Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

eating starters

so this is the fourth starter i installed and again it's starting to go...
it all started after putting in a new one because of lame starting all the new where acdelco, after the first starter i put a new drivewheel in aswell still no luck, starters are 1.8kW (too high?) or should i try another brand and again new drivewheel?

Fellro

Staff member
Ford used Delco starters on some applications as well. Main thing to be aware of is sometimes the starters are for differing applications. The parts callout for like my 78 is one starter # for manual vs a different one for auto.

Also, please clarify what is failing on the starter, is the motor getting weak, or are the drives failing?The only time the flywheel/flexplate needs to be changed is if the teeth are damaged.

it always feels like teeth are passing (not engaging) also making more noise than normal, driveplate has small damage due this (has been renewed) i had two starters skipping teeth cause casing bolts came loose, one starter it gear has got a crack in it... except the origin which came to weak to start engine at normal temp this one only had this problem.

If you still have the original Starter then check it against the others to make sure that they are the same like Fellro suggested ..... also if you have the original starter maybe you could get it rebuilt rather than buying replacement ones.

still have original starter but doubt that they know what teeth to put on, (they are worn aswell) problems always occur after few days/weeks of install,

Fellro

Staff member
From the last post, I would say bendix drive. Also, sounds like the replacements are the wrong style. You apparently have replacement starters that are spaced out too far. It only takes a little bit to be too much.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Manual starter will not work on an automatic, the nose cone is spaced back, and the teeth will barely hit the flywheel. Automatic on a manual will hammer the teeth off the starter, because the flywheel is too close.

You could also have the wrong motor plate between the motor and trans, putting your starter in the wrong position, even if it is the right starter

starter and motorplate both come from rockauto, both ford auto trans c6...
which is what i have.

i took the 1.8kW version because i thought the other was too weak.,

Fellro

Staff member
Could you post the part numbers?

Fellro

Staff member
By the numbers, it checks out. Since you have had more than one, that likely rules out mispackaging.

dont really think so, don't hear anything wrong, the first day it starts normal and then it goes louder and louder untill starter will not engage.
could it be the plate between engine and bell housing? or engine crankcase bearing? looks like their is a little oil on the plate on the bell housing...

could flexplate have been too damaged (was new) after the first starter body bolts got loose and broke the starter? i will look for a company to rebuilt my old ford starter (still have it but teeths are bit worn) and put this with new flexplate (the others are ac delco's 1.8kW)

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
You can get a shim for them, but it only moves it forward out of the hole, it sounds like somehow you are too far away from it.

If you can get it rebuilt, they will be able to put a new bendix on it as well. Could you maybe post a pic of the damage? That would maybe help determine what is happening.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts