Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's 1990 F-Superduty Build Thread

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
IMG_20110128_124141.jpg

IMG_20110128_124748.jpg

Gotta wet sand it and throw down another coat. Then polish!!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off...Thank God, I thought you were posting finished panels...oughta look reeeeeal good when you're done.

Secondly, what are you spraying or rolling?

Lastly, what made you decide on brown?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
First off...Thank God, I thought you were posting finished panels...oughta look reeeeeal good when you're done.

Secondly, what are you spraying or rolling?

Lastly, what made you decide on brown?

1. Far from done! Plenty of work shall be put into it, but it already has potential. I'm really eager to see how it all pulls together.

2. Spraying Rustoleum Leather Brown

3. I'm not quite sure why I chose brown... white was too, well, white... and all of the other colors seemed not fit for either my taste or the truck. I saw this color and thought it'd look awesome on the truck! smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1) Good, I saw that 'orange peel' in the original pic and figured I should be nice...haha

2) What are you using to spray with?

3) It looks good, but I definitely think it'll need something to break up the monotony of the brown.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
1) Good, I saw that 'orange peel' in the original pic and figured I should be nice...haha

2) What are you using to spray with?

3) It looks good, but I definitely think it'll need something to break up the monotony of the brown.

1) Heh, that peel is going away. I'm a pro at wet sanding now, by the way. :D

2) I am using this:

IMG_20110128_142424.jpg

It has an adjustable pattern, 1.88MM tip. My grandfather bought it God knows when and has never used it.

3) I thought about perhaps running some bedliner on the bottom few inches of the sides, all the way across.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
3) I thought about perhaps running some bedliner on the bottom few inches of the sides, all the way across.

IIRC...Ford actually ran kind of textured 'protective' layer during that era across the rockers...all I've seen it in is clear, but it was there. One thing to remember with the bedliner is it can get heavy quick, you probably don't care about that though. But something I would care about is the liner chipping, flaking, etc...and if it doesn't do that, when it starts to dull, I think it would look crappy and seriously detract from your paint. But I think you're right, some color on the rocker would look nice.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
IIRC...Ford actually ran kind of textured 'protective' layer during that era across the rockers...all I've seen it in is clear, but it was there. One thing to remember with the bedliner is it can get heavy quick, you probably don't care about that though. But something I would care about is the liner chipping, flaking, etc...and if it doesn't do that, when it starts to dull, I think it would look crappy and seriously detract from your paint. But I think you're right, some color on the rocker would look nice.

Bedliner can get pretty heavy... The thickness could detract from the visual aspect too. I've used a rattle can Rustoleum textured spray that I like. Perhaps I'll throw that on there. And if it chips, I can just break out the can.

Or I could just go with a contrasting paint down there... I'll find out as I get farther into the project.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree with Ben, that's more than a little too much brown. Looks like the duece I dropped the other day. You will need something to contrast it better but, brown will be a ton more difficult.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Example using Eric's truck (Note that the gloss qualities are not the same as my project - gloss brown, flat/satin black accents)

IMG_1519.jpg

I like to color combo, as well as the hood trim. Perhaps I'll add that on too...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
After a wet sand; don't mind the residue on the panel... A couple of drips need to be annihilated, but all is well.

IMG_20110128_145617.jpg

IMG_20110128_145110.jpg

IMG_20110128_145040.jpg

IMG_20110128_145032.jpg

IMG_20110128_144951.jpg

Gonna be NICE N SHINY!!!!

IMG_20110128_153806.jpg

A shot in the dark here... Not sure what to think of it yet; I kinda like it.

IMG_20110128_144925.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Rustoleum High Heat engine satin black... or something like that.

I think you're gonna find dirt and dust sticks to the satin on the wheels more than you'd like...but maybe not?

Paint looks good...how much time, and how many gallons of Rustoleum do you figure to have invested in this by the time you get done?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Finally got the front lower fascia primed and ready to go. I broke out the sanding wheel for the drill. (BTW, I'm loving my new porter cable drill - it has a 2 speed transmission for low tq or high tq - it really works great for this job)

I went to good ol Wally World tonight and snagged 5 cans of flat black for recessed areas/back sides of pieces. I think having the mounting areas and backside in black will make the job stand out. Oh, the cans were only 97 cents.

Here's something that has me stumped; the date here indicates it being made in 91... while there's another date on the same piece that says '90'... hmm.
IMG_20110205_213256.jpg

IMG_20110205_213321.jpg

IMG_20110205_213342.jpg

IMG_20110205_223219.jpg

I also manged to find some of the brown in cans. I picked up a couple, just in case I find a need for them. One thing that bothers me, though, is that they are not the Rustoleum "professional" flavor; we'll see how that works out.

IMG_20110205_223236.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts