Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Tell you what, had that been me, I'd have taken pics of every screw turn and every bolt tightened...heck of a job to take on so yeah pics every 5 min lol

I did get a bunch of pics from start to finish (well not quite finished yet) but many pics. I'll post a link to my photobucket in my build thread.

Been a little busy lately, Knew the ball joints were bad and figured on bearings, axle shaft joints, pads rotors etc. So now got it all apart and wanting on parts from JBG. Gives me time to clean a paint.

12-15-09_002.jpg

12-15-09_003.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm plastering this everywhere...anyone have a write up/tips/tricks/etc for doing Ball joints on 79 Bronco? My expertise in this area is...kinda halfway watched my dad do an upper ball joint once (and that was the only time he ever did it either). But I really don't feel like spending $600 in labor alone, so please, coach me up.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ya need a ball joint press and a good impact gun for starters. Just pull the front end down like your gonna re pack the bearins then pull the spindles off and punch the cotter pins out of the castle nuts on the ball joints and same with the tie rod and drag link take nuts off and then youll have to probly beat on the old ball joints to get the knuckle off. After ya get it off then use the ball joint press to get em out of the knuckle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Dan...

same with the tie rod and drag link take nuts off and then youll have to probly beat on the old ball joints to get the knuckle off.

Uhhh and when he says beat on the old ball joints...he means BEAT ON EM ughh good luck they're a pain sometimes. Had some that actually stretched the damn tool apart

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Uhhh and when he says beat on the old ball joints...he means BEAT ON EM ughh good luck they're a pain sometimes. Had some that actually stretched the damn tool apart

I'm reading that happens to alot of the rent a tool tools from the chain stores.

Oh yeah a pickle fork comes in handy as well.

HAHA...you said pickle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anyone here know what the difference is between a Holley carb Renew Kit and a Holley Remanufactured carb Renew Kit...besides about $40-50 and extra parts to carbs I don't have?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey guys...quick question. Plug wires are plug wires are plug wires, right? Say I'm getting new plugs for the 400 in my 79 Bronco, but the listing says the wires are for a 76 Country Squire with a 400, that shouldn't make a difference right? A 400 is a 400 is a 400 so plug wires should all be the same right?

Hey guys...quick question. Plug wires are plug wires are plug wires, right? Say I'm getting new plugs for the 400 in my 79 Bronco, but the listing says the wires are for a 76 Country Squire with a 400, that shouldn't make a difference right? A 400 is a 400 is a 400 so plug wires should all be the same right?

I say yes. The only difference is in the diameters of different wires...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I say yes. The only difference is in the diameters of different wires...

Alright thanks, that's what I thought. But lookin at plug wires online, you could get 'X' set for this 400 and 'Y' set for that 400. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't grossly misinformed. Anyway, they're 7mm wires, the 8mm's are too rich for my blood.

I've never used 7mm...always went 8 or 9. I suppose the diameters help when using looms, but what about shielding? Think the thicker wires have more than the thinner?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Get some Taylor wires.

Goin with Pertronix...I love Pertronix stuff, so I stick with it.

I think he mentioned something about cost... lol Taylors are not exactly inexpensive

The 7 mm Taylor's aren't bad, only about $8 more than the Pertronix...but it's like each mm you add, you can add another $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles