Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Valve Covers =] 56k warning

wow, no i need to retype everything..

Changed out my vlave covers today, went pretty smooth! All the bolts came out with out breaking!

Two problems, leaking gasket on pass side, YES there new gaskets and there being replaced tomorow. Two, check engine light comes on, and i almost put money on it that its the EGR, comes on when its warm.

Heres some pictures for you, and while you looking at them, answer me this, why were the rockers on the drivers side red? Normal? Or problem? And these covers have NEVER been taken off until today.

Another thing. I elimiated the PCV, just put a breather there. Plugged the vaccum port on the intake and on the snorkel.

Drivers%20side.jpg

Rockers%20DS.jpg

Rockers%20PS.jpg

Old%20Covers.jpg

New%20Covers.jpg

Yeah, that was weird. It loaded a thread for me earlier but there were no posts in it. Not even an OP... creepy. *twilight zone music*

LOL sitting here looking at my own pics, i now know why my check engine light is on, I forgot to reconnect the green vaccum host back to the EGR, LMAO

LOL sitting here looking at my own pics, i now know why my check engine light is on, I forgot to reconnect the green vaccum host back to the EGR, LMAO

Haha. Good that you figured it out. :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Couple questions Brian...

1) Why did you eliminate the PCV valve? It's there for a purpose-- "Should the intake manifold's pressure be higher than that of the crankcase (which can happen in a turbo charged engine or under certain conditions, such as an intake backfire), the PCV valve closes to prevent reversal of the exhausted air back into the crankcase again."

2) Which vac ports did you plug? Something about a snorkel? Please be more specific-- you may be causing damage to the engine.

considering the amount of sludge there was built up where the pcv valve was, it isnt going to make a difference, vaccumm port on the top of intake mani closest to front. And plugged the port on the air intake tube, the one where the hose that comes from the oil fill neck usually is

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Last edited:
Brian I implore you to put the PCV valve back in and unplug the port on your intake tube. it's a very important system-- helps keep your cylinder rings in good shape. Read this thread:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=265654&postcount=25

And the vac port that you plugged, where was that vac line going?

Once again, the vac line went from PCV valve to Upperr intake manifold. There is also another line that twent from the oil lfill tube to the air initake tube.

A brerather iis the same as PCV ini a way, plus, iif it was so imiperiitive, wouldnt there be a sensor??

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Brian the PCV system is there to equalize pressure between the crankcase and the intake manifold, by way of reinjecting fuel vapors in the crank case back into the intake stream. The valve is used to make sure that the pressure in the intake is never HIGHER than the pressure in the crankcase or you'll bring intake air directly into the crankcase.

The breather hose is part of the PCV system but it is NOT the same as the PCV valve. When the fuel vapors are pulled from the crankcase they must be displaced with new air or else the crankcase would become pressurized. The breather is the intake for that process so that when the PCV pulls air out, the breather can let new air in and keep the pressure in an acceptable range. Without the PCV you'll run the risk of building too much pressure in the intake and blowing intake air into your crankcase. Without the breather line you run the risk of pressurizing your crankcase and damaging your rings.

Put the system back in place. Just because it doesn't have a sensor does not mean it's not important.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
im with chris on this. put everything back. the pcv system is to equilize pressure in your crankcase to protect your rings. if you plug/undo them in 6 months time your truck will be blowing blue smoke.

dunno how im gunna do that, pcv wont clear...?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If a breather clears how come a pcv won't? On my 73 I have a breather with a pcv valve in it on pass. side and a plain breather on driver side. I also use the one on driver side for where to add oil.

i have a breather with a rubber grommit on the top where you would put the pcv. with the pcv, the intake mani cannot go all the way down.. after thinking for a few, i figured it out, im going to take the gromit from the old cover and put it in the new cover and put the pvc in there, voila!

now, i just need to figure out how to get the line from the oil fill side to the air intake hosing to work.. ideas?

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
Can't you use the stock filler neck and cap with the new valve covers? If that won't work just get creative. Whatever it takes to get a hose ran from the driver side valve cover to the airbox.

No i cannot use the stock filler neck, or cap...

As far as ive been told, PCV is just for emissions..

NOW, can anyone answer my rocker question??

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
PCV is not just for emissions. It really does serve a purpose as stated a few times already. We can't hold a gun to your head and make you keep it, but it is a good idea to :). If you still choose not to at least there won't be any mosquitos in your neighborhood with all the blue smoke smilieneenar

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts