Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Oil do you use?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Hell you ain't gotta worry bout bein judged here Nomad.....look!they let Tony, Chris, and That damn commie in here!

10w40 Valvoline Durablend with a Purolator Pure 1 filter....I used the FoMoCo filter once and for less than 1k miles.....my truck started ticking that is all i know.and I swear by Valvoline.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I use Castrol 10-40 dino in the F150. I have about 8000 miles on the engine. The next oil change i will swap to synthic.

In the powerstrokes I use Delo 15-40 dino oil and change them @ 5000 miles.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I use rotela 15w40 in mine. The machine shop that built the engine told me that would be the perfect weight for the clearances in my particular build.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I use rotela 15w40 in mine. The machine shop that built the engine told me that would be the perfect weight for the clearances in my particular build.

Clearances can determined oil weight?

yup, not enough and you can throw a bearing etc.. you would hear the lifters and such i believe.. i learned this stuff too today as well..

the 15w40 has magnesium(?) in the oil as well.. i think magnesium

Hell you ain't gotta worry bout bein judged here Nomad.....look!they let Tony, Chris, and That damn commie in here!

10w40 Valvoline Durablend with a Purolator Pure 1 filter....I used the FoMoCo filter once and for less than 1k miles.....my truck started ticking that is all i know.and I swear by Valvoline.

Motorcraft filters are suppose to be the best.. theres a reason there heavier than other brands lol.. althogh i also like Fram.. never had an issue with there filters.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I read a big long article a while back, written by a guy who use to work in the oil industry. There were a lot of points made about different oils and such-- but one of the things I remember was that his basic rule of thumb was to keep the "gap" between the two numbers as small as possible.

10w40 = 40-10 = 30
10w30 = 30-10 = 20

Something about how the larger the gap is, the quicker the oil breaks down and burns off it's additives. If someone knows the article that I'm talking about please post up the link here. It was VERY well written.

The old school rule of thumb with multi-viscosity oils is to keep the spread of the front number from the back number to 25 or less. This applied mainly to Group I & II dino basestocks. With synthetics (Group IV & V) and Group III basestocks the rule is no longer much of a factor since these oil basestocks have a very high Viscosity Index (VI). The higher the basestock VI the less susceptible the oil is to viscosity change. Low VI basestock oils (Group I & II) require a large amount of Viscosity Index Improvers (VII) be added to the oil mix. Usaually any basestock that is below a 10W requires VII additives to acheive the desired back number.

A 10W dino oil is good to -4F, 5W to -22F and 0W below -22F, synthetic basestocks are good to lower temperatures.

Generally it is a good idea to not run a multiweight oil with a back number below 30 for maximum protetion and most engines do not need above a 40 back number.

In the desert SW and if towing i run 15W-40 HDEO in everything. If i was in a colder climate i would run 10W-30 or 5W-40 synthetic HDEO.
Here are links to a couple of good articles on oil.
www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=518&relatedbookgroup=Maintenance

www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

Last edited:
Michigan
Hmmmm... 10W only good to -4... 5W to -22... yes i think il stick with 5W.. lol Thicker oil takes longer to get to the bearings than thinner. New motor i aint putting 10W in my truck.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Clearances can determined oil weight?

Yes sir. That is one reasons modern engines can last so much longer now. Due to advances in oils, bearing clearances can be set tighter.

That is one reason I tend to lean towards factory recommendations on stock vehicles, or the recommendation of a good machinist for engines I have had built.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
really, 5w? everyone else's seems to say 10w?

Not really I have Ftruck several owner manuals here that say 5w but I use 10w all time . My 93 and my 94 both say 5W

Michigan
Yes sir. That is one reasons modern engines can last so much longer now. Due to advances in oils, bearing clearances can be set tighter.

That is one reason I tend to lean towards factory recommendations on stock vehicles, or the recommendation of a good machinist for engines I have had built.

Very true. Most vehicles now use 0W30 or 40

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
My 04 Mustang calls for 5w20. It looks like water compared to the 15w40 in my truck. It stands to reason, after looking at the difference, how it can flow through tighter tolerances.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
MC filters are usually lighter then most ones I use. Id never use 0W anything in anything I own. Its just too thin. 213K on the mazda with 10W40. Ill sware by it.

MC filters are usually lighter then most ones I use. Id never use 0W anything in anything I own. Its just too thin. 213K on the mazda with 10W40. Ill sware by it.

well what filters you usually use? lol, cause theres an obvious weight difference between MC and other brands..

and i swear my truck runs 10 times better with 5w30.. whats it actually call for though?

Michigan
Read my thread. 5w30

but yours is a new 351.. i have a 1994 5.0 lol...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I know in my manual for whatever the temp, is the oil u use, there is usually a chart and it shows, 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30, ill have to look in my manual. I use the Fram High Mileage, or Extra Gard ones. There heavier then the MC one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts