Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1995 F350 Automatic Question

I have a "new-to-me" 1995 F350, with 460 & automatic. Some questions:
1. From reading through these threads I think this might be a E40D. How do I confirm?

2. The column shift has a pushbutton on the end of it, which seems to do nothing at all. What is it supposed to do? I also have a F150 with a similar button on the dash, which kicks you out of OD. This one does not seem to do that. If this is an OD I would at least like to figure out if it is in OD.

3. Shifting: When accelerating from a stop or very slow, the transmission does not want to shift unless I let up on the throttle. Then it shifts. Next shift is similar, but might shift on its own. Next shift is OK. When it does shift it hits hard, like I got rearended. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It sounds like you do have the E4OD, with the push button override on the end of the shifter handle. That's the easiest way to tell.

Have you pulled any codes yet for the truck? That might be a good place to start. Does it really feel like something is wrong, or perhaps just shift points you're not accustomed to?

Ryan

I have not read codes yet. I travel a lot and am in Tucson right now, so cannot get to that until Wednesday next week. I will do it. No, it does not feel like something is wrong. Just shifts a lot different than I expected. Really, I was wondering what I should expect when I punch the button. As far as I can tell, nothing happens.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If I recall correctly (mine has been running in like a year), you should push the button and an indicator light should come on the dash, shutting out overdrive (4th gear).

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Unless it's fried like mine, and it kicks into neutral instead of od...... I just run mine with od off.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts