Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my truck and cat just behind my sister?
circa 1961

n573581751_127228_7481.jpg

how about these 40's pedal cars circa 1951

sitting on the floor i wasn't old enough to drive yet

NotOldenoughtodriveyet.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
great pictures Dennis

heh heh

my first girlfriend

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Daggon D...quite the ladies man back in the day. Now if only there were a lady that memorized FOMOCO parts....you'd be in heaven.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hey Ben remember you were worried about a little bit of smoke? I got pulled over by a cop yesterday for too much smoke because I was driving on a fouled plug. I'm ordering a new motor...not that I want to put out the money though haha

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Ben remember you were worried about a little bit of smoke? I got pulled over by a cop yesterday for too much smoke because I was driving on a fouled plug. I'm ordering a new motor...not that I want to put out the money though haha

Ouch...any tickets? Or was he cool about it? As for the new engine...I bet your arm was twisted so bad you just haaaaaaaaad to buy a new one right? Who are you ordering from?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am surprised the synthetic made that much of a difference! Cool!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was afraid of getting stopped for oil smoke in the 390, so I switched to synthetic oil. Doesn't smoke visibly...

Isn't that backwards???? I thought synthetics blew more smoke and caused leaks to get worse? Or is the smoke blown with synthetics just have more volume, but 'hides' the color and amount some?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Isn't that backwards???? I thought synthetics blew more smoke and caused leaks to get worse? Or is the smoke blown with synthetics just have more volume, but 'hides' the color and amount some?

It leaks and smokes about the same, but you can't see the smoke with synthetic. Used car dealer's trick.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The way I always heard was this....

Think of your motor as a pocket. Say you get a hole in your pocket and you have a pocket full of odd change(conventional oil) if the hole is a dime size you will only leak a little and have the chance of a quarter helping to stop the leak. now say you have the same pocket with the same hole and a pocket full of dimes(synthetic oil) you will stand to lose more iol that way.

That being said if you noticed a drop in smoke GREAT!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Never heard it put that way before Doc...but yeah, that's what I thought was supposed to happen. And for the record, when I tried synthetics in the Bronk...it was the worst thing for it, althought the smoke did seem to have a lighter haze/color...So Matt, maybe your 390 isn't too bad of a burner yet, and it just 'camo'd' the smoke.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah the guy that built my motor said the same thing. So I run Royal Purple through mine now exclusivly.

The way I always heard was this....

Think of your motor as a pocket. Say you get a hole in your pocket and you have a pocket full of odd change(conventional oil) if the hole is a dime size you will only leak a little and have the chance of a quarter helping to stop the leak. now say you have the same pocket with the same hole and a pocket full of dimes(synthetic oil) you will stand to lose more iol that way.

That being said if you noticed a drop in smoke GREAT!

Change you can believe in ! ;)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
HAHAHA Reps for that!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Naw, it uses the same amount of oil, you just can't see synthetic smoke.

It would still fail a sniffer because of the hydrocarbons. There's just nothing you can see...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Cop was pretty arrogant but let me go when I proved I was on my way to work to fix the fouled plug. I was going to get a Jasper motor to get the 3 year/100k warranty for like $1800 because I'm not looking for any performance stuff, but I'm actually getting on from Autozone because they are giving me a 3 year/ unlimited mile warranty for only $1300. While some of you might be against AZ stuff this is what I can afford right now and since my truck is smoking still with 2 quarts of lucas and 3 quarts of straight 50w I think it's gonna blow soon HAHA. However my rear main seal does not leak anymore because it is so thick. Motor will be here on April 9th.

Last edited:
My 400 at 417,000 km was so worn out it pinged at idle. Very few leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts