Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hydrogen

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Food grade methanol is what ends up in food stuffs. Wrigleys chewing gum was the worlds largest user of food grade methanol as a sweetner. Methanol's extremely high cost of manufacturing (due to the increase in price of natural gas feed stock) is why its domestic production is waining. It is accelerating in other countries where natural gas is far cheaper than here. Trinidad is one of the worlds largets methanol producers on the planet. Methanex (a Canadian Company) is the operator of the plant. It has become far cheaper and more economical to ship Methanol than it is to import cheap natural gas via LNG and terminals, due to the lack of support by the U.S. (the not in my back yard syndrome) While Henry Hub prices are lingering around the $7.00 per mcf (1000 cubic feet) in Trinidad, its probably around $1.00-$1.50 per mcf. Eathanol would not be cost effective due to the ammount of processes it takes to make ethanol, then convert it or "reform" it into Hydrogen. This is the vast complication of the fuel cell. The feed stock or source is its only current limitations. Well that and the logistics of the fueling stations. Which from reading some things here that the logistics of that is not as much of an issue.

When I lived in New Zealand, a freind of my Dad's ran the Motonui methanol plant. The government there did a joint venture with Mobil oil to make synthetic gasoline. Take natural gas, convert it to mentanol, then pipe it downstream to another plant that turns it into gasoline. This was back in the late 80's when I lived there. The problem was the plant wasn't economical to run because the financing on the facilities demanded that the price of oil be up around 60 dollars a barrel for crude for the whole thing to make money. They shut it down in 2004. Now that crude is at 60 bucks a barrel, I'm wondering if they're thinking about cranking it back up again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_gasoline

Gunner

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, Lester, but I heard about this a while back.

http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml

Starting in paragraph 9 is where I might bring up an alternative to someone who is worried about emissions and fuel consumption. The credibility of the study is up in the air, but it is a different side to the problem we'll have in the future. Makes a guy wonder though.

Ryan

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
No problem Krylon, (you have your nickname, I have mine) as this just backs what I have been stating all along. Back off the EPA crap and just optimize what we already have and you get instant results. IE a 2008 PSD that gets 90's emissions but gets 22mpg is putting less emissions in the air, and using less fuel without adding to technology or energy replacement. (obviously the battery technology along with the generator portion which is the added $6000 price tag) Until a standalone fuel that does not depend on any hydrocarbon replacement or "subsidising" comes along, we are just spinning our wheels.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I know what you mean, I sold someone an SCT tonight, I "rotated my tires" for him and he was hooked.

blacksnapon

Staff member
They brought in the F450 econoline busses today. The entire rear of them is tanks. The two techs will start school monday.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
They brought in the F450 econoline busses today. The entire rear of them is tanks. The two techs will start school monday.

Can we say Hindenburg'hah'

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
That pic looks terribly familiar from another site, Beech, care to comment? :rofl:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
If I'da meant highway to hell, I'da said HIGHWAY to HELL...

Fellro

Staff member
You do realize that it isn't the hydrogen that is burning, but that it is the materials they used for the skin that is?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
You do realize that it isn't the hydrogen that is burning, but that it is the materials they used for the skin that is?

Actually it was both, the skin burned but the Hydrogen was a major accelerant.

I'm sure that was a major comfort at the time... "Run into the fire!!! Just don't touch the skin!!!" :icon_mecker:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I'm sure that was a major comfort at the time... "Run into the fire!!! Just don't touch the skin!!!" :icon_mecker:

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: 'hah'

I'm thinking Vince may want to move his service stall a little farther away. I know his tool box is black but i don't think he was going for the charred look.:eek:

Right... he may make the switch from "a little dark" to "extra crispy" :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles