Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Cop was pretty arrogant but let me go when I proved I was on my way to work to fix the fouled plug. I was going to get a Jasper motor to get the 3 year/100k warranty for like $1800 because I'm not looking for any performance stuff, but I'm actually getting on from Autozone because they are giving me a 3 year/ unlimited mile warranty for only $1300. While some of you might be against AZ stuff this is what I can afford right now and since my truck is smoking still with 2 quarts of lucas and 3 quarts of straight 50w I think it's gonna blow soon HAHA. However my rear main seal does not leak anymore because it is so thick. Motor will be here on April 9th.

Don't worry about where you get your engine from. Get what you can afford and keep enjoying your truck.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks supersnake. Hopefully it lasts a long time. At least with a new engine I will get to drive farther without having to check the oil LOL.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Thanks supersnake. Hopefully it lasts a long time. At least with a new engine I will get to drive farther without having to check the oil LOL.

It will I'm sure. break it in with a oil that had moly in it like Rotella or Royal Purple break in oil I'm sure there are others oil with moly in it out there.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
$1300 sounds like a pretty good deal. Better than the engine you have now and it's not going to break the pocketbook all that bad. It should last a long time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Cop was pretty arrogant but let me go when I proved I was on my way to work to fix the fouled plug. I was going to get a Jasper motor to get the 3 year/100k warranty for like $1800 because I'm not looking for any performance stuff, but I'm actually getting on from Autozone because they are giving me a 3 year/ unlimited mile warranty for only $1300. While some of you might be against AZ stuff this is what I can afford right now and since my truck is smoking still with 2 quarts of lucas and 3 quarts of straight 50w I think it's gonna blow soon HAHA. However my rear main seal does not leak anymore because it is so thick. Motor will be here on April 9th.

Glad the cop was cool...don't worry about bashing...while I may not care for Az, I definitely understand doing what you can afford...plus it's definitely better than what you have now.

My 400 at 417,000 km was so worn out it pinged at idle. Very few leaks.

I think the Bronco is getting there now.

Ahhh...to be able to drive as far as you want without having to check the oil. I used to remember what that was like...haha. But seeing as Red doesn't leave storage and the Bro needs Thunder for the time being, the Bronco has to be the DD. I swear, I coulda paid for a sweet whole new engine with what I've paid in oil and lucas over the last 9 months...haha.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Ben have you tried 15/40? I use it in the summer months. It may hang in there better.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben have you tried 15/40? I use it in the summer months. It may hang in there better.

Sure have...I tried rotella once...seemed to smoke more as a matter of fact, seemed to run smoother though. Now I'm using a hd 20w50 diesel oil...can';t remember the name of it...but I get it at O'Reilly's. It comes in a big black 2 gallon jug and has a purple label. It's $35 for 2 gallons, but I figure it's worth it considering it's the only thing that seems to reduce the smoke, yet still runs relatively smooth.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I tried the rotella. Didn't work for me. On the new motor I think I will use synthetic oil. Does Rotella have a synthetic oil?

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I run rotella in my 390 and it dont matter what goes in it the thing will just burn it. I talked to dad and were gonna try to re ring it and put it in the 72 and see if it works.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I tried the rotella. Didn't work for me. On the new motor I think I will use synthetic oil. Does Rotella have a synthetic oil?

Just use it for break in 500 miles then 1000 then if you can afford it change to RP

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have you all seen the other sight ? some one changed everything that has a Ford name so it reads silverado:rofl2:

Figures......

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Just use it for break in 500 miles then 1000 then if you can afford it change to RP

Sounds good. How about Mobil 1? We have the synthetic it at work. I can get royal purple but I think only at speed shop around here and they are pretty overpriced.

The other site has some sort of april fool's thing. They even changed everyone's signatures. Pretty lame actually. It says I own a 1973 Silverado.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds good. How about Mobil 1? We have the synthetic it at work. I can get royal purple but I think only at speed shop around here and they are pretty overpriced.

The other site has some sort of april fool's thing. They even changed everyone's signatures. Pretty lame actually. It says I own a 1973 Silverado.

I hear rotella is the best for break in purposes due to having a higher zinc content and other additives. I'm sure you'd be fine with whatever you go with though...just as long as there's oil in there. Side note...I always heard the break in period was the first 1500miles, then swap oil, then swap in 2k...then continue normally.

As for you now owning a 73 Silvy...they're ghey.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana

aw man, that's pretty lame.

My profile on french turd enthusiasts:

1974SuperCabsilverado
user_online.gif

Junior User

-Matt 1974 silverado Supercab 390V8, C6 Transmission

'smiliedoh'

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Pretty gay if ya ask me. I would either use rotella or the zinc addative to break it in. Its mostly for the cam and lifters but it helps with the rest too. I always ran it for 100 miles and changed it then 500 and changed it then 1000 and changed it and after that I just changed it every 3000 also remember when ya get it and your drivin dont hold a constant rpm for very long. If your on the freeway then go 60 for 10 minutes or so then bump it up to 65 or down to 55 and just keep doin that till ya get 2 or 3000 miles on it. After that drive it normal.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will use the rotella. Should it be 15w40 for the break in? I've heard 1500 miles as well, but will change at 500, not a big deal for me and again at 1000. Then after that should I just use 10w30 synthetic? When I did my Dad's motor we just used normal oil even for the break in and had no trouble at all. But I will follow everyone's suggestions here. I'm just trying to get some ideas as far as what synthetic to run. Like I said before Royal Purple is a hassle only because I don't like the speed shop that sells it around here. Most auto parts stores kepp pretty good oil stocked and I can get discounts on a lot of it. I don't do too much freeway driving so I will be at alot of different rpms for awhile. It is going to be tough trying to figure out the miles since my speedometer hasn't worked in a long time LOL. Something else I guess I'll fix.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
also remember when ya get it and your drivin dont hold a constant rpm for very long. If your on the freeway then go 60 for 10 minutes or so then bump it up to 65 or down to 55 and just keep doin that till ya get 2 or 3000 miles on it. After that drive it normal.

Really??????I never heard that before...explain please? Is it so it doesn't get used to running/wearing at any particular spot?

And yes...it should be 15w40 rotella...

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Supercab 10000 or did you mean the first 1,000?

Maybe I'll just use rotella all the time. Walmart carries tons of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts