Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spot an 1980

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Are you guys contemplating or complaining of your Canadian built vehicles?...
Not at all, my '93 wawas built in Canodada somewhrere...

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Eric, I'd like to hear a story bout your experiment on yopur avatar?

Canada built vehicles have the steel threated specialy for rust proofing because of our winters and road salt. May have other factors/differences as well.

Tyl

tylstruck

I got it figure out. I'd like an '80 flaresider/stepside truck. I don't need the box/bed space all that much cept to haul my scooter. Kinda like those boxes, the fat fenders look like a duallie's fenders. I'll be adding '89 Cadillac Sedan de Ville tailights to it.

I see Ford made the flaresider/stepsider in 2wd or 4x4 configurations. Were they all regular cabs and/ooor extended cabs?

Anyone have a tale or bone to tell bout them flaresider/stepside?

Tyl

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Just a GIF I found floating around the internet....

Here's something like you're looking for (I'm guessing), found this back home filling up the bike...

DSC00034.jpg

I got in trouble for the stepside term on the other site. Ford used the term flareside even back when mine was new. Stepside is a chevy term.

In 80 is when ford switched the bed sides to the more boxy ones. I think (not sure) they are fiberglass.

Little known ford fact: The 79s still used the exact same fenders that are on mine.

If the old truck guys only knew, they didn't have to patch the old rusty dented rear fenders. LOL

tylstruck

That's right, Eric. Like that, cept I'll never keep the truck all white or all black exterior paint colors. My current truck color is black on the lower section. When it rains, you get the dabs everywhere on the black. White must be though too. Dusty clouuds and the rust spots can be seen a mile away.

Brian, I don't think they're fiberglass?

Tyl

LMC does not carry the flareside bed panel. I searched every one of the vendors I used to buy panels from...none of them have them.

I did some research online. They people say the 80-86 were the same fender. The only place to get one is a salvage yard. No one manufactures them. At least that is what I read.

You could use a 73-79 bed, but they are more rounded. The square fenders look better with the squared off cab IMHO.

If you do look for one...look under the fenders to see if they have been patched (rough fiberglass patches under them), before you buy one. Patching is fine...if done right. If not...it will fall apart again.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The 80 up fenders were fiberglass.

I used the newer bed and put older fenders on my 70 .

The F100 r rare . There r several guys running the smaller bolt pattern on F150 because they say more rim choices ?? . And they can use factory parts for rear dics brake swap .

And both my dad and I got new trucks in 89 1 Canada and 1 US . Both started rusting same time so the rust treatment theory is out.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Finding a flareside that isn't busted all up is like a needle in a haystack. Some one had a bed for sale at the truckblog I think in great condition it didn't last long.

You might be able to take a short bed truck and find a later model 96 or higher flareside and swap it over but I don't know how good it would look

tylstruck

I think I'll have to mickey mouse one. I know a guy with an '82 (He claims it is an '82, but has an '80 or '81 hood on it. Has the F O R D l;ettering on it. No grill tho, so it's hard to tell.) He also has a flareside bed, seperate. The flareside and short box should bolt on correctly, be interchangeable?

I'm gonna wait a bit, I'll probably be working for a junkward in London. May find my junkyard dog there. Yes, quite the optimist fellow aren't I?

The '82 is here; http://www.tjstruckfarm.ca/1982 f100.JPG

The box is; http://www.tjstruckfarm.ca/stepsideblue1.jpg

Jeff's site; http://www.tjstruckfarm.ca/ Oh, but none of you clowns beter be bying my probable project truck.

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
The 86 4X4 black flareside bed looks to be good on one side which will swap over to a F100 or F150 short bed truck

tylstruck

Cliff, how can you tell the box is an '86? Aren't they produced the same from '80 - '86?

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
No you can't tell I just went by the year of the truck that he has listed and that can be wrong.

tylstruck

Probably a dumb question, but if the fenders are fiberglass, how do they mount to the steel bed? Surely the bed can't be fiberglass aswell?

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Probably a dumb question, but if the fenders are fiberglass, how do they mount to the steel bed? Surely the bed can't be fiberglass aswell?

Tyl

They bolt on like steel ones,and yes the sides are steel. Most people where I am at buy a flareside for looks and don't haul anything with them. I only know of one here where I live.

tylstruck

Boy, would I like to find one and crawl under it to answer my curious mind.

I went to a junkyard here weeks ago and found this...

2008_0822Image0001.jpg

The box is a long stepside. Chevy obviously. I think the fender was steel, could be wrong. I'd go verify it if not. Note the truck behind with the camper on, It's an '82. It had a nice chromy front bumper with the rub strips and bumper guards. I wonder if I should pull it of? What would Clifford do?

2008_0822Image0002.jpg

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
If that is a F250 Camperspecial look underneath it at the rear axle it might have a rear sway bar grab it if you can along with all hardware get it all cleaned up and put it under your F150 and it will help the handling.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts