Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What's the price difference between MSD/Taylor?

$3...but MSD are assembled and the Taylor's are not. They appear to have the same ratings.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...just posting to make sure that purging a Power Assist steering system is the same as any other power steering system. The power cylinder doesn't have any fluid in it, neither does the pump. So just put that bad boy up on jack stands, pop off the tie rods and go to work for a couple hours spinning the wheel. Or is there bleeder or something I need to know pertaining to the power cylinder?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Are there return lines from the power assist cylinders?
If so take those off the pump and let the pump push fluid through everything, once you get a steady flow out the lines kill the truck reconnect lines and your good to go....
? just a guess on my part though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
couple of hours?
My power steering says fill then have somebody turn back and forth a few times re-filling when air bubbles come out...

That's what it should be...but my experience with these trucks is...you better clear an afternoon to completely purge a system

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Quick question...with the summer tune time here...during warmer weather does the carb need more fuel or more air? I can never remember.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Ben, I *believe* the carb needs more fuel, because it gets hotter and vaporizes quicker?... Just using physics here, but of course I'm not the expert and wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely wrong!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's alright Dak...I won't hold it against you if you're wrong...cuz I dunno either. What usually ends up happening is I go the wrong way and then spend the next week fiddling with it each time I get out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks like a helluva read Duncan, very interesting so far. I'll get more on it later.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's a long read, but great info!

dakonthemountain

I wasn't aware that Gasoline (for motors) can be stored up to 6 months without adding anything. I always get worried with my snow thrower about that so I always run it dry or put Stabil in the tank at the end of the season... Same with my truck when I've stored it longer than a few months.

It was an interesting read. Yes, I read it all; but didn't understand a lot of it also when it comes to chemistry... :)
Dak

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I wasn't aware that Gasoline (for motors) can be stored up to 6 months without adding anything. I always get worried with my snow thrower about that so I always run it dry or put Stabil in the tank at the end of the season... Same with my truck when I've stored it longer than a few months.

It was an interesting read. Yes, I read it all; but didn't understand a lot of it also when it comes to chemistry... :)
Dak

Once ideas get perpetuated on the web...it's hard to wade through the BS.
I've fueled our bikes in Nov and left them until April with no ill effects.
The issues arise with a half full or less tank and temperature changes causing condensation.
It's kinda like the idea of when your tank runs nearly empty, you are going to pick up sludge etc...how?....did the intake tube mysteriously change height?
The last time I checked, it remains at one level...and sludge and crap is always gonna sit at a low level.
But what do I know....I'm just old and crabby..:D

dakonthemountain

Ya know a lot! I have always, at least, left tanks ONLY full when left for periods of time. I used to have a diesel MBZ and learned the hard way about condensation in the tank!
Cheers,
Dak

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm thinking about getting one of those wideband air/fuel ratio gauges for mine because it seems ethanol is very touchy to tune and I have heard good things about those gauges on getting the carb tuned just right. Those gauges are not cheap though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting one of those wideband air/fuel ratio gauges for mine because it seems ethanol is very touchy to tune and I have heard good things about those gauges on getting the carb tuned just right. Those gauges are not cheap though.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I've used quite a few of the products they offer, right now I've got at set-up for my quad that I haven't installed yet.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php

Even just using one of these and paying attention to your plugs is a great idea.
I'm debating a full setup for the 434.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
With a machine a you need to fine tune or doesn't hold an adjustment very well, that looks like a very trick pony. I've seen the Autometer ones, but never figured my junk warranted dropping the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts