Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Pump Replacement

95 f150 5.8L 249k

My truck has really low fuel pressure with KOEO and KOER. It is just now falling out of the acceptable band (<30psi). Now I can hear the front fuel pump (which has the lowest pressure) run non-stop. Looking for advice on replacement.

Is this a difficult task that I should let a shop do? If I do it myself would you recommend taking off the bed or lowering the tank?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you have manpower, I'd say that removing the bed might actually be easier. 2 strong guys can move it, 3 regular people, or 4 average joes can move the bed gently into your yard. It's 6 bolts, 2 wire harnesses (tail lights), and a few screws at the fuel necks.

If it's just you.... You won't move that bed very easily and will have to do it from underneath.

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Get a complete unit, one that contains a fuel gauge assy too.
For the small amount of money you save, the fuel guage assy is fragile, and very easy to damage when switching over

Use a little oil on the rubber o ring when you set the lock ring, it needs to "slip" a little, and not pinch, or you will have a leak with a full tank

I usually end up emptying the tank, and dropping it, everyone disappears when they find out you want to pull the bed

Pulling the tank gives you a chance to see if there is rust under the straps

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I've done it both ways. With help pulling the bed is easier unless the bed bolts are rusted tight.
Normally I don't ask for help and drop the tank plus as Charlie said you can check for rust.

Fellro

Staff member
For the front tank I can get the pump out with out removing the bed or dropping the tank. Rear is impossible to do without doing one of the two operations. However, my exhaust is easy to drop, so I generally move it out of the way and sit on the far side of the drive shaft while I get the lock ring off and pull the pump out.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Dropping the tank has always proved easiest for me...

Unless I'm mistaken the fuel pump does run all the time... It may be getting noisy in its old age which is why you're hearing it more.

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, the pumps must run the entire time the engine is running. If they were to stop, so would the flow.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The pumps run, as long as the distributer is turning.
When you first turn on the key, the pump will come on, and bring the system up to pressure, then stop if the computer doesn't get a signal from the distributer

newer trucks with coil packs use crank triggers

So I was referring to the buzz noise that usually lasts for 2 seconds on engine start. It is doing that all the time now. Still normal? It never did that before and the other tank doesn't do it.

Fellro

Staff member
It may be going bad, and the noise is your warning. That is the pump in the tank though, as it has to run all the time to maintain fuel flow and pressure.

I dropped the tank, took me 3 hours. I definitely understand why people take the bed off, especially for dual tanks.

KOEO pressure is back within range and truck runs smoother.

Thanks for the help guys! On to the next project...

rock on!!smiliepeelout

Ford Truck Articles