Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Newcomer from Germany

Fellro

Staff member
That would be correct.

Hello Fellro,

Have a problem with my alternator. The thick yellow wire coming from the alternator and the Green / Red from the regulator. Where is the Green / Red wire connected? Mine was cut off! (Scharzer circle) why my regulator does not work.

Fellro

Staff member
With the picture you have, it is hard to tell for sure. There is a yellow wire that comes out of the harness and is supposed to go to a purple wire that then connects to the starter solenoid battery lug. The silver box in the lower right corner of your picture is the regulator.

Hello Fellro,

I have made new images. The green / red wire coming from the controller and shall be connected to the ignition cable according to plan. But I have no connection!
Where it is connected? I hope you can help me ....

Fellro

Staff member
I'm not sure where the wire goes to back in the harness, but it isn't the alternator. However, if you would like to upgrade your alternator output, I can go over that. I just did it on the Cummins. That or search "3g conversion". I put a 130 amp alternator on the Cummins. You need the 8.5" bolt spread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbg5H4fju7g

Ja der Gelbe kommt von der Lichtmaschine und geht zu zur Zündung. Der Grün/Rote Kabel kommt vom Regler (Anschluß S) und geht auch zur Zündung. Leider ist da bei mir kein Anschluß. Das Grün/Rote Kabel steuert den Erregerstrom
für die Lichtmaschine damit diese Strom erzeugt.

Nein möchte die Lichtmaschinen umbauen. Ich habe mir jetzt eine neue 1G Lichtmaschine gekauft.

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, the Yellow comes from the alternator and goes to the ignition. The Green / Red wire coming from the controller (terminal S) and also goes to the ignition. Unfortunately, there is no connection with me. The Green / Red wire controls the excitation current
This thus generates current for the alternator.

No would like to rebuild the alternator. I have now bought a new 1G alternator.

I know the feeling, my alternator on the 6.9 is fairly new as well. Ok, give me some time to check it out. Feel free to remind me if I don't get back to this.
Meanwhile, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjdaTypqj6o

Last edited:
No problem. Maybe you yes the connection of the cable.
I first a new cable from the fuse panel down and connected to dfas green / red wire. Now the alternator is working again.:)

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Can haz swap to GM 1 wire?

Fellro

Staff member
Thought I had answered this... You can do the one-wire, or the 3G isn't but really two wires past the plug. One for ignition, one to the battery. The one wire just uses a regulator that senses the rpm build up, then self activates. It would depend on your power needs, as the one wire will be 85 amp or so, while the 3G can do 130.

Fellro

Staff member
The lower switch is for manually shifting the Gear Vendors overdrive unit.

Fellro

Staff member
It doesn't change the rpm's that much. Maybe 500... be no different than doing it for passing.

Ok. Is theSwitch for Gear Vendors overdrive unit.

How does the cruise control? Only the originals steering wheel?

I have this steering wheel.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm thinking the cruise would no longer be available, since it was mounted in the original steering wheel.

The Grant wheels are nice, but you sacrifice the cruise control function.

With some work, it might be possible to set something up?????? Sorry, I'm not a wiring person. :(

Fellro

Staff member
There are ways, just have to figure it out. With the aftermarket wheel, the only option is some kind of switch either attached to the turn signal, or maybe dash.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts