Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Oil do you use?

WHats goin on guys..

was at the shop today and despretly needed to changed the oil on my truck.

I normally use 5 1/2 qts of 10W40 and a can of the engine restore.

Today i decided i wanted a free oil change, so i used the 5W30 oil we have on tap and the Motororcraft FL-1A filter as oppsed to the 10w40 and Fram Tough Guard filter...

So far, pressure seems normal and the engine runs great, doesnt have to fight itself to move..

What are you guys using in your trucks? and what do you reccomend?

usually 10w30 (manual recommends), but a few times in winter i think i've used 5w30 with no noticeable difference

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30-- all year round.

FL-182A motorcraft filter (same as FL-1A but not as long--- I can't fit the 1A on my truck).

And Brian I can't believe you're still using Fram filters after the thread that I posted... As well as everyone else explaining their bad experiences with them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well first of all...you did a good thing swapping to the Motorcraft filter (but I won't get into that topic). Secondly, as stated above, 10w30 is what it says to use in my manual. However, I always use Motorcraft 10w40 in everything, unless it needs something thicker.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I read a big long article a while back, written by a guy who use to work in the oil industry. There were a lot of points made about different oils and such-- but one of the things I remember was that his basic rule of thumb was to keep the "gap" between the two numbers as small as possible.

10w40 = 40-10 = 30
10w30 = 30-10 = 20

Something about how the larger the gap is, the quicker the oil breaks down and burns off it's additives. If someone knows the article that I'm talking about please post up the link here. It was VERY well written.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So what you're saying is that the 10w40 I use in my trucks basically breaks down at the same rate the 20w50 I use in my Bronco?

I've never claimed to understand oils, so this is gonna sound like a newbie question. What are the advantages of backing down to 10w30 in my trucks? Besides less 'work' to sling the oil around.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know if it's quite that simple Ben-- I seem to remember he just said it was kind of a "rule of thumb." The idea is that you want to pick the best oil fro your given climate where you use the vehicle, but within that climate you want to nail down that "range" as closely as you can. The two numbers are the different viscosities of the oil at high and low temp--- the "w" means "winter blend." I think the winter blend thing was adopted a while back but nowadays most all oils are "winter blends" so it doesn't mean much anymore.

Take my posts here with a grain of salt because I'm quoting from memory and I could be screwing up the facts here, lol.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Matt I believe that's the one!! Thanks :)

I know its a long read but its worth it. And that's coming from a guy who throws up when he sees books :rofl:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Here's the part of that article that I was referring to:

The wider the range of viscosities on the oil, the less durable and resistant it is to 'Viscosity Index Breakdown'. For example, 10W-30 oil does not have as much 'V.I. Improver' as 5W-30, so there are fewer additives to be broken down by the shearing of the engine. In fact, 10W-30 is by far the most 'durable' multi-vis oil there is. You should try to stay away from the wider spreads like 15W-50, 20W-50 and especially the 5W-50.

He goes more indepth on what that really means in the surrounding paragraphs, but that's the basic idea.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I gotcha Chris...I wasn't using it as fact...I was wondering if it was more or less a rule of thumb.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I use what I know best, 10w40 full syn. Usually Quaker State 4x4, pritty cheap in wallmart. Use Fram HM2, switched to XG2. I sware by fram and thats my statement, not gettin into it.

With oils, I never heard caus of the numbers and brakdown stuff, but 20W50 give me damn good oil pressure in the summer, but its too thick in the winter here. If you change your oil every 3K, i dont see that breakdown bs happening. Maybe if you go like 5k on normal, it dont matter what weight you use. Ive changed alot of oil, and if its 3K its still brownish, anything over that its always super black. Ive changed alot of oil at work, and damn it 60K on ur oil change isnt good lol, people are stupid. When you take the drain bolt out, and you have to wait for it to dabble out, ur engine is toast.

Michigan
Manual in my truck says 5W30. 6 quarts with filter change, i use motorcraft syn oil and motorcraft 850S filter

last 2 changes (i don't put more than 5,000 miles on my truck a year) i have used walmart supertech high mileage 10w30 and a MC FL1A filter. when i bought my truck it had a fram filter on it, since then i have been using the FL1A and notice a difference on the oil pressure gauge.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
RP 10dubya30

Doesn't that get expensive? It's like $7-8 a quart, as opposed to the $3.50 a quart MC is. Jesus I know it's an easy $30 everytime I wanna change my oil, at least one of them needs it every 2-3 months

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Doesn't that get expensive? It's like $7-8 a quart, as opposed to the $3.50 a quart MC is. Jesus I know it's an easy $30 everytime I wanna change my oil, at least one of them needs it every 2-3 months

Sure is but I love the stuff, i'd tell you why but every time I do I get told its in my head and i'm a dumb ass or at lest I did on the other site..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts