Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can someone tell me what the stock front axle would be on a 79 250 CC 4x4? I coulda sworn it was a D44...guys on another site say it woulda only been a D60...I think they're wrong.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think you could have either depending on how it was optioned.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Can someone tell me what the stock front axle would be on a 79 250 CC 4x4? I coulda sworn it was a D44...guys on another site say it woulda only been a D60...I think they're wrong.

It could be either, but if it's a 60 I'll save you the truoble of getting rid of it bu taking it off of your hands!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think you could have either depending on how it was optioned.

It could be either, but if it's a 60 I'll save you the truoble of getting rid of it bu taking it off of your hands!

Alright...thanks fellas, I knew it was an option...just not in this particular case. Lee...I don't have one, but the vehicle in question is less than 35 mins from me...and if the guy decides not to get it...I got dibs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just a heads up...JBG is having a closeout sale on trim for our trucks...this trim is either lightly damaged from shipping, returned (used), or good used trim. It's all at some reeeeeeeeeeeeal good prices. I may need to pick up a couple of the tail light bezels.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I may have to check that trim out. I still need taillight trim and the top and bottom narrow trim for my tailgate. Of course, I'm going to eventually replace all of my trim with new or at least really nice used if I can find some. But, for now, I'm just looking to get things complete and go from there.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For those of you that have the 76/77 Power assist steering and need a new bendix control valve...I found a place in Oregon that sells them...and is the cheapest replacement option I've found. I've thought about getting mine rebuilt, and the cheapest I've found to do that is $400 plus a core charge, I've found a couple places that sell new ones...but that's in excess of $500+ plus a core charge. Well this place has reman units for $249 plus a $250 core charge:

http://www.prosteering.com/cv_ford_truck.htm

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would upgrade it before I paid that much for one.

Yeah...but if you don't wanna do any frame modifications and maintain the 'stock' appearance, like me, it's well worth it. If you upgrade to the 78/79 box, you've got frame work to do and pay more money.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah I think ill stick with the grunt and sweat steering.

Oh yeah...forgot you had the Armstrong unit...yeah, if I was going from no power, and I wanted power...then yes I definitely go with a 78/9 box.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Dad was right turnin 12.5 inch wide tires aint all that hard to do. Theres an article on fordification that shows em doin the swap and they didnt have to do a whole lot.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Not really dentside chat, but related. Does anyone know much about the late 70s 4x4 Econoline Vans? I'm just wondering.......what kind of drivetrains came under them? Where they pretty much truck chassis with a Van body? I'd really love to have an old 4x4 van someday. I don't know why I was thinking about this, but my wife and I were talking about getting a van (new one) and I asked if she'd drive it and she said no......."you would". Well, then I started to think, well If I'm going to be the one driving a van, I want an old 79 Ford 4x4 Van. That'd be awesome.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know anything about them Buck...but I'm pretty sure Scott had a rotten one that he was trying to get rid of a while back. So I'm sure he may know a little something about them. And if memory serves correctly, they were called the Pathfinder...so that may help in google searches.

This might help:

http://www.pathfinder-vans.com/

Last edited:
Mine is a Pathfinder conversion. They took an E-250/350 van and put a Dana straight axle under it. It is very simliar in setup to a 1/2 ton 4wd front except it uses 2 trac bars, center of van to each front side of axle.

There was another company, Quadravan maybe but that doesn't strike a bell that also did the conversions. Quigley, that is who it was.

I got a rusty one I'll sell ya cheap Buck. 64,000 original miles with a 460, C6 combination. It no longer has those wheels (stolen by some ungrateful SOB!) and it includes some more rust since this picture.

1dsc00378.jpg

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Now that's a cool van. I think it would be an awesome project. But, I think the other half wouldn't allow me to do that until I get a mid 60s Mustang coupe project for her (but built for me). Otherwise, I'm going to keep a van project on the backburner though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts