Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 Bronco brakelight/turnsignal help.

Fellro

Staff member
Electrical connection cleaner, brake cleaner (be careful, it is hard on paint)

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Electrical connection cleaner, brake cleaner (be careful, it is hard on paint)

I have brake cleaner... I'll just take the whole mess out clean it, since it's unscrewed and unplugged... Instead of risking taking the paint off the steering column :rofl:

Fellro

Staff member
There are some areas that need grease as well, some dielectric grease won't hurt on the contact area. Silicone spray grease works well for the moving area.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Are you hiding Jessica Simpson down there somewhere? I might make the trip down if she's in your garage somewhere :-D

Haha, nope... sure ain't. :rofl:

And we picked up some electronics cleaner, sprayed it on the switch... and cleaned it with q-tips. It was pretty filthy, but still ain't working.

One thing I did notice, if the parking lights are on, when you turn the signal switch left OR right, it dims the left brake light. Otherwise, the left one seems to be brighter than the right one. There's only one filament on each bulb that's on though, and it's just that one filament that's going dim on the light too.

Ya'll still say it's that switch? We are ordering one tommorrow, unless ya'll got anything else to try first. smiliepopcorn

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Bought the switch.... parts place said we could pick it up tommorrow.

It's suppossed to rain, but I may end up working on it anyway, cause I wanna see if this fixes it or not. [confused]

I'll let ya'll know something tommorrow...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Update: Dang switch didn't fit right. It bolted up but the connector wouldn't fit... it went in about 1/8th of the way, but not enough to latch in.

Took it back to the parts place, and he ordered another one cause he said it may have been made wrong. [confused]

If this other one doesn't fit, I guess I'll just end up ordering one from Bronco Graveyard.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Ok guys... we ended up getting a turn signal switch from JBG. And installed it today with...NO change in what it's doing. :headbang:

I guess I'm gonna start checking grounds now... anybody know where all the grounds on these things are at? So I'm not just randomly crawling around looking for loose ground wires... I'll know a general area to look in.

We have grounds in the rear behind the lights but is that all of them?
Somebody said to look under the dash, there was one under there...but I dunno. [confused]

As always, Any help is greatly appreciated...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
You have checked the wires with a multimeter or one of those lights right?

Yep, I have one hot prong on the connector into the switch,with the ignition on, seems like it's the top left one. (it's late, so I'm trying to remember)

And with the parking lights on and the ignition on, I have two hot prongs on that connector, the top left one, and the third one over on top.
(which doesn't match the wire for the light on the turn signal switch, that lights up the gear your in, but it should be for that, I would think? [confused])

Right now the only thing we have working in that runs through that switch, is the horn. :(

We are planning on taking the F-350 up to the dealer for a recall tomorrow, so I'll probably talk with one of the mechanics up there, and see what the think..

Only other thing left now, is a ground wire, or an exposed wire shorting out though, right? :headbang:

I hate electrical problems!!

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yep, I have one hot prong on the connector into the switch,with the ignition on, seems like it's the top left one. (it's late, so I'm trying to remember)

And with the parking lights on and the ignition on, I have two hot prongs on that connector, the top left one, and the third one over on top.
(which doesn't match the wire for the light on the turn signal switch, that lights up the gear your in, but it should be for that, I would think? [confused])

Right now the only thing we have working in that runs through that switch, is the horn. :(

We are planning on taking the F-350 up to the dealer for a recall tomorrow, so I'll probably talk with one of the mechanics up there, and see what the think..

Only other thing left now, is a ground wire, or an exposed wire shorting out though, right? :headbang:

I hate electrical problems!!
hey i just got an idea. it sounds like you'll probably have to rewire your brake lights and turn signals right? well if you do why dont you buy a seperate brake light and take it and have it in the cab with you and splice it into the brake wiring at the closest point to the cab. and then see if it works. if it does then there is a problem with the wiring past that point if not then you know then its probably somewhere in the cab or a ground.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
When the wiring in my F100 was giving me problems, I went out and got another rear harness from an 81 that wasn't hacked to pieces.

Wiring isn't that bad Tyler,it's only bad when it doesn't go your way.lol.

Hope ya find some answers man.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
hey i just got an idea. it sounds like you'll probably have to rewire your brake lights and turn signals right? well if you do why dont you buy a seperate brake light and take it and have it in the cab with you and splice it into the brake wiring at the closest point to the cab. and then see if it works. if it does then there is a problem with the wiring past that point if not then you know then its probably somewhere in the cab or a ground.

I need to just crawl under there and check if I'm getting power on the brake light wires under the dash... just need to figure out which one it is.

Wiring isn't that bad Tyler,it's only bad when it doesn't go your way.lol.

Exactly right... :rofl: :rofl:

Have you checked the wires hooked up to the lights to see if they were getting power, a multi-meter might be better due to the fact you'd be able to know how much current they are getting.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Have you checked the wires hooked up to the lights to see if they were getting power, a multi-meter might be better due to the fact you'd be able to know how much current they are getting.

Nope, sure ain't. Probably do that when ever I get a chance..

And I have a multi-meter, just ain't really used it all that much... so I don't fully understand how it works. :headbang:

Nope, sure ain't. Probably do that when ever I get a chance..

And I have a multi-meter, just ain't really used it all that much... so I don't fully understand how it works. :headbang:

Ok, here's what I do when testing batteries, first find something that you know is getting the proper amount of current, I think I use a setting labeled VDC (Voltage DC) keep turning the VDC setting up until your not burying the meter. Then when you get that reading compare that number to the reading from the turn signal. (It would be a lot more helpful if I had my multimeter)

38070.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts