Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Bronco Discussion

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anyone have any trac bar pics I can use as a comparison to mine? If ya do, post it here, PM me, or email me...thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anyone here done the F350 brake upgrade?????? I plan on doing it when I get home...I only plan on doing it when I get home...I'm only planning on doing the MC/booster for the time being, and I'll do tbird calipers and 350 cylinders at a later date. Anyway, am I correct in the assumption that the only thing that isn't a bolt in is the fitting to the front brake needs to be swapped to a 3/8 threaded nut...and the brake lines need to be re-routed????

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
This is just a general big Bronco chat thread, right?

Here's a question- what would my odds be of finding a nice (read: very little rust, not beat, not crazy-high miles), '87-'96 Bronco with a 5-speed and a 302? And what might it cost me?

I'm expecting to have to travel a bit to find a rust-free one, and not shopping until next summer at the earliest, but I've always liked those trucks.

Also- what might I expect to get for gas mileage from that combo?

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Anyone here done the F350 brake upgrade?????? I plan on doing it when I get home...I only plan on doing it when I get home...I'm only planning on doing the MC/booster for the time being, and I'll do tbird calipers and 350 cylinders at a later date. Anyway, am I correct in the assumption that the only thing that isn't a bolt in is the fitting to the front brake needs to be swapped to a 3/8 threaded nut...and the brake lines need to be re-routed????

Yes, make sure you get the right year! If you have a '79 I have the mc/booster sitting in my shed (I bought it for a 79 and I have a 78 DOH), but it has been sitting out there for a while not sure if they can go bad from sitting or not. Other than that it's just redoing the double flare for the right sized lines. I didn't do the tbird stuff because I put 1 ton axles under it anyway, so I have F350 brakes all the way through.

Michigan

Here's a question- what would my odds be of finding a nice (read: very little rust, not beat, not crazy-high miles), '87-'96 Bronco with a 5-speed and a 302? And what might it cost me?

I'm expecting to have to travel a bit to find a rust-free one, and not shopping until next summer at the earliest, but I've always liked those trucks.

Depending on your location its not to hard to come across a really clean bronco. Price might be a little higher but i cant see it being over $5000-6000

I havent seen many broncos with a manual around here. Seams to be pretty rare but its a pretty easy auto to manual swap. Did one in my buddys 150 and it really woke the truck up!

With my 31's on my old bronco i would see 15 and maby 16 if theres a good tail wind and thats highway mileage. 351 too

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here's a write up on the change. Someone posted this awhile ago and I saved it incase I needed to do it
http://www.okcnetworks.com/bronco/brakes/index.htm

HAHA...thanks, after I posted, I realized I put that exact link in the FAQ's.

If you're willing to travel, rust free will be easy, finding a 302 will be easy, under 4k will be easy...finding a stick will be pretty difficult IMO...I haven't seen too many at all. However, it's been my experience that the 302 isn't enough engine for these things, especially with high gearing...so you're constantly on it...and typically, the 351W and the 302 get about the same mpgs...seems to be the general concensus on FSB too. So why not go with the 351W for a little more power...and it seems there are a few more 351's with a stick. Another tidbit, stay as far away from the AOD as posible, so that leaves the E4OD...and as we know, until 94 the E4OD had some gremlins...so if I were you, I'd search for a 94-96 (96 has MAF) with a 351W and stick.

Yes, make sure you get the right year! If you have a '79 I have the mc/booster sitting in my shed (I bought it for a 79 and I have a 78 DOH), but it has been sitting out there for a while not sure if they can go bad from sitting or not. Other than that it's just redoing the double flare for the right sized lines. I didn't do the tbird stuff because I put 1 ton axles under it anyway, so I have F350 brakes all the way through.

Yeah, I knew about making sure you get the right year and for me, the one without CC. Anyway, I'll do a little digging to see how/if the MC/booster will go bad from sitting. How long are we talking? And how much are we talking if you're willing to get rid of it?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hell I don't even remember what I paid for, maybe been sitting a year, two years tops. Hows 100 plus shipping sound??

Appreciate the offer, but I can run down to the O'Reilly's pick up a cardon unit for $119.99. I'm sure the shipping from you to me would negate the difference. But thanks for the offer.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Get a 351w and swap in a zf5 Ian :D
Thinking about a driver, not a project....I'd really, really like to get into something reliable and 4wd before I start blowing any money on toys. And at this point, it's one or the other...cash only goes so far.

If you're willing to travel, rust free will be easy, finding a 302 will be easy, under 4k will be easy...finding a stick will be pretty difficult IMO...I haven't seen too many at all.
If it's not a stick, it negates the rest. No interest in an automatic whatsoever.

However, it's been my experience that the 302 isn't enough engine for these things, especially with high gearing...so you're constantly on it...and typically, the 351W and the 302 get about the same mpgs...seems to be the general concensus on FSB too. So why not go with the 351W for a little more power...and it seems there are a few more 351's with a stick. Another tidbit, stay as far away from the AOD as posible, so that leaves the E4OD...and as we know, until 94 the E4OD had some gremlins...so if I were you, I'd search for a 94-96 (96 has MAF) with a 351W and stick.
I said 302 mostly because I was thinking it would be the easiest to find with a stick, and also thinking a bit about fuel mileage. I dunno much about how Broncos were optioned, it just seems that around here, virtually none of the F-150s of those generations with the 351 have the manual trans.

Still curious on a number for fuel economy...I'm thinking maybe around 15?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anybody know off the top of their head what size socket/wrench is needed for the bolt and nut for the trac bar on the axle side...I know it's bigger 1 1/16".

Paul...do you still need to know about the core support bolts? I forgot all about them today, but I have all day tomorrow to check it out for you.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Hey Ian...not at all what you said you wanted...but there's an 85 Bronco 300/4sp you could probably get for 1500 on FSB right now. It looks pretty nice. I just saw it, and instantly thought of you. However, it's in Georgia...dunno if you'd wanna make that trip...although, it would only be about $100 bus ticket and probably a 22 hour ride

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hey Ian...not at all what you said you wanted...but there's an 85 Bronco 300/4sp you could probably get for 1500 on FSB right now. It looks pretty nice. I just saw it, and instantly thought of you. However, it's in Georgia...dunno if you'd wanna make that trip...although, it would only be about $100 bus ticket and probably a 22 hour ride

Thanks...if it was next spring, I'd be very interested in that truck- it's not what I described, but it is a Bronco with a clutch pedal, which is all I REALLY care about.

Unfortunately, I've yet to get even a single paycheck (worked two weeks, get paid for the first week next week), so $1500 plus 1000 miles worth of gas is more than I can swing right now, or probably for a little while.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
No worries...just figured I'd pass it along...and let you know they are out there...just few and far between.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts