Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

eating starters

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Dumb question, Is the engine loose from the transmission?

**could flexplate have been too damaged after the first starter bolts got loose and broke the starter?**
^^^ Holy crappola dude, that's information we could've used from the beginning. ;) ^^^

i will look {in the dangged mirror} for {a guy} to {replace the starter-drive, bearings and brushes in}
my old ford starter (still have it but teeth are bit worn) {I can buy a new Standard Motor Products
starter parts from Rockauto.com or Amazon.com} and {match that} with a new flexplate {or maybe
only just replace the ring gear myself?}

Alvin in AZ
ps- Good one... :)
"You might also put a dial indicator on the flex plate to see if it's bent." -M78

Last edited:
Just a thought, could your solenoid be getting locked up and keeping the starter engaged? I've seen this happen before. As well as a faulty ignition switch causing the starter to stay engaged also. I would replace the solenoid since its cheap and wouldn't hurt. If the problem persists, maybe change the ignition switch out.

Just a thought, could your solenoid be getting locked up and keeping the starter engaged? I've seen this happen before. As well as a faulty ignition switch causing the starter to stay engaged also. I would replace the solenoid since its cheap and wouldn't hurt. If the problem persists, maybe change the ignition switch out.

I had the same type solenoid on a winch switch on a jeep. It stuck in the on position once and pulled the dang jeep up against a tree and pulled the branch down and crushed the hood, melted the lead terminals off the battery which melted through the top of the battery and burnt up the alternator.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Have you fixed the flex plate, or do you just keep putting starters on?

sorry for late respond, haven't been near any pc for a week (holiday).
-flexplate has been changed after first new starter was gone, (i replaced tranny aswell then)
-starter solenoid was renewed when first starter was and don't keep starting, starter itself returns to position, last starter that has been put on wasn't done by me.
-when i had problems with this one i saw he had put a long bolt with a nut behind it to it and he didn't got the nut against tranny so it was tensioned with the wrench but i think because the force of a starter it pushed itself backwards, i called him and he said the tread was damaged so he had no choice, so i putted a bigger tread in it to get the starter tight but damage was already done:
the ear which hold starter to trans was in half. couldn't start anymore, so then i took of the inspection plate and i saw the pinion was coming out but had all the place to turn free from the flexplate, this made me think flexplate wasn't correct.
so i counted teeth and has the same 164 as the old one.
then i pried the starter with a long wrench towards the center of the tranny so between starter and exhaust. this worked to start the truck. i ordered new starter and flexplate but what can be causing this? or are both sides teeth so far gone?
sorry for the long text but maybe it helps

Fellro

Staff member
the ear which hold starter to trans was in half.
If this is not resolved, it will not keep the starter in place. Sounds like the bolt got loose, damaged the threads, damaged the flexplate, and is the main source of the headaches. The longer bolt and nut would work as long as it pulls it tight, and is about the right diameter to keep it from moving outward. If you think about it, it is only those two bolts for the most part that keep that starter in place. If one is loose, or the ear is broken off, it is down to one bolt holding it.

If this is not resolved, it will not keep the starter in place. Sounds like the bolt got loose, damaged the threads, damaged the flexplate, and is the main source of the headaches. The longer bolt and nut would work as long as it pulls it tight, and is about the right diameter to keep it from moving outward. If you think about it, it is only those two bolts for the most part that keep that starter in place. If one is loose, or the ear is broken off, it is down to one bolt holding it.

this ear breakage happened on the old tranny so not the new one

Ford Truck Articles