Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Bronco Discussion

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The trip is pretty much on, minus the Bronco (I think). Apparently it isn't used to being driven like that and will break down:blah:.

That'stoo bad. Really, I wouldn't have any issues driving that rig, cuz I essentially did 5 hours back and forth across the mountains to school and it made a couple 17 hour trips to Wisconsin and back. Only issue (and weak mpoint IMO) is that AOD...get a tranny cooler before you go on any long trips in the future.

Are you finally growing a pair and going to tons? :cool:

Well I did sprout my first nut hair, so I'm thinking about going with tons. You remember what year trucks your axles came out of? BTW good to see the resident chicken fornicator again.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
For ease of installation you'll want a front 60 from a 78-79 truck. The tube on the drivers side is longer and easier to work with. The later D60's up to 91 will work as well but there is more work involved. I say up to 91 because you'll want a k-pin front and not a balljoint one.

That'stoo bad. Really, I wouldn't have any issues driving that rig, cuz I essentially did 5 hours back and forth across the mountains to school and it made a couple 17 hour trips to Wisconsin and back. Only issue (and weak mpoint IMO) is that AOD...get a tranny cooler before you go on any long trips in the future.
According to the brochure it has a "Auxiliary transmission oil cooler" don't know if that's the same thing or not. Oh, and how hard would it be to install one, i looked at the pricing and I could float that.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
According to the brochure it has a "Auxiliary transmission oil cooler" don't know if that's the same thing or not. Oh, and how hard would it be to install one, i looked at the pricing and I could float that.

Yeah that's what I was talking about...didn't know Broncos came with an additional cooler. As we all know though, stock sucks...but it's not difficult at all to install a new one.

Yeah that's what I was talking about...didn't know Broncos came with an additional cooler. As we all know though, stock sucks...but it's not difficult at all to install a new one.

Came with the trailering package, if the mounting stuff is all there I might have to think of upgrading, would it have to be bled like with brakes?

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Well I did sprout my first nut hair, so I'm thinking about going with tons. You remember what year trucks your axles came out of? BTW good to see the resident chicken fornicator again.

bagawwwk!

Front is 89 and rear is 9..1? i think. Sterling in the rear with vss.

For ease of installation you'll want a front 60 from a 78-79 truck. The tube on the drivers side is longer and easier to work with. The later D60's up to 91 will work as well but there is more work involved. I say up to 91 because you'll want a k-pin front and not a balljoint one.

TRUF

Came with the trailering package, if the mounting stuff is all there I might have to think of upgrading, would it have to be bled like with brakes?

No bleeding involved, but I doubt it would make much difference over the stock cooler unless you're planning on towing a lot of weight or big tires without regearing, or other things like that, that are hard on the trans. Maybe get a trans temp gauge if you're that worried about it, but it should be fine stock.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dunno there Paul...I know a bigger/better tranny cooler woulda saved or at least helped my AOD...but then again I did a pretty good amount of mountain driving. Flat driving probably wouldn't need an upgrade.

It's not too hilly arond here, being that mine has decently low millage I'm not going to worry too much. Den, did yours have a cooler?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...but I believe mine was a weak example of an aftermarket cooler.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't know much about automatic transmissions, but my understanding is that, while heat kills them, it is also possible to "overcool" an auto trans.

Anybody who's more knowledgeable than I care to chime in on that?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I know the "big tire tranny death" syndrome. Back when the '79 would pull our camper, on hot summer days (90+) running down the highway at 80mph sometimes the fluid would get so hot in the C6 that it would leak past the seals!!!!!

I bought and installed a trans temp gauge over one winter, and the day that I pulled the camper home one spring day (60 deg tops), I got to see that the temp was WAY higher than I ever thought it would be on a cool day.

I bought the biggest cooler that I could find that would fit in front of the rad (no A/C on the '79). That cured it........but then I had another problem, too cold in the winter................so I installed a thermostat for the trans inline with the aux cooler. Problem(s) fixed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Question about the front 60 swap...if the 78/9 60's have 3" wider tube, then that means on the later axles you have to relocate the coil buckets, right?

Which brings me to my next question, anyone who has swapped a 60 into a coil sprung front end, do you fab it to now be a leaf sprung front or just swap over the buckets?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Swap buckets, look here http://www.projectbronco.com/ Go under technical on the left and look for "RC Dana 60 Coil-Sprung Front Axle Conversion".

I have seen Bronco's with leaves underneath the north end but I think I would be easier and a WHOLE lot cheaper to retain the coils.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thank ya much, Lee

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas...trying to exhaust every possible option for a quick fix. I know where a couple junked 87-90 broncos are at, can/will the rear window out of one of those work if I grab the window tracks too? Or is the window contour too different?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As i understand, the contor is different...
But i cant say that for sure.

That's what I thought, but if I get the right tracks, will it be ok? Or is the whole friggin tailgate an issue.

Ford Truck Articles