Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shopping for headers! Compatibility?

Headers

Hey guys,

Probably going to spend my tax return on a pair of headers. Looking to get close to that 300HP mark.
I'm looking at some stuff on Summit Racing and I noticed there are different lengths as well as types (comp, street). What is appropriate for a 97 7.5L 460? Also, the cat back Flowmaster I am running has a 3 inch catalytic. What diameter (collector or flange) should match up so it works with my exhaust system?

Many thanks!

Hello and good morning.

Installing standard headers will not give you the performance gains that you are expecting.

Only "Tuned Headers," all tubing from the head to the collector MUST be the same length and they are very expensive. They will also take up a lot of room in the engine compartment so this must also be considered. This rules Shorty Headers out.

Moreover, be sure to get the 1 5/8" Diameter Tubing instead of the 1 1/2" that most are made.

As the other user stated your performance gains will be minimal for a lot of money.

Moreover, using VHT paint which is supposed to withstand 2000 degrees Farenheit as per Pacesetter's recommendation will burn off within minutes of your first starting of the engine. Probably your only option is to purchase Ceramic Coated if cosmetics is what you are also after.

Whatever you decide throw away the stock bolts and washers and go with a Nordlock bolt kit or similar.

Finally, after 2-3 days retorque the headers as they will loosen up immediately and you will hear a slight ticking. After the second torque then they will remain tight.

Most recommend Percy's Exhaust Gaskets available from Summit.

There is a lot of debate on what size, duals or single, cat or no cat so only a Dynomometer is the true test. Check your engine torque and horspower before and after installing the exhaust system.

Good luck.

Boon

Postscript: The general idea is scavenging; get the air in and the exhaust out quickly.

Last edited:

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey there. Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the "tuned" type headers. Good advice as well, I think I am going to wait until my current exhaust is done for. So far It has been about 3 years. I will convert to a true dual and do the headers and everything all at once.

Hey there. Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the "tuned" type headers. Good advice as well, I think I am going to wait until my current exhaust is done for. So far It has been about 3 years. I will convert to a true dual and do the headers and everything all at once.

Hello again and love the picture!

Yes, unfortunately Horsepower and Torque come at a very steep price.

Take some time and shop around and even keep up with the classifieds.

Boon

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Thanks! Do you know about the lifetime of a good quality set? My truck is a daily driver from around April to early November, then garaged.

Thanks! Do you know about the lifetime of a good quality set? My truck is a daily driver from around April to early November, then garaged.

No I do not. However, perhaps if you started it regularly while stored then the freezing weather (expansion and contraction) would not be a factor.

Perhaps the only issue might be if there were an inferior weld it may crack but it sounds like you are going to purchase a good quality set of headers so they should last the life of the vehicle.

I did go to a Ted Nugent concert years ago while living in Southern California and he put on a good show!

Boon

Postscript: The factory manual also states that we should run the Air Conditioner year-round to keep it operating normally. Perhaps the refrigerant becomes "stale?"

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts