Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Redhead Steering Gear Boxes?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
If you attempt this on your own.. Youll also need these 2 orings

image_zps6nskqciv.jpeg

they go between the lines and the gear box..

image_zpsginr4mhq.jpeg

image_zpsrmgdojks.jpeg

forgot i didnt post a pic of it put back in...

and my little side project since i had everything out..

image_zpsfmfeur3v.jpeg

This was the original design.. I called it Frankenstein.. but didnt work out too well.. in addition to space issues the fittings kept coming loose.. aggravated the hell outta me..

image_zpsdo4iy6je.jpeg

V 2.0... fit much better...

image_zpsndv2pomo.jpeg

image_zpsq9a14zew.jpeg

going to have to pull it back out so i can tape the threads.. but atleast it fits now... Jezebel sacrificed one of her oil filters for lil dually...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ty..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Good Job Shawn......
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, was on the eastern shore.
Now that your experienced, you can come up here and change out the one on my E-450......LOL

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
umm sure... thatll be $450 an hr... and a 1/2" air supply... lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got her all buttoned back up today too.. glad i hadnt put the fender back in when i bled the system out... made a little bit of a mess lol no leaks from the truck.. im just bad with aim...

image_zps1rr9fn0u.jpeg

but got all the old nasty fluid out... smelled really badly burnt.. also came out dark brown much like oil from the engine.. book says it was filled with ATF.. (which is what i refilled it with too)... last time i looked ATF was bright red... as was what i put in the truck...

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Looks really good(the box, not the burned up fluid:))

Did RedHead say what kind of ATF to use? I've heard that the OEM boxes were designed for Type F and that using other types could cause failure but not sure if that would still apply for the RedHead box.

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Looks really good(the box, not the burned up fluid:))

Did RedHead say what kind of ATF to use? I've heard that the OEM boxes were designed for Type F and that using other types could cause failure but not sure if that would still apply for the RedHead box.

they didnt say.. trucks book says mercron V ATF.. i used Royal purple's ATF

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sooooooo.........
You likie?????????

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
finally got to drive it today.. seemed smoother than the old one was... need to fix a leak though in my addition to the system.. not sure if the filters seal didnt seal or if the fittings leaked..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
when i finally took it out for its test drive on thursday i discovered i had a bit of a leak at the filter setup..

image_zpsoskwgbcc.jpeg

little tightening here and there solved that issue..

although when you install shut off valves on a system that at idle outputs 200psi (and gets up to 2000 for the high end..) its a good idea to double check you didnt leave the shutoffs in the closed position before cranking it over..

image_zpsqdisxj7r.jpeg

opps...

image_zpsbgd1vvap.jpeg

image_zpsz0fjoirq.jpeg

because someone on another forum asked why i put in the rock shield to protect the filter... thats why.. itd be my luck that a rock would get thrown through the filter..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsejaobuxd.jpeg

after 5 days of driving the truck around i finally noticed something was off... guess i still have some fine tuning to do...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Ford Truck Articles