Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright thanks. My exhaust is well not bad as in leaking or falling off but could be better so I'm thinking that I would like headers on when the exhaust is done. But in reality there are alot more issues that need attention. at this point I don't know where to start. Just trying to do one thing at a time. Its going to be quite awhile before she sees the street again.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well...the rear main on the Bronco started leaking again. It was leaking when I first bought it 10 months ago...and put some of that BAR's stop leak in it, never a problem again til a couple days ago. Put another bottle of the stuff in today, the leak is gone again. I'm just worried how long this band aid will last, because all the stuff does is cause the seal to swell. So if it's leaking again, that means it's worse now than it was originally. Hopefully it'll be no big deal and I'll get that engine rebuilt, so no more worries with the RMS.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I wish Ben was here..
But what do you Gen 6 owners think about making a thread Solely dedicated to Gen 6 Aftermarket parts?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So.....I figure I'll get some discussion in this place going again.

-It is a fact that the 351M and 400 are essentially the same engine. Then wouldn't it be safe to assume that a flexplate from a 351M and a 400 would be the same??? The reason I ask is, I was going through my JBG catalog, and stumbled across some flexplates...and the 351M and 400 flexplates were priced $10 differently. Am I missing something, or is JBG just trying to 'get' unsuspecting buyers?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Next topic...I figure this season will be the last season I show Red for a few years, and I'll probably only enter her in stock/original classes this year. As any of you who have restores, that you still like to drive, 30,000+/- miles over the last 7 years can take a toll. I've noticed a couple more light scratches, a small ding here or there, and work on chipped paint that I did still bugs me. Not only that, but the corners I cut the first time are really starting to become noticeable...ie no frame work, not coating the underside, not painting the axles, etc. Then there are also some problems from neglect when she would sit upwards of 3 months at a time...ie gaskets/seals start leaking, P/S box is starting to leak pretty bad, not taking the time to detail the engine bay as often as I should, etc. Well all those things add up, so I figure over the next 2-3 years, I'll save up the funds and really tear into again and do a grade A job on her at that time...shoot maybe I'll learn how to paint over the next few years...that's the only thing I can't do, yet the most expensive. In the mean time, I think I'll unbridle her and let her stretch her legs and be a truck again. That doesn't mean I'll go nuts...I'll still keep my Hagerty insurance on her...but maybe she'll carry a few heavy loads...or maybe I'll let her tear into a mudhole or two and actually let her use those Boggers. Anyway, I was just getting sentimental and realized an era was coming to an end. I've learned alot in the last 7 years, and also learned what I'd like to do differently, how to do things better, etc...so no fear guys, in a few years she'll be back better than ever.

Hey buddy these trucks were meant to run...they were meant to play and they were meant to work hard. She needs that. Think of the movie Hidalgo with Viggo Mortensen (sp?) remember at the end where he lets him go and run free with the herd of Mustangs in the mountains? It broke his heart but it also made him really happy to know Hidalgo was where he belonged...

Ok I'm a sap :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHAHAHHAHAA...yeah, that movie actually popped into my head when I made the decision. I decided that at this point, it's a fight I can't win, so let her be happy...haha. It's all easy stuff to fix/replace...it all costs money though. I was just hoping I could get her to last until it was time for the next tear down. Oh well.

Nah man have fun with her and then you'll feel really good when you tear her down and build her up again....

My girl ain't a creampuff but I have as much pride in her as I would if she was mint cause I know she's happy when I get her in the mud and run her into trees lol

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sooooooooo...the ol' man went out and started cleaning out his parts hoard, and came across a r12 to 134a conversion kit...looks like the Bronco will be getting A/C this weekend...SWEEEEEEEEET. Any tips or tricks??? Should just be replacing fittings and seals right?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yes Ben basically seals and fittings. Also a good idea to pull a vacuum on the system if you can get ahold of the equipment. But I've heard of people just putting fittings and seals and it working fine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes Ben basically seals and fittings. Also a good idea to pull a vacuum on the system if you can get ahold of the equipment. But I've heard of people just putting fittings and seals and it working fine.

Yeah...I thought about the vacuum...but Dad convinced me that he's done several of these conversions back in the 80's and he never vac'd one once...and all was good. Not to mention, I've seen several other sources that said vac'ing wasn't essential. But hey, I don't have A/C now...so if I don't after Saturday, no big loss...haha.

I know where you can get a vacuum pump !

HAHA...I saw that...stupid scammers.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It should work fine without vacuum. I would suggest using some of the cans of r134 that have the oil mixed in already if your kit doesn't come with r134. I've used them before and have had good success with that. Some also have a dye as well if you want to check for leaks.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I finally got the exhaust done on my truck. 2" duals with 26" cherrybombs. I love the sound. It is not obnoxious anymore. I did try straight pipes for 2 days. I thought my truck would get impounded LOL

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I finally got the exhaust done on my truck. 2" duals with 26" cherrybombs. I love the sound. It is not obnoxious anymore. I did try straight pipes for 2 days. I thought my truck would get impounded LOL

We need a sound clip....

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Clip......or it didn't happen!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I should make a new one of my '79 w/o the horendous exhaust leak that I fixed.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ok will do that this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts