Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new Bump

Fellro

Staff member
Which end of the cylinder is it hooked to? If only on the one end, it is one way, in that pressure is only applied at one end. In order to power down, you have to apply pressure to the opposite end of the cylinder. You would actually have to add a control valve, not just spin the motor the other way.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Big hose goes in the top, small hose with valve in the bottom.

Fellro

Staff member
top/bottom is relative... which end is basically fixed? The end that for the most part that doesn't move is where the pressure should be applied. The other may be just to keep from building a vacuum as it moves. If they are both high pressure lines that go to a valve, then there is hope to change it, but the fluid has to also change direction, not the pump.

Fellro

Staff member
Typical operation is the more capacity lift is done from the fixed end. There is more surface area to apply pressure to. If it is applied to the moving end, the cylinder would be pulling inward, not extending outward. If the line on the pressure end is small, you might be able to just put a larger diameter hose on to let the fluid flow out faster to drop a bit faster, but you will still have restrictions that will limit how fast the fluid can come out.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well, between the wind and rain today, I improved the appearance...

DSC_0152_zpstkmrmian.jpg

Cut the liftgate loose, still can't figure out why it won't drop though. Gotta get it down so I can take it off...

Fellro

Staff member
It might have to be raised to to flip down, then go down.

Fellro

Staff member
Unless there is a mechanism holding it up there, they commonly had to raise just a little to drop down. I can't tell you as I can't see what is happening (or not happening). There is obviously something that holds it vertical, and it is not the hydraulics, as it can't be for safety/liability reasons.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I guess I base things on what I pay up here....I would expect to pay way more than that here.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Cut the liftgate loose today, damn thing made the truck squat nearly 2" when I set it on the bed. Gotta find a buyer for it, or at least the pump, motor, and ram...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those things aren't light

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That would be a bonus!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Got my muffler(s) prepped today. Bought a 27" Thrush glasspack, split it into two 13.5 inch mufflers so I can have a 3.5" outlet. Gonna build me a couple 3.5" to 5" adaptors for the remainder of my exhaust... :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts