Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FE Motors

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
First post!! Don't know about the rest of you but I like Ford FE engines, never had any problems with them and they usually run forever.

Fellro

Staff member
I must have had the lemons, when they run, it's pretty good, but when they go, it's way bad... wrist pin retainers fail, letting the pin wear the cylinder walls, valve seats fail, even had one rip the end off the connecting rod, cap and all, at IDLE!:headbang: It of course wiped out the new high volume oil pump and mounting boss on the block... The 390 had some serious torque though...

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Wow i've never had any issues with mine, had a 352 in my 66 f250 that had a million miles on it, then I built a 390 punched out .060 cylinder walls got real thin, beat the hell out of it and it never broke. Thing would only buzz 5500 rpm max wot at 130mph had a 4spd w/granny. It would burn all 4 gear though. Have a FE 410 just hanging around waiting for a project to come along to put it in, have some 13:1 pistons waiting to go into it.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I've been plowing snow this winter with a 52 F6 that has a strong 360 in it. Pretty impressive power in a truck that weighs 6500. Measuring fuel economy as gallons per hour :)

Just got the truck in Nov as a parts truck for my 48 F6, but needed it now. Hope it stops snowing by June - I've got projects I need to work on, like heat in the shop for starters.

The FE is a great engine but, there sre so many variations and levels of parts quality you have to know what you are looking at/for before you buy it. Kinda like learning to play poker, it can and often does get expensive.

I've got a 390 in my '68 that I rebuilt right out of highschool that is still running (I graduated in '79). The odometer has rolled over three times since.
Started out with 10:1 compression, but have a feeling it has dropped a bit. lol.
Poor truck has been retired into my seasonal wood hauler.

Last edited:
looks like it can still haul!

i think i seen this truck before, you must live in Podunk, lol

looks like it can still haul!

i think i seen this truck before, you must live in Podunk, lol

Tucson huh....Might have, spent alot of years driving around town in that truck. Podunk is just north of the Old Pueblo, so small, won't even find it on the map, lol..:beer:
Nice what is that? 65?

I'll let y'all know how I feel about it when I drive mine. :headbang:

Ok, I must have missed that one, why are you banging you head?:D

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Tucson huh....Might have, spent alot of years driving around town in that truck. Podunk is just north of the Old Pueblo, so small, won't even find it on the map, lol..:beer:
Nice what is that? 65?

I bought my truck it runs but I am in the process of redoing my brake system and I have never driven it. I'm just taking care of issues it has before I drive it. I can't complain I only paid $300.00 for it.I have a thread in Gen 6 forum called Roadworthy.I am banging my head cause I want to drive it.

Gotcha, looks like your doing it right though. You'll pat yourself on the back for all that hard work when your done.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Gotcha, looks like your doing it right though. You'll pat yourself on the back for all that hard work when your done.

Thanks. Once I get the brakes done I will pull the trans for new seals and change the fluids in the torque converter.I have been thinking about a shift kit but never done one before

Nice what is that? 65?

I know all the podunk towns north of tucson, spent all my life around these parts heck, i grew up in san man lived in oracle my wife is from mammoth.

I bet we know some of the same people,

and yes, the white one is a 65 and the yellow one is a 66.

cliff, get out there and do it! does your son still help you out?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I know all the podunk towns north of tucson, spent all my life around these parts heck, i grew up in san man lived in oracle my wife is from mammoth.

I bet we know some of the same people,

and yes, the white one is a 65 and the yellow one is a 66.

cliff, get out there and do it! does your son still help you out?

Hey Bill yes he does when I ask him. It's been raining here for 2 days again.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
The yellow one is a 66.
Bill, my first truck was a white '66 F100! I was a rare long bed stepside(You young guys call them flaresides now). I drove that thing until the wheels fell off, almost!!!

I bet we know some of the same people

Small world, I bet we do also. I grew up near La Canada and Magee and moved to Oracle almost 20 years ago. I'll keep an eye out for those trucks.
Did you see the stacks go down?

Sorry for the thread highjack guys, I promise to get back to subject here shortly..YelloThumbUp

Last edited:
My Mom lives in Oracle, i bet you went to cdo,

here is some clues, i have a sister named Carolyn W.

she was married to Robert Guyton, there kids are Kassie and Kimberly

i'm good friend's with the Ramsey's Willy and Regg.

i am a painting contractor in tucson

my dad worked at the mine 38 + years

the stacks falling was real COOL!

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
My Mom lives in Oracle, i bet you went to cdo,

here is some clues, i have a sister named Carolyn W.

she was married to Robert Guyton, there kids are Kassie and Kimberly

i'm good friend's with the Ramsey's Willy and Regg.

i am a painting contractor in tucson

my dad worked at the mine 38 + years

the stacks falling was real COOL!

Bill you forgot your Great looking wife.YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts