Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Bronco Discussion

Michigan
Just gotta chime in here in agreement with Paco and UTfan68 - the guys here are definitely laid back and my biggest relief has been that someone will almost always answer my questions, even though I'm a newb. :)

As for regretting the sale of a past Bronco and wanting another - I thought (for just a second) I would offer mine for sale since I am currently out of work. I'm in AL so I'm just a state away from you. But then I thought about the history of my '78. In the past, I bought it from one friend, then sold it to another. I regretted doing that so much that I begged the second friend to sell it back to me. So don't EVER sell a classic vehicle unless you just can no longer keep it sitting around. :)

I also think just the "sentimental" value of a truck is priceless - the memories of the "adventures" you and friends had with the truck, the stucks, etc etc won't ever fade. I stuck mine in the bottom of a creek bed while trying to launch a john boat. Took 5 hours to walk out and find a tow truck. Driver would not go down into the creek to pull us out in his wrecker, so he went home and got his personal monster truck to do the job. However, with a CJ chained to his truck while trying to winch me out just slowly dragged them both into the water. We finally made the decision to crank my truck (risky under water) put it in reverse and help out, which worked. He charged me $65 to pull me out but it was quite an adventure. There were at least 12 other people caught up in the whole thing before it was over!

My '78 took us through the "blizzard of '93" - we had 18 inches of snow here in North AL. Although he was only 22 miles away, it took us 4 hours to get to a friends house that had power. We had to avoid some closed roads and wound up climbing over large tree trunks that had fallen across a major road to the interstate. Beside the road there is an 80 foot drop off for at least a mile and we had to walk the tightrope several times - fortunately, Big Red never slipped a tire.

So - don't sell your treasured rides and/or go buy again what you used to have and start having adventures immediately! I'll never sell mine again. :)

Later.
-rp-

Same here man, Ive tossed around the idea of selling mine, but that was mostly out of anger. I have way to much money into it now to sell it. Im not gonna loose my arse like i did my old one, see im much smarter and wiser than i was at 16..

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Wise words, my friend - age has a way of bringing wisdom to you, although sometimes kicking and screaming. (I'm 46 - I hope I've learned SOMETHING by now... :)

I hate to print a 4 letter word (Jeep) but I had an '86 CJ7 when I was 22 - bought it for $6k completely stock with 41k miles, sold it the same way 2 years later for $7k . It had not a SINGLE paint scratch, interior tear or crack, or a particle of rust - I kick myself to this day for selling it, if only for the fact that I probably could have sold it for twice as much if I had kept it in that condition!!

Hindsight is truly 20/20. :)

-rp-

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Welp...was doing a little digging around, saw this thread, and decided to bring it back for all those that own, owned or just love Broncos.

Have a funny little story too. Today, I swung by the football complex to get some info from the coaches. I parked in a space that is some pr*ck's unofficially assigned spot. I got what I needed from the coaches, came back out, and this guy had parked me in...what an azz. He didn't just block me in because he parked perpendicular to the spaces, so he parked two others in too. Well thanks to the tight turning, I work my way out of the space, but I go forward...so I'm driving along the side walk for about 100ft with the building to one side and the nose of other cars on the other, and make my way to the driveway. I realize I forgot to pick up the film I needed, so I swing back around and park in a 15 minute spot. By the time I get back out, the pr*ck's car is on the back of a roll back about to be towed away...hahahahahahha.

Moral(s) to the story: 1) Being a pr*ck doesn't pay. 2) Just because you have a d**k, doesn't mean you have to be one. Karma sucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh yeah...in other news...still have the full size (35x12.5x15) spare hanging off the back on the spare tire carrier. So far so good. I wanna know what the weak point is, that won't handle the 40lb weight increase from the stock 31" spare to the 35" fullsize. Is it the latch point on the gate? Is it the mounting point on the quarter panel? Is it the actual 'arms' that aren't meant to support the weight? I guess only time will tell.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Be sure to keep us posted YelloThumbUp

Will do.

And in yet another topic...noticed the ol' 351M is knocking for a few seconds on start up now, until the oil gets flowing. She's definitely on her last legs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, that's the truth...pretty hard to kill them. I wouldn't doubt I could run it another 100k as is. I just don't wanna cause anymore damage than is already in there...dunno how much more the wallet can take.

Keep us posted on the 460 swap. Are you fabbing up all your own mounts, brackets, etc...or are you goin the L&L route?

Michigan
Speaking of broncos.... I sold mine today

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Speaking of broncos.... I sold mine today

You're lying right...you can't drop a bomb like that without details.

Buying motor mounts, don't know about brackets and what not yet. Probably be fabbed. All I know is I can't wait to drive my Bronco again! The weather has been so nice out I want to take the top and doors off and go for a nice long cruise!

I bet not...since I got the 79 I've had the Bronco bug reeeeal bad, makes me wanna drive it more than Red.

Michigan
LMAO drop a bomb? lol im kiddin

Mines still just a rustin away lol

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I bet not...since I got the 79 I've had the Bronco bug reeeeal bad, makes me wanna drive it more than Red.

They're just fun to drive. Too bad mine spends more time broken and busted than being driven.. I'm looking at close to 400hp with the 460 my buddy is putting together for me.. should be fun :devil:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
LMAO drop a bomb? lol im kiddin

Mines still just a rustin away lol

Phew...I was gettin worried

They're just fun to drive. Too bad mine spends more time broken and busted than being driven..

I know...it makes me want to buy a back up so I can thrash it and keep one nice. Pretty nice number on the 460...vids and pics are required. Any projected completion date?

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I'd have one for a daily drive too if I felt comfortable towing the trail right with it, but I think it's a little too much weight for a bronco. My buddy's bronco had so much extra weight from the last mud bog we went to on the way home it was nearly throwing my superduty off the road with all the weight!

I've considered a centurion C350 Bronco psd, would be a nice driver..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah the C350's will handle anything a F350 will handle...dad had a '94 C350 with a 460...I'd love to have one of those again too, no complaints with it what so ever. But yeah, I understand the towing issue...I know I feel it when I tow my bro's 3k lb boat and trailer...much less a full size rig.

Michigan
I want a C350 with a 7.3L manual so bad i could spit! <spit>

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Paul...I've been meaning to ask, but what springs are you using under the rear of your Bronco??? Just curious because it looks like you have some pretty good flex. Are you happy with those Deaver's up front? I hear they're second to none, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a set when I redo the lift on the Bronco...stupid PO went with a RC lift and blocks in the rear.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts