Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shopping for headers! Compatibility?

primetime

sawmill slave
I have those headers on my truck. They come with a y-pipe to hook into the factory cat, so no exhaust mods are required. The only problems I had were, they didn`t clear my C-6 crossmember brace, which shouldn`t be an issue with your E4OD, and the bung for the EGR tube was at a different angle. My tube was junk, so I deleted it.

My flanges loosened up several times and burnt up the gaskets. I substituted red silicone, so far they are staying tight. The ball collector bolts liked to come loose also until I double nutted them.

Buy the Remflex gaskets (I discovered these after I siliconed mine), and the Stage 8 header bolts. I would have also bought the Hedman Elites, but they were not in my budget.

These and Banks (about $1200 last I knew) are about your only choice for a fuelie 460.

Oh, and so far I have two salty Michigan winters and 12,000 miles on mine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You kept the single exhaust Justin?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
x2 on the Stage 8 header bolts. You will give yourself nothing but headache if you try to use regular manifold or regular header bolts. They will back out, I guarantee it.

Ryan

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Thanks for the info Justin!
So if I go forward with purchasing a pair, I will have to check up on them every X number of miles or so?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Normally just a retorque or two after the first heat cycle then another one after a few hundred miles unless the instructions say otherwise and it never hurts to check every so often.

primetime

sawmill slave
You kept the single exhaust Justin?

No. I built a custom conbobulation of fawktardery smiliegitrdone out of stuff I had. I used the Hedman y and extension it came with, cut the factory y off the 460 exhaust (junkyard gave me the factory stuff as far as the cat), welded those together, split into dual 2 1/4" pipes, dual Flowmaster one chambers, and 3" tailpipes that exit behind each rear tire. Dummy duals for the most part. But it sounds pretty good. I like it a lot.

This is a pic from my gallery that kind of shows it.

SANY0069.JPG

Mike, you`re welcome. As far as the bolts, fire it up, let it build some heat, shut it off and cool, retorque. Drive it a couple of days, retorque. Drive a week, retorque. Drive a month, you know what to do. Check at oil change intervals. Eventually, they will stay tight. I just drove mine.

Something I forgot to mention last night but remembered today, buy a starter blanket. Mine shat the starter last fall. It was a fresh rebuild when I put the 351 in it in 2011, and I swapped the nose cone when I jammed the 460 down in there in 12. My starter/alternator guy says pmgr`s don`t like big blocks, but I suspect the headers.

My 87 F-150 with a 460 and headers was a starter killing mochine until I wrapped it with a Thermo-Tec blanket, Summit part #THE-14150. I`m glad this starter isn`t the royal biotch to change like that one was.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Rep for the first line....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Never used it on actual headers, but I've painted lots of exhaust manifolds with VHT Brand exhaust paint and it is the only exhaust paint I've ever used that lasts. Did the ones on my '87 suburban and it's 5 years and counting... Looks like the day I did it. Just follow the instructions on the can for curing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

460Trucker

Good to know Ryan! Are stage 8's header/engine specific or is that stuff fairly generic?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm pretty sure they have pretty much every typical manifold bolt thread you'll need. I got mine on Summit Racing, and they have been wonderful. They can't back out more than 1/12th of a turn before they lock & stop.

Ryan

460Trucker

Looking at them now. Sounds like they are definitely worth the money.

460Trucker

Indeed, the front cross member would be in the way as well.

460Trucker

So will the engine! haha :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts