Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Grill insert opinions

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Well, I went with the silver and charcoal inserts. Here are a couple pics.

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Very nice Buck...glad you went that route. When folks go with the black inserts, it just looks cheap and tacky to me. Can't wait for the weather to get better/warmer for you so I can get more updates on your truck. You have anything planned to get done during the winter months, or just let it sit until the thaw?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks Ben. I plan on getting the front clip completely done before too long (minus the chrome). I have just a few small things to get done before I set the hood on. But other than that, I'll wait until the weather is better to get it out. My goal is to have it road worthy by mid summer.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well daggon man...to me it doesn't look like you have too much more to do to make it road worthy. On another note, I got a few questions for you, that I just noticed with your pics. What made you decide to paint the crossmember silver instead of the typical black? Why are you going with the clear turn signal lenses instead of the amber? are you going clear in the rear too? Are you gonna have any hood/engine clearance problems? Finally, do you remember where you picked up your grille shell? Your shell looks really good, better than the ones I got new from DC or JBG or the one that I tried to refurbish.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is a beautiful looking truck.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The grill shell came from DC. I'm not sure about the hood clearance. I may have to get a thinner air filter and I need to cut down the air cleaner bolt. I'm hoping it will clear with what I have. I decided on silver for the crossmember and chassis just to be different since black is the usual color. Something to just set it off a bit. The clear turn signals I had just lying around in my parts and wanted to see how they fit. I don't have the amber ones, which I will probably get.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey, thanks guys. I still worry about the "hidden bugs" when it's time to start driving down the road, but I suppose that's expected. Sure has come along way so far from this. (brothers shop, I wish I had it).

DSC00317-1.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well Buck...those bugs will definitely be there...and I wish I could say that was half the fun...but after you spend the time and cash in doing a restore, it either scares the crap out of you or really pisses you off.

Starting from the frame up almost makes you feel like a parent doesn't it. The frame is like a new born, then it progresses...and now where you're at, it's kinda like a 15-16 year old where it's getting time to fully spread it's wings. Then when you finish, it'll be like an 18-21 fully rebellious kid with the bugs that need to be worked out or tweeked. Then when it's finally done, it's like a college grad that you are soooooooo proud of and can do anything with. Maybe only I feel that way because my rigs are almost as close as family...but I thought it was a pretty good parallel...haha.

AKA: Home Schooling :)

I love your truck. It looks like your taking the time to do the build properly!

As for the grill inserts...I personally like the black inserts vs. the silver and charcoal, but with the black Rad. support and the dark blue paint, either would look great. the It's all up to you in the end though.

Did I mention I love your truck?

smilieFordlogo

Dude, good choice on the grille, looks awesome on the truck. Can't wait to see finished photos of the truck. What are you going to do for wheels? Are you just going to repaint the wagon wheels or do you have something else in the works?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks alot. For wheels, I'm thinking about going with some Mickey Thompson classic IIs 16x10, but not sure yet. But, you know, I actually like the look of the spokes it has on it now.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Buck I always loved the look of the MT classic I or II's. However, if you're looking for the strongest rim on the market, may I suggest running anything from Alcoa. That's what I run, and have the same bullet hole pattern as the MT's. They're forged aluminum, and is the brand big rigs, emergency rigs and military rigs prefer to use...that right there is good enough for me. They're a little pricey at right around $300 a piece, but hell, that's chump change after all you've spent on the restore...haha. Here's the link to their truck tires:

http://beta.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/fsw/default.asp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
That looks great Buck.... hey does anyone know what the stull grille looks like for the 75-77 ? there was no picture of it on that site, I am curious what it looks like

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That looks great Buck.... hey does anyone know what the stull grille looks like for the 75-77 ? there was no picture of it on that site, I am curious what it looks like

Rick...WTH is a stull grille? I thought I knew every grille, but what the crap does 'stull' mean?

I know that I am a little late but I like the painted grill the same color as the truck heres a pic of my 79

Attachments

• IMG_041922.JPG
Thanks alot. For wheels, I'm thinking about going with some Mickey Thompson classic IIs 16x10, but not sure yet. But, you know, I actually like the look of the spokes it has on it now.

The Classic IIs are a great looking wheel, I'd love to put a set on the '77, but they'd cost more than I have in the entire truck. There is a black '79 supercab that runs in the local pulling circuit here in Pa, and he is running 18" Classic IIs with 35's on them, and man, that truck just looks sweeeeet! I drool over it at every pull. With a Trick-Flow headed 460, he is usually one of the top 3 trucks in each pull.

Here is a pick of him just prior to unleashing the beast:

IMG_0485.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts