Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 PM

Fearless Fly is on a distinguished road
1976 F250 2" Wide Rear Brake Drum

I have a 1976 F250 with rear brake problems. The drums are worn down to the point they need to be replaced. It has a light duty brake system with an unusual rear drum size, 2" wide 12" diameter, which I cannot find a replacement for. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what have you done to solve it? There are plenty of 2-1/2" drums available. I'm wondering if the whole assembly, plate and all, can be switched for a 2-1/2" assembly. Any ideas?

Last edited by Fearless Fly; 02-15-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2021, 09:29 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud of
What axle does your truck have? That may determine what your options are for replacement brake kits.

Not sure what your budget is but if drum brakes would be expensive anyway, might be worth looking at a disk brake conversion

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 02-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud of
I found this part number for that 12 1/8 inch x 2" drum, D1TZ-1126-A. I found a couple of different sources for them but they seem to be pricey.

Hope that helps!

'77 F100 Flareside

Old 02-19-2021, 08:15 PM

Fearless Fly is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jasperrc. I'm trying to find out about the axel type, didn't there were different ones for the same model. I'm not sure but I think it's a non-floating or light duty axle.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 PM
Texas Chapter member

If you are lucky there should be a metal tag on one of the bolts on the pumpkin that has the ID for the axle on it. You should be able to figure out the axle from there. Wouldn't hurt to double check the type to make sure you are looking for the right part.

'77 F100 Flareside

Tags
1976, brakes, f250, light duty brakes, rear brake drum