Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help/Thoughts on company vehicle for wifey please.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Encapsulator:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
amsoil_metal_protector_mp.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The Expy actually looks good with the running boards, but wifey is short like me and needs them to hop in and out of. So, we'll change them next year to bars.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN

What's the difference between the 5w20 and 0w30 and would it be ok to use either in the Expi or new 150? Website is saying 5w20, but last time I spoke to them a year or so ago, the 0w30 was the choice for later model cars....is that because I'm in the north east? Thanks Chris.

Both of the vehicles factory spec is 5w-20.

And that's what I would go with. You can really go to 0w-20 for both of them.. Makes much easier cold starts.. And still great protection at all temperatures.. If the dreaded cam phaser tick begins I would suggest moving to the 0w-30.

The 0w-30 is the better choice for and 5w-30, 10w-30 spec vehicle for up north.. I'm running 0w-30 in my Flareside..

So personal suggestion is 0w-20.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Oh the mechanic and I surmised that the flaw in the expedition rockers were the running boards....it actually keeps the salt and calcium packed snow and slush from falling off.

This is why the rest of the vehicle was super solid underneath and the only issue was isolated. We're going to use the existing runners through this winter and repl5the with bars next spring.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

You may regret that- outside of the obvious, the biggest function of those running boards is to keep the dirt, gravel, and all the other crud you folks have back there off of the truck and the rocker panels. Bars don't do any of that- although they do admittedly look kewler.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I've heard it both ways on running boards... If it has them I'd keep them though. Just be sure and wash it through the winter to keep the salt at bay... That makes the biggest difference.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have bars on my 350 and they do manage to keep some of the crud off.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Both of the vehicles factory spec is 5w-20.

And that's what I would go with. You can really go to 0w-20 for both of them.. Makes much easier cold starts.. And still great protection at all temperatures.. If the dreaded cam phaser tick begins I would suggest moving to the 0w-30.

The 0w-30 is the better choice for and 5w-30, 10w-30 spec vehicle for up north.. I'm running 0w-30 in my Flareside..

So personal suggestion is 0w-20.

Excellent Chris, thanks.

Fellro

Staff member
Agreed, the first number only matters when the engine is cold, the second is what you really have to pay attention to. I can't validate but have often heard that the mod motors will not survive well with anything higher than a 20 on the second number due to the design of the oiling system.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
You may regret that- outside of the obvious, the biggest function of those running boards is to keep the dirt, gravel, and all the other crud you folks have back there off of the truck and the rocker panels. Bars don't do any of that- although they do admittedly look kewler.

This is interesting and really, really appreciate the feedback.....I thought it was obvious because it was the only part of the vehicle with any significant rust.....if it's supposed to help the rockers, then maybe the po just didn't clean them in the winter because me (captain obvious) assumed it was making it worse.

I've heard it both ways on running boards... If it has them I'd keep them though. Just be sure and wash it through the winter to keep the salt at bay... That makes the biggest difference.

Thanks....will have to rethink this for sure....I like them and think they are extremely functional for getting in and out of the vehicle and look good.

I have bars on my 350 and they do manage to keep some of the crud off.

This was my observation as well....with the snow and salt falling off, how can it stick to the rockers very long?

As long as ya wash the truck thoroughly atleast 1 a week it should be ok..

Yup, it's what I'll plan on doing....bi-weekly at the latest with the underbody wash. But after putting on the Heavy Duty Metal Protector, it'll make a huge difference regardless.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Agreed, the first number only matters when the engine is cold, the second is what you really have to pay attention to. I can't validate but have often heard that the mod motors will not survive well with anything higher than a 20 on the second number due to the design of the oiling system.

What's the significance of the second number?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
What's the significance of the second number?

Viscosity at operating temperature..

The modulars (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) all are OHC... The camshaft is in the head doesn't have cam bearings.. The oil is the bearing.. So when people run to heavy of an oil, the oil can't get between the cam and the aluminum head and it'll eventually burn up the cam.

But like I said a true synthetic will have a better flow rate then a "off the shelf synthetic".. Allows you to run a slightly higher viscosity (30 is highest I would go) to battle heat..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts