Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thoughts on Lincoln Mark VII/VIII's

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
buy that car

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I would...but I'm staring at $1300 right now...won't get the rest until Dec. 23rd.
Talk to him, see if he will hold it, or if you could pay some now, some later.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
good luck! here is a little something to motivate you:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
good luck! here is a little something to motivate you:

Holy hell...that is down right impressive.

How nice is it? I can't get the link to work.

It's reeeeeeeal nice. Has me a little worried with all the work he said it recently had done and fresh paint and how low it is on price...makes me wonder if he's polishing a turd. Called the guy, left him a message, gonna see if I can't get my uncle or one of Bailee's relatives to check it out for me.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
its "slightly custom" and its actually displacing 5.0...

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Holy hell...that is down right impressive.

It's reeeeeeeal nice. Has me a little worried with all the work he said it recently had done and fresh paint and how low it is on price...makes me wonder if he's polishing a turd. Called the guy, left him a message, gonna see if I can't get my uncle or one of Bailee's relatives to check it out for me.

Cool I hope it works out for you.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
But if it's already had the spring work done, then would you give it the green light?

Nope (no offense meant to any other members of the forum). I'd find a T-Bird with a 4.6 in the same general vintage. A nice one should run $1500-$2000. Same basic car without the aforementioned potential suspension headaches. Also goes without saying the T-Bird was a simpler car- less to go wrong overall. I owned three of them- they're bombproof. (Just avoid a 3.8 V6 like the plague unless it's a Super Coupe)

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I owned two cougars and a Mark VIII. the Mark was in a completely different class. for one, its a completely different engine, with about 100 more HP.

If its converted to coils, the suspension is the same as the T-Bird/Cougar, it has a nicer interior, better engine and its faster... Not to mention, he can get the Mark for slightly over 2K...

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
I owned two cougars and a Mark VIII. the Mark was in a completely different class. for one, its a completely different engine, with about 100 more HP.

If its converted to coils, the suspension is the same as the T-Bird/Cougar, it has a nicer interior, better engine and its faster... Not to mention, he can get the Mark for slightly over 2K...

Don't disagree- and I've driven more than my share of V's, VI's, VII's, and VIII's over the years. Here's where I'm coming from:

1. True, it has more HP- but that DOHC motor will cost a flippin' fortune to tear into if the need ever came up.

2. Because of the limited production numbers, many parts are Lincoln specific (no aftermarket)- and expensive. Price items headlights and taillights and get back to me- especially if the car was equipped with HID's.

Bottom line- all the things that make these cars special to enthusiasts also make them a poor choice as a DD for someone on a limited budget, IMO. Same as any other high-end older ride. It isn't that they aren't solid or without appeal, it's the potential expense when systems head south.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Sure, parts are expensive to replace (or impossible)... If you use factory parts.

Most of the Mark VIIIs factory parts shortcomings are made up with better, and cheaper after market parts.

For instance, the factory HIDs are a nightmare to find. 97-98s were a transition/beginning of HIDs. There were a few different types, and the type the Mark VIIIs had did catch on. I have seen good (used, mind you) factory bulbs go for close to $200 bucks a piece, if you can find them. However, there are aftermarket retrofits that allow you to use normal bulbs you can pick up off any bulb rack.

Here ya go Ben. It's not a Mark, but it does have a 5.0!
Why would he pay more for that than a 97 Mark VIII?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nope (no offense meant to any other members of the forum). I'd find a T-Bird with a 4.6 in the same general vintage. A nice one should run $1500-$2000. Same basic car without the aforementioned potential suspension headaches. Also goes without saying the T-Bird was a simpler car- less to go wrong overall. I owned three of them- they're bombproof. (Just avoid a 3.8 V6 like the plague unless it's a Super Coupe)

Thanks for the suggestions...I've had a tbird and family has had a tbird or two...those cars have always outperformed any expectations I had for them.

Yeah that was a big selling point, similar platform, but as evident even today, Lincoln stands alone in Fords luxury classes. And the more I'm reading, most of those high parts and fixes are with stock replacements.

Here ya go Ben. It's not a Mark, but it does have a 5.0!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2031474775.html

Nice car...as I said, I've been around a few tbirds in my time.

You better jump on that thing before I buy it out from under ya Ben (only because you forgot about me in you're whose missing thread :D )

You shut your mouth.

1. True, it has more HP- but that DOHC motor will cost a flippin' fortune to tear into if the need ever came up..

Yeah...dually noted.

2. Because of the limited production numbers, many parts are Lincoln specific (no aftermarket)- and expensive. Price items headlights and taillights and get back to me- especially if the car was equipped with HID's..

Again...something that is still on my mind, I was looking at some horror stories an found some tha said lights ended up costing them $1400. That said, it does seem like most of the fixes have alternative routes.

Bottom line- all the things that make these cars special to enthusiasts also make them a poor choice as a DD for someone on a limited budget, IMO. Same as any other high-end older ride. It isn't that they aren't solid or without appeal, it's the potential expense when systems head south.

Understood.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
On a similiar note- we took a '96 STS in trade a few years ago with the "Service Ride Control" light on. Ran the car into the shop, they pulled the codes and reported it needed new shocks. Fine... how bad can that be? Care to guess what a set of (computer controlled electronically adjustable) Delco-Bilstein Shocks run for that car? $4000 (not a misprint), and they're unique to the STS and the Eldorado Touring Coupe. No aftermarket, in other words. Any other shock would disable the cars Level-Ride, which is integrated with the car's ABS system.'smiliedoh' Total potential bill was more than we brought the car in for, so off to auction it went.

Last edited:
Thoughts on this?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...er-Coupe-35th-Anniverdary-W0QQAdIdZ239478105#

The CVPI's in Calgary are crap and very over priced.

I stopped in airdrie on the way homw andlooked at that 1998 MarkViii but it has issues, I offered him $2500.

My truck worth 1500 and 1000 cash

There is an auction tomorrow

but I may have found another little old lady car

89 Lincoln

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1989-Lincoln-Town-Car-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ239282839

and this car 18 miles from me

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ercury-Grand-Marquis-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ247549626

Ford Truck Articles