Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shopping for headers! Compatibility?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys,

Probably going to spend my tax return on a pair of headers. Looking to get close to that 300HP mark.
I'm looking at some stuff on Summit Racing and I noticed there are different lengths as well as types (comp, street). What is appropriate for a 97 7.5L 460? Also, the cat back Flowmaster I am running has a 3 inch catalytic. What diameter (collector or flange) should match up so it works with my exhaust system?

Many thanks!

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hey Mike, are you thinking long tube or shorty headers. Even with the shorty's I have, the exhaust had to be changed for the collectors to fit, wasn't an issue since it was all new, mufflers and all. If you go long tube, it will be more money to have it all installed, but with the 460 I think you would like them better since you're not in the higher RPM's with the big block. (shorty's gain are in the upper RPM's) Torque is what you're after :)

460Trucker

460Trucker

Good to know. Gotta make sure I get the best possible fit/application!
What can I realistically expect for gains? I've read anything between 10%-20% HP and Torque.

460Trucker

Sounds like a sweet deal to me. At 20% gain that would mean almost 60 ft/lbs of torque just from the headers. Didn't sound realistic to me. Going to do some more shopping around tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far Roy!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You're going to gain a smoother idle, a change in the note of your exhaust, and a handful of horsepower. If you get to 10 extra horsepower, it should be considered a success.

Having said that, I'm glad you're looking at long tube headers. Shorty headers usually fit right into the stock exhaust flange, but offer virtually non-measurable gains in performance. I have shorty headers but they didn't make a noticeable difference in power.

Be advised, if you buy painted headers, the paint will burn off immediately. Even on my new engine build, I used ceramic based high-temp paint, and it burned off virtually immediately. If you're going to drop the money, I hate to say it, but you want to either get stainless steel (if such a product even exists for the 460) or ceramic coated.

It's not just that the paint peels off - but it rusts. The high heat is a catalyst and the chemical reactions just happen. It's surface rust but it's still brown rust.

Ryan

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You're going to gain a smoother idle, a change in the note of your exhaust, and a handful of horsepower. If you get to 10 extra horsepower, it should be considered a success.

Having said that, I'm glad you're looking at long tube headers. Shorty headers usually fit right into the stock exhaust flange, but offer virtually non-measurable gains in performance. I have shorty headers but they didn't make a noticeable difference in power.

Be advised, if you buy painted headers, the paint will burn off immediately. Even on my new engine build, I used ceramic based high-temp paint, and it burned off virtually immediately. If you're going to drop the money, I hate to say it, but you want to either get stainless steel (if such a product even exists for the 460) or ceramic coated.

It's not just that the paint peels off - but it rusts. The high heat is a catalyst and the chemical reactions just happen. It's surface rust but it's still brown rust.

Ryan

I have to agree with Ryan get the long tube headers. But on a side note those cheap headers won't last long. Spend the extra money for Dougs or Hookers. Ceramic coat like Ryan said is the best.

I looked at headers for my Expedition and no long tubes for it. so stock it stays unless I can find a exhaust shop to put true duals a new high flow cats.

460Trucker

Great info here guys. Thanks!
So long tubes and ceramic coat. With long tubes, will I have to change out my current exhaust setup? Like would I need a different cat or a different system altogether to make the whole setup work?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is it a single or dual exhaust right now?

460Trucker

Y pipe to a single out. 3 inch diameter all the way around.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just my opinion, but after going to the expense of the headers, you would be best off going to a true dual system.
If not, there will be some kind of modification needed to get the old single system to bolt up to the headers.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yes, you would have to have modifications done to make long tube headers work. That's why people like shorties - they bolt on usually. Long tubes are higher performance and they will require some exhaust modification, or a whole new system altogether.

Ryan

460Trucker

Alrighty then. In that case I may wait till my current setup is ready to be replaced. It's only gone through approximately 14K miles.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts