Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 Bronco brakelight/turnsignal help.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Ok, so I'v been trying to figure this out for a couple days now and don't know where to go from here.. all the lights work except for brake lights and turn signals (no turn signals anywhere, not just on the back. Doesn't light up the turn signal indicators on the dash either)

It has new taillight bulbs, new turn signal flasher, fuse's are good, brake light switch is good, and I ever went as far as sanding the contacts on the fuse panel(they where rusted), with no luck...

I crawled under it and looked for loose wires to, but I don't see any broken or hanging down except for one liscense plate light wire.

Any suggestions are appreciated, and if you need any more info let me know.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Did you check the grounds?

Do any of the other gauge cluster lights work?Could be bad bulbs in the instrument cluster causing the indicators not to work.

Or maybe it's your turn signal switch on the column.Sure hope not though.

Fellro

Staff member
Well, the turn signal switch has everything to do with the rear, and with the fronts out, it could be the source wire to the switch or the switch itself. Had one in the past that the brake light only worked on one side, which i could change by changing which direction I had last turned it to...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Did you check the grounds?

Do any of the other gauge cluster lights work?Could be bad bulbs in the instrument cluster causing the indicators not to work.

Or maybe it's your turn signal switch on the column.Sure hope not though.

Haven't checked the grounds, may do that when I get chance.

All the instrument lights work..

and I hope it ain't that dang switch. I didn't even think about it. :rotz:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have managed to get a turnsignal switch working before just by cleaning it with electronics cleaner.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I have managed to get a turnsignal switch working before just by cleaning it with electronics cleaner.

It's not the switch I'm worried about, it's only like $10, it's changing the dang thing that bothers me...

It's in the steering column ain't it?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Changing a switch in a 78 is a cake and ice cream job. Simple as simple as can be.

thats good to know!

I was looking at a diagram of it, and it looked like it would be a pretty good job, but I'm glad it ain't.

It only takes common tools to, right? If so I'll just go ahead and tear into it whenever it quits raining. (Probably be Tuesday or Wednesday though..)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Tyler I had the same problem on my 76 and we tried the stupid turn signal cam by itself which is what I assume your talkin about for 10 bucks. What we ended up doin is gettin the whole turn signal stat along with the wirin that goes down the column that was 75 bucks last I remember but it fixed it and never had a problem with it. One thing about it was it didnt come with a new plug for the bottom of the column so ya gotta take the old wires out of the plug and put the new ones in.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Got the wheel off, and the switch unplugged and ready to be pulled out today... Gonna get another one before I take it all the way out though.

Wasn't that bad at all, just had to borrow a steering wheel puller from my uncle (Just had to walk across the field to their house), and about 20 minutes later it was completely dissembled. smilieeatndrink

Now, to convince dad that really IS the problem, even after telling him ya'll said that's what it probably was, and a few people telling him the same thing in person, he is still a little hesitant to buy it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I may be cheap, but I'd still try cleaning yours first. A lot of the times when they go bad, it's just because of years of gunk building up on the contacts.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I may be cheap, but I'd still try cleaning yours first. A lot of the times when they go bad, it's just because of years of gunk building up on the contacts.

I'll try it... how do you clean it? [confused]

Come fix mine after you do yours :D

and adjust my headlights while you're at it :p

Bring it down here, and I'll help ya fix it.... when it isn't snowing. smilieeatndrink

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts