oil pan, first time. May take a little longer, may take a little less. Hope it goes smooth.
I'll keep an ear open on the phone in case you run into troublr

The weather man saying its gonna be a very cold weekend. So the pan is probably gonna be on hold this weekend. If i do the pan im gonna atleast take it off and primer it up and paint it.
So with that being said, im gonna go ahead and do a compression test if some guys here at the shop can lend me theirs over the weekend. I tried to find value numbers on all data and pro demand. Even did the Google search interweb thing and found alot of different numbers. Any specs?
I "might" even try and do my valve clearance before i do a compression test. Getting TDC is gonna be tricky since my crankshaft isnt marked that i can recall. I do think the timing cover is marked if i remember correctly..
.125 intake
.175 exhaust _ are these correct.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No clearance adjustments on the valves. They are hydrolic, self adjusting.

Just post numbers on compression, we will let you know

That's pretty thoughtful actually. Always thought i needed to adjust them. The valve train used to do the clanking noises. But here lately starts up without pumping the gas and i only hear the valve train on the initial start. Quietens down immediately. Not sure if that's good or bad. Im sure it'll get kinda loud again when it gets back on the road. I used to think that truck was loud, till i got my 12 valve cummins truck. Smh. That's a loud truck. Maybe that's why it seems quiet lol

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Clacking valves on initial startup is a oil pressure issue. You need to put a mechanical oil pressure gage on the engine to see what's going on. May be you need a new oil pump, may be needs a more intense procedure. Depends how much oil pressure you have at idle on cold start, and especially on a warmed up engine.
Have you ever seen the oil pressure light come on when it's idling?

Never seen oil light ever come on. Maybe I was younger when i heard it but it sounder like lifter tap. Thats what my papa would always say.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure to use a good 10 w 40 oil and a Motorcraft fl1a filter. I get both at walmart.

Like I said a mechanical oil gauge will tell the story
The guage in the dash from ford is really a glorified light. Better than a light but not much.
I have to do some work on the 94 tomorrow, so I'll get some pictures of that gauge in action for you

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Went out and started the truck just to show the gauge. Didn't warm the truck up so don't mind the temp gauge.
This is a high pressure high volume pump. Normally would be at 45-50
fe62f639fc61c939928a840e5ba319e4.jpg

I put 5w20 in it when i changed the oil. I gotta drop pan next weekend. I pulled out all the plugs just for tonight so i can run a compression test sometime tomorrow.
I did fire the truck up before i did this for like less than 30 seconds to make sure itll still turn over. I didn't even need to pump the pedal. Its 25 here outside of nashville.
I pulled all 6 plugs. All had a very bad fuel smell.. pictures should be in order.. i hope.
d5a277fa670bc5ccc65bcaa9fb0d4306.jpg
69613efd6fede334d4203a7e39042eaa.jpg
8ef42f1c4f4eba170c665e796085fc57.jpg
78d4033847963620686fd1285ce97c72.jpg
bbf5d3ee663cca541e9ae8d6d5fbf8d2.jpg
cd949e4d3ae87935dc09384780b20da5.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Thats old stale gas. You can burn that off carefully with a propane torch. Hold the plug in a open end wrench and swish the torch back and forth over the plug. Use caution it will spit fire.
Don't overheat.
Make sure to regap them to whatever the label says either on your core support or under your hood.
Make sure to add more gas to delute the stale gas if you can't pump it out

Gonna replace the plugs once i get the compression test and stuff done. Not gonna be using those plugs anyhow. Just gonna use them to get the engine warm in the morning.
Do i need to unplug the fuel filter line and fuel pump line while doing compression test. Ive youtubed till my eye lids felt like concrete

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I wouldn't worry about it. All the plugs are out so everything goes out the plug hole. I would unplug the coil wire you may get zapped if you happen to grab a plug wire just right while someone is cranking it

Gotcha. Will do. Just hoping my numbers are good.
Really dont want to have to get another engine for this old truck. Best case scenario for me ia everything is good. Moderate: the valves need to come out and head goes to machine shop. Worst case, well you know...the piston is leaking by the rings. If the compression fails, guess ill go out and buy a leak down tester or something i can use to leak the system.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Leak down test is done with same tester. You put some oil in the cylinder test it as you do for compression. Leave it on top dead center and see how long it takes to leak down.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Thats how I do it. Maybe someone else will offer a different method

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts